Rivals

I know over the years there was some mud slung between Westshore and Bucs, but it was more from Westshore because usually Bucs were in the hunt and we were hunting to make finals. Usually the only stupidity took place during one of Westshore's folding/comeback periods, and then it was mostly words

Yep, WSM would break up and members would go to the Buccs. Then WSM would reform and tell the ex-members that they could come back. But by then the ex-WSMers were happy at Reading and decide to stay. And THAT went over very badly for some Shore members.

And Jeff knows that's putting it nicely. 1984 thought I'd see a fight between two WSM members over it. One was verbally slamming the people who "walked away form Westshore to join Reading" and the other guy said "How could they walk away when the corps didn't exist at the time". Response was a blank look but you could see the steam coming out of the first guys ears.

And judging by some things I heard and saw lately the first guy STILL ain't totally over it. :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I heard a story from way back about Reilly and Archie....don't know if it's true or not. Archie had a guy that danced barefoot. At one show some Reilly people spread out thumb tacks on the field on his spot.

True or myth?

TRUE!

I heard it directly from a Raider and a Musketeer who were there for the incident. Archie was doing a show based on music from "The King and I" and Vince Deegan was the king, a la Yul Brynner. I think it was 1958.

Some of the stuff that went on between corps BITD were pure 'gamesmanship'. Today, people would say it wasn't PC. So what? The idea was to get inside the head of the competition and let them deal with it.

There was the time at Nationals in Ebbetts Field when Reilly was coming into the stadium, off the back sideline, out of step with Prince, who was on the field at the time, coming backfield. They definitely got into Prince's head that night. Oh yeah, Reilly was crowned National Champion that night.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester

TRUE!

I heard it directly from a Raider and a Musketeer who were there for the incident. Archie was doing a show based on music from "The King and I" and Vince Deegan was the king, a la Yul Brynner. I think it was 1958.

Some of the stuff that went on between corps BITD were pure 'gamesmanship'. Today, people would say it wasn't PC. So what? The idea was to get inside the head of the competition and let them deal with it.

There was the time at Nationals in Ebbetts Field when Reilly was coming into the stadium, off the back sideline, out of step with Prince, who was on the field at the time, coming backfield. They definitely got into Prince's head that night. Oh yeah, Reilly was crowned National Champion that night.

Ray

Now that is funny!

There was one I heard from someone who was at a Skyliners party after DCA one of the years Cabs won. A guy from Sky was watching the Jerry Lewis telethon. A small group stood around him...he said watch this. The local portion came on and thanked the World Champion Hawthorne Caballeros for their pledge of x amount of $$. They said oh cool..that was really good of them. The guy from Sky said--I did that!

Yep, WSM would break up and members would go to the Buccs. Then WSM would reform and tell the ex-members that they could come back. But by then the ex-WSMers were happy at Reading and decide to stay. And THAT went over very badly for some Shore members.

And Jeff knows that's putting it nicely. 1984 thought I'd see a fight between two WSM members over it. One was verbally slamming the people who "walked away form Westshore to join Reading" and the other guy said "How could they walk away when the corps didn't exist at the time". Response was a blank look but you could see the steam coming out of the first guys ears.

And judging by some things I heard and saw lately the first guy STILL ain't totally over it. :doh:

and the 98 stuff ruined some long friendships

Now that is funny!

There was one I heard from someone who was at a Skyliners party after DCA one of the years Cabs won. A guy from Sky was watching the Jerry Lewis telethon. A small group stood around him...he said watch this. The local portion came on and thanked the World Champion Hawthorne Caballeros for their pledge of x amount of $$. They said oh cool..that was really good of them. The guy from Sky said--I did that!

HAHA ... another one of those fokelore stories that morphs through the years ... the original version had the Hurcs pledging Reading's 1st place "prize money" from the 1968 DCA Championships ... problem was there was no prize money!!! ...

Andy "I also saw the Melon Heads in CT once" Lisko

Hmmm what was that? The Syracuse incident?

there was one incident in 2001 between ES and Cru, but it died out quickly. I was amazed during my time up there it wasnt worse

Since most people from both corps didnt even know about it, including me, I would hardly call that an "incident".

Rivalries don't have to include arguing and fighting. Cru had a very friendly rivalrie with the Grennies, eh?

95 and 96...a little tension between Empire and Westshore perhaps.

DA

Edited by Donny Drum Corps

nm... double post somehow

DA

Edited by Donny Drum Corps

If it was in Syracuse it was NO biggie. I just remember that being the only thing that might have been an "incident." I think Cru got along with all corps...to include Empire!

Since most people from both corps didnt even know about it, including me, I would hardly call that an "incident".

Rivalries don't have to include arguing and fighting. Cru had a very friendly rivalrie with the Grennies, eh?

95 and 96...a little tension between Empire and Westshore perhaps.

DA