Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

But there are also LOTS of people who think that vocalization is a drum corps program is okay if it follows the source material, and isn't intrusive. I can't yet say what the Cadets will do with this, but they'll have to get insanely creative in order to turn the 15 seconds of singing in the original piece into something else.... I'm just saying that this won't be another 2006-2008, with all of that vocalizing added in. I really believe this will be the 15 seconds from the original, and nothing else. I just wish people would have a little more faith in the Cadets.

I think with such a rabid and diverse fan base as drum corps has, it really isn't surprising that so little slack is being doled out for the Cadets, given the years you mentioned.

I am a Cadet honk, and those years (with the exception of 07) are really hard to swallow for me. It's not hard to see why there isn't much "faith" when you consider the corps/director/vocals.

It's a trifecta of controversy and (at times) downright disdain.

nothornline3.jpg

Well ya... these 2 arn't in a " horn line ".

These 2 appear to be in " uniform " and in some Corps " guard ".

Edited by BRASSO

I'm glad you've heard it then. I think most of people have done nothing more than look at the thread title, which is still obvious flame bait, and launch into a tirade against vocals, amps, and the Cadets. Just want people to listen to the original, and see how little the singing plays a part, before the try and tear down a show that hasn't even happened yet.

can't avoid it. like much of the music in DCi now, it's been all the rage in the band world. got curious about the hype, found a recording. Nice piece. I think much of it will work on the field.

I just prefer, like drum corps used to do, find creative ways to figure out the signing part.

I mean hell, I love Rush, but if i want to hear YYZ on the field, I want it done like how Suncoast did it during their 84 drum solo.

here is the deal... lots of music has been put on the drum corps field that has singing or strings in the original version. Part of drum corps is adapting that original to a brass and percussion orchestration, IMO. If I want to hear the piece with a singer, I will go to the concert hall.

perhaps SCV and Phantom need a string section for their classical works on the field? Then the pieces would be closer to the original and bring out all the emotions/feelings/etc that would otherwise be lost... just saying.

easily your best post ever

This is a good point. I guess I never thought that people wouldn't want show music to be close to the original because I always hear people complaining about the arrangements being chopped up.

I mean, frankly out of all the arguments "against" singing in drum corps this would have to be the best one. I do admire the ability of drum corps to adapt the orginal for brass and percussion. That is where part of the creativity is for sure.

So, though I'm not swayed on not having singing. You've made me see clearer the other side of the argument.

complaints about arrangements being chopped up has nothing to do with being identical in voicing to the original. it's about allowing musical ideas the space to grow and flow and not being 8 bars of transition to the next block form with body underneath power chord

Someone made a great point above...

We complain about chopped up music books that don't stay true to the source music.

And we complain about music books that remain TOO true to the source music.

Honestly, given arranging trend, I'd rather hear a sustained, beautiful melody from a singer that stays true to the intent of the composer RATHER than an artistic allusion to a musical work which, while appropriate and well-done in many situations, isn't necessarily as captivating on a primal, gut-wrenching, unsophisticated level. I appreciate many approaches and I hope that this arrangement is simply beautiful, regardless of instrumentation.

Then go pay to see a concert rather than a drum corps show. Pretty simple.

But there are also LOTS of people who think that vocalization is a drum corps program is okay if it follows the source material, and isn't intrusive. I can't yet say what the Cadets will do with this, but they'll have to get insanely creative in order to turn the 15 seconds of singing in the original piece into something else.... I'm just saying that this won't be another 2006-2008, with all of that vocalizing added in. I really believe this will be the 15 seconds from the original, and nothing else. I just wish people would have a little more faith in the Cadets.

No, there aren't a lot of people that think this way. There are select few that post 6000+ times to make it seem this way. The idea, and God forbid CHALLENGE, for drum corps is to convey music in it's intended media. Some people simply tolerate it because they want to go to a show.

Edited by Mello Dude

No, there aren't a lot of people that think this way. There are select few that post 6000+ times to make it seem this way. The idea, and God forbid CHALLENGE, for drum corps is to convey music in it's intended media. Some people simply tolerate it because they want to go to a show.

How can you be sure about any of your assumptions? I am pretty sure that there are lots of people who either don't mind amps and singing, or actually enjoy it. I enjoy this stuff, I like the progress. Again, like I said earlier, this is just the drum corps reality that I know. It's different than yours, but I don't see why it has to be worse or better than drum corps when you were a part of it. It's just different. Drum corps, same with life, society, and technology, are always changing and evolving. Not everyone likes it, sure, but that's not to say that there aren't lots of people that like it

And the intended media and venue for the music most drum corps play would be a concert hall, not a football field. Someone mentioned earlier if a corps should use strings in their shows to play the string parts from the originals, and while that's a little bit absurd, he's got a point. We don't see the music on the field the way it was intended, we see a version of it, another arrangement. Again, it all comes down to being different. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like one show, there's 22 more out there for you to watch.

How can you be sure about any of your assumptions? I am pretty sure that there are lots of people who either don't mind amps and singing, or actually enjoy it. I enjoy this stuff, I like the progress. Again, like I said earlier, this is just the drum corps reality that I know. It's different than yours, but I don't see why it has to be worse or better than drum corps when you were a part of it. It's just different. Drum corps, same with life, society, and technology, are always changing and evolving. Not everyone likes it, sure, but that's not to say that there aren't lots of people that like it

And the intended media and venue for the music most drum corps play would be a concert hall, not a football field. Someone mentioned earlier if a corps should use strings in their shows to play the string parts from the originals, and while that's a little bit absurd, he's got a point. We don't see the music on the field the way it was intended, we see a version of it, another arrangement. Again, it all comes down to being different. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like one show, there's 22 more out there for you to watch.

Well you painted with a broad brush, so simply borrowed it to paint it my way. I have NO problem with "change". But, when "change" makes it a marching band...then do some soul searching (and some reading on definitions) and call it marching band. There is nothing new here. MBI has been doing it for decades. If I purchase a ticket to see drum corps I want to see drum corps not marching band or a concert that I could go see to get my singing fix. It's akin to buying a ticket to go see a live Broadway Musical and when you get seated you end up watching Tron on the big screen and having someone tell you that Tron IS a musical and that I'm not open minded enough to adapt to change.