Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

You just described the anti-voice, synth, amp crowd quite well.

No, its not that at all. The idea and challenge is to create a highly entertaining show of marching/music for the members and fans. The 'intended media' is marching, music and guard on a football field.

MikeD-19,839 Posts

Mello Dude-648 Posts

Also, your media without restrictions or "uniqueness", is what we in the world call marching band.

• Like 2

My guess would be similar to the original work. There is some singing at the beginning and at the end of Angels in the Architecture, but none in the middle.

It only rained twice last week, once for three days and once for four days.

Speaking of rain, if I attend any shows that the Cadets are scheduled for next year and this actually does come to pass, I will be praying for light rain...not enough to cancel the show, but enough to keep the electronics off the field. At LOS, well I guess they'll be this year's "hot dog corps".

Fixed. Vocals of any kind in drum corps makes me gag, I've never one time heard it done in any way that benefited the program.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you. Then on of my friends showed me a video from BOA Grand Nationals, the group from Tarpon Springs High School with their show "Paranormal", and it completely changed my opinion on how marching shows should be done. Just a few bullet points of information:

- It starts with synth

- The first instrument you hear is an amplified Soprano Sax solo.

- Props run rampant across the entire field

- Sound effects are everywhere

- Vocals are constant

- There's an amplified clarinet solo about 2/3 the way through

We got done watching the video (on that one site... you know....), and my friend turned to me and said "now did you notice anything different?" I said no, I was too busy noticing how incredible their performance was and how awesome the show was as a whole. I was floored and went back to watch again after he said "did you notice there wasn't a drumline? All the percussion was either front ensemble or the electronics."

So was I angry? No. Their show wasn't missing anything. At least not from an objective, purely entertainment-based perspective. Did I immediately think "oh they should have had a drumline?" At first yes. But then I thought about it some more... But that's another topic entirely.

Now I know this doesn't immediately touch on the singing. But what I'm pressing is more so that I don't believe that it matters how anyone gets their point across, so long as they do it well. If the Cadets are going to use a vocal major for various parts of the show, as long as it's done tastefully and shows respect to the source material, then more power to them.

And don't go all "they're not going to do it tastefully" on me. I know what things have been like in the past. I may only be 21, but I've followed drum corps my whole life. I know what they have done, and I also know what they can do. And what they can potentially do means a whole lot more to me than the past.

Bottom line - I love the source music, having performed it this past semester with the wind symphony I'm in. I'm excited for the Cadets to do this particular Ticheli because they always do well with Ticheli pieces. If the summer comes and I hate what they're doing then, then I'll hate it. But not until then. Everyone hated 2006, and the Cadets know that. So maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. Let's wait to pass judgement until there's evidence for it being bad.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you. Then on of my friends showed me a video from BOA Grand Nationals, the group from Tarpon Springs High School with their show "Paranormal", and it completely changed my opinion on how marching shows should be done. Just a few bullet points of information:

- It starts with synth

- The first instrument you hear is an amplified Soprano Sax solo.

- Props run rampant across the entire field

- Sound effects are everywhere

- Vocals are constant

- There's an amplified clarinet solo about 2/3 the way through

We got done watching the video (on that one site... you know....), and my friend turned to me and said "now did you notice anything different?" I said no, I was too busy noticing how incredible their performance was and how awesome the show was as a whole. I was floored and went back to watch again after he said "did you notice there wasn't a drumline? All the percussion was either front ensemble or the electronics."

So was I angry? No. Their show wasn't missing anything. At least not from an objective, purely entertainment-based perspective. Did I immediately think "oh they should have had a drumline?" At first yes. But then I thought about it some more... But that's another topic entirely.

Now I know this doesn't immediately touch on the singing. But what I'm pressing is more so that I don't believe that it matters how anyone gets their point across, so long as they do it well. If the Cadets are going to use a vocal major for various parts of the show, as long as it's done tastefully and shows respect to the source material, then more power to them.

And don't go all "they're not going to do it tastefully" on me. I know what things have been like in the past. I may only be 21, but I've followed drum corps my whole life. I know what they have done, and I also know what they can do. And what they can potentially do means a whole lot more to me than the past.

Bottom line - I love the source music, having performed it this past semester with the wind symphony I'm in. I'm excited for the Cadets to do this particular Ticheli because they always do well with Ticheli pieces. If the summer comes and I hate what they're doing then, then I'll hate it. But not until then. Everyone hated 2006, and the Cadets know that. So maybe they'll learn from their mistakes. Let's wait to pass judgement until there's evidence for it being bad.

Bozzly said drum corps, not marching band...marching band can sing all they want.

Ah, this. This analogy gets thrown around a lot, but can't escape a serious flaw: the way technology has changed can be seen as nothing but progress in that field. No one complains that operating systems or processors or what-have-you were produced much better twenty years ago than they are today. No one would pine for the days when they could use the hardware and software of the "golden age" of computing instead of today's top-of-the-line multi-core setup or computer that you literally keep in your pocket. It's progress in every sense of the word, in that what was achieved in 1995 could have not physically been achieved five years prior, and technology of 1985 would have seemed like a dream in 1980. (If the travel industry had progressed at the same rate that the computer industry did since its inception, by now we'd be able to travel to the opposite side of the world in a few seconds, no questions asked.)

Right... nobody prefers older technology... because nobody prefers classic cars, I don't know people who still use notepad for software development, nobody ever complains about cell phones, there aren't people who prefer older movies or music to the movies and music of today, and everyone prefers modern art over classic art.

You are right, progress in drum corps is completely different :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Right... nobody prefers older technology... because nobody prefers classic cars, I don't know people who still use notepad for software development, nobody ever complains about cell phones, there aren't people who prefer older movies or music to the movies and music of today, and everyone prefers modern art over classic art.

Everybody LOVED Windows Vista...

:rolleyes:

Everybody LOVED Windows Vista...

:rolleyes:

Like a stick in the eye...LOL. But, it sure was nice of people to buy Vista so the Beta testing of Windows 7 was done right! ;)

I never said anything about movies or cars or art.

I highly doubt any software developer you know who develops primarily in Notepad has ever shipped a product to consumers.

• Like 1

I never said anything about movies or cars or art.

Of course you didn't, because they didn't support your argument. That's what you do. Movies, cars, and art have all had changing technology, just like drum corps, and some people complain about those changes, just like in drum corps. Your response to fsubone falls completely apart when you look outside of the very specific hardware examples you provided.

Of course you didn't, because they didn't support your argument. That's what you do. Movies, cars, and art have all had changing technology, just like drum corps, and some people complain about those changes, just like in drum corps. Your response to fsubone falls completely apart when you look outside of the very specific hardware examples you provided.

Good point, actually. But when DCI goes belly up in 10 years, all of this will be irrelevant anyway.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 2