Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Obviously we all have different opinions but its good that in a way you don't completely exclude yourself from a program because it contains things you don't like.

I remember this one Cavalier fan sat behind me in 2005 and when the Cadets came on he started screaming "GET THAT @%#$%@# DOOR OFF THE FIELD!" he left before the performance even started because of it! I mean, that kind of mentality doesn't do anyone any good. I wonder how he felt when the Cavies had ladders the year after... :P

probably the same as the Cadets fan behind me in Allentown in 06 that said "all the Cavies do is imitate C3PO."

goes both ways ya know.

• Like 1

Yes!

Maybe?

"No" to what?

No to the use of unamplified singing?

No to the use of unamplified woodwinds?

No to the idea that drum corps is essentially an acoustic endeavor?

No to the conclusion that if the former is true, then amplification must be a dirty shortcut?

No to the parallels between amplification in drum corps and steroids / corked bats in baseball?

No to the suggestion that show designers lean on amplification to solve problems that used to be solved without that crutch?

No to the idea that SCV would've been less impressive using a helicopter sample than drums to create that effect in 1991?

No to the offered compromise that would force designers to think more creatively again? (Supposed) reward balanced with risk?

In short, could you be more specific?

George Hopkins

Edited by BRASSO

Many have worked well with them too. So...it's up to the designers to use the available tools as they see fit.

I've yet to see a show with amplified singing other than a synth patch worked or blended well, including 06 Cadets. And IMO, the visual staging of the singer also created issues because she was to be a spotlight and yet too much was going on behind her as a distraction.

• Like 1

Are you saying use a synth patch in the place of vocals where the sound of human voice (replicating that of an angel) is as critical as the lyrics are that she is singing?! wow.

I mean, I love electronics and I even think THAT is over doing it.

I mean, if you're able to keep the integrity of the piece by keeping the vocals why wouldn't you! It's so lovely, angelic, and would add a very nice mystique to the opening of the cadets 2011 production.

For all we know, this singing section could be part of the pre-show.

Goodness me. I've never thought anyone would be against singing. It's perfect in side and outside drum corps context ESPECIALLY when its a solo as it appears to be in Angels in the Architecture. (can't cover Brass sound since in AITA there is only sound effects behind her voice.

I suggest it because to date, no drum corps or marching unit I have seen has been able to blend voice in nearly as well as a synth patch. and with pre-recorded vocals being legal, boom hit a key and there you go.

personally, I'd rather not have either. I'm pretty sure the show would be awesome without it, but my real fear is, they start with some, and keep adding more, and in the end overdoing it like they do with every gimmick in their shows the last 6 years

When was the last time there was singing in drum corps? 2006 Cadets?

I know the cadets also sung an "Amen" one year.

Any other times corps sang?

Okay, well 2006 is really the only time there was soloist singer...

ONCE. Out of all the years of Drum corps there was ONE time where there was a singer. You people need to give it more than a single chance!

Some people appreciate the elements of innovation JUST AS MUCH as the elements of tradition. You traditionalist get all the corps you want going the traditionalist route. Can't we progressives get what we want too? AKA the best of both worlds?! I get my loud brass, awesome percussion and guard and the twist of innovation on the field! What's not to love?!

Don't complain that the cadets are using vocals, it makes you sound selfish because people DO want drum corps to be about something more than just loud notes on G bugles. Thanks.

um...how to put this nicely.....once was enough.

I don't watch American Idol for a reason

I like hockey and I like drum corps. It is not innovative to put them together and make DCI members march with hockey sticks.

Why is putting a vocalist in a drum corps show innovative?

hmmm. let's see...drum break....guard members drop their sticks and gloves and go at it...jerseys getting pulled over their heads, swinging wildly....

I smell a Broad Street Bullies show swirling in my head!

I don't know if this question has been asked or not, but would people get angry if it were voice sampling as opposed to an actual person singing, like what Cavies did last year in Mad World? I understand it's hard to compare seeing as how we haven't heard what Cadets are talking about doing with this years show, but it is still singing what Cavies had in their show, and it did a great job of adding to the concept of the show, in my humble opinion of course.

as said before, synth seems to blend better

Just want to remind everyone how the beginning of "Angels in the Architecture" sounds with the vocals and such.

Thanks. It's very pretty -- and lots of other vocal pieces arranged for drum corps over the years also are lovely. I look forward to seeing how the Cadets adapt those vocals to brass and percussion instruments.

Unless Jeff already mentioned it, Westshoremen Sr corps sang on the field (entire verse of a song) as a closer in the 80s (forget the year). This year my Alumni type corps sings at the beginning of our "Men of Harlech" number (thank you Mr D).

Westshore singing can be found on the DCA recordings.

http://www.hanoverlancers.com/ has vid of "Men of Harlech" including the singing. Funny part is the Alumni favoring audience seemed to enjoy it. (8:00 mark)

OK... the difference is now it's amped... :cool: Other than that nothing new under the sun...

Note to mods... the link is to the Lancers website which I believe IS allowed for vids.....

Music by John Miles in 1981, tho no recordings as it was changed before finals.

in 1987 tho they did sing