Shane Gwaltney

I guess this brings up an interesting question that may already have answers given two audition camps are on the books. Any one have any idea how the SCV auditions have gone and where returning members stand compared to the champs?

This would be interesting to see. I've heard that rennick ranks people at every audition. I wonder where the PR vets ranked in relation to the SCV vets?

Food for thought, if Rennick came to SCV without a single Phantom member, you'd still have an extremely high liklihood of an improved product.

I don't know that I would agree with that statement. I don't think Rennick is a better instructor than Gusseck. I think Gusseck takes more risks in what he teaches. Sometimes the risks that he takes pay off, and sometimes they don't. How many groups would risk teaching Moeller concepts to an entire battery, knowing that in can be incredibly difficult to clean. That Moeller approach is what won them drums in 2004 though. Gusseck is willing to take the risk in the hopes to teach the kids new concepts and ideas.

Rennick on the other hand, much like the drum corps mainstream, has a program, and a method that works. That method is calculated. He'll try new things, but only if he thinks they will be successful. He also is almost always armed with a drum line full of his students from UNT. It has been that way since he was at Crown, and will continue to be that way at SCV. So essentially, everywhere he goes, he has huge numbers of vets to pull from in order to fill the line, rather than having to settle for those who audition for the group at first. The fact is, we don't really know how well he can teach because we've never seen him with a group of rookies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Rennick, or questioning his methods or anything like that. I have a lot of respect for both approaches. I try to incorporate both into my own teaching. I'm just pointing out that much of Rennick's success has a lot to do with the personnel he's able to draw from to field a line every year. It would be pretty easy to put together a great line if you never had any rookies.

The fact is, we don't really know how well he can teach because we've never seen him with a group of rookies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting Rennick, or questioning his methods or anything like that. I have a lot of respect for both approaches. I try to incorporate both into my own teaching. I'm just pointing out that much of Rennick's success has a lot to do with the personnel he's able to draw from to field a line every year. It would be pretty easy to put together a great line if you never had any rookies.

This makes good common sense...why would he not use grad students, etc. to teach his "students" chops and then select his drum corps line from there?

I believe Rennick marketed and sold his championship drumline...a.k.a. his UNT students...to the highest bidder. Knowing full well corps members would remain loyal, he knew if he left...they would follow. SCV basically traded in their drumline for a better group of students...in essense sending their existing line to mingle among the clowns. Hey, it is a free country and anyone can do this if successful, but how do you like them apples the next time you hear "Send in the Clowns" kid who worked 3 jobs while in college to march SCV? This pattern of caption head self promotion and putting students on the auction block in this activity stinks to the kids and fans alike. Places like BD have loyalty among their caption heads, why can't other corps learn from this model? Perhaps this is a key to their long term success...and thus their loyal and supportive fan base deserves this much? From the outside looking in, I see the Rennick brand included in a group of players of the system supported by donors, etc. to pay their salaries. SCV is a fine organization, but careful what you wish for. Who wouldn't want their drumline trained year round on University_of_North_Texas time and equipment...just sayin...

But with regard to Shane Gwaltney, I believe he has a ripened opportunity here to build a fine program. As a donor to the PR organizattion, I will gladly help in that effort. It will likely not be easy the first few years. My hope is that he surrounds himself with people who have a vision for long range program building and using a high standard of excellence, work ethic, and character to create upper class arrangements and competitive success. Here is to the PR drummers and their instructional team much success...the world is your oyster!!!

I don't know that I would agree with that statement. I don't think Rennick is a better instructor than Gusseck. I think Gusseck takes more risks in what he teaches. Sometimes the risks that he takes pay off, and sometimes they don't. How many groups would risk teaching Moeller concepts to an entire battery, knowing that in can be incredibly difficult to clean. That Moeller approach is what won them drums in 2004 though. Gusseck is willing to take the risk in the hopes to teach the kids new concepts and ideas.

Rennick on the other hand, much like the drum corps mainstream, has a program, and a method that works. That method is calculated. He'll try new things, but only if he thinks they will be successful. He also is almost always armed with a drum line full of his students from UNT. It has been that way since he was at Crown, and will continue to be that way at SCV. So essentially, everywhere he goes, he has huge numbers of vets to pull from in order to fill the line, rather than having to settle for those who audition for the group at first. The fact is, we don't really know how well he can teach because we've never seen him with a group of rookies.

The books that Rennick writes IMO are among the riskiest and most challenging in DCI IMO. It is Rennicks method, as you mention, that sets him apart, which is why I feel SCV would benifit from his presence with or with out Phantom members in tow. This is in no way a slam on Gusseck who I consider to be one of the tastier writers out there, it is instead an endorsement of Rennick's uncanny ability to do what he does.

I believe Rennick marketed and sold his championship drumline...a.k.a. his UNT students...to the highest bidder. Knowing full well corps members would remain loyal, he knew if he left...they would follow. SCV basically traded in their drumline for a better group of students...in essense sending their existing line to mingle among the clowns. Hey, it is a free country and anyone can do this if successful, but how do you like them apples the next time you hear "Send in the Clowns" kid who worked 3 jobs while in college to march SCV? This pattern of caption head self promotion and putting students on the auction block in this activity stinks to the kids and fans alike. Places like BD have loyalty among their caption heads, why can't other corps learn from this model? Perhaps this is a key to their long term success...and thus their loyal and supportive fan base deserves this much? From the outside looking in, I see the Rennick brand included in a group of players of the system supported by donors, etc. to pay their salaries. SCV is a fine organization, but careful what you wish for. Who wouldn't want their drumline trained year round on University_of_North_Texas time and equipment...just sayin...

I agree, this is spot on IMO.

Just to clarify a key debated point, there are only about 7 UNT/PR vets going to SCV. There are 30+ percussionist in the battery and pit, so Rennick does not "train" his entire line year round at UNT. He has to teach a full drumline consisting of students from many different colleges (and high schools), just like any other drum corps instructor. Give the man some credit for his teaching and writing skills, that's what wins championships.

Edited by steeldrum

As a former student of Paul Rennick and many other instructors, I can honestly say that Paul Rennick is the smartest arranger and best educator in the marching percussion world today. His students aren't just good because they go to UNT, they are good because HE TEACHES them. Whether thats at UNT or Crown/PR/SCV. Not to mention, the Rennicks have put together the most talented staff in DCI, and it has been that was since the early PR days. The students are loyal to Paul because of how much they learn during a summer of marching one of his groups.

I have a crazy idea. Why don't we all wait until after the first show?

What a novel approach! :thumbup:

But don't ya think it's much more exciting insinuating what we have no idea about and deflating the energy of new leadership with our couch-potato analysis. Oh, this is going to be fun! (said in Stewie's voice) :lookaround:

Edited by Plan9

What a novel approach! :thumbup:

But don't ya think it's much more exciting insinuating what we have no idea about and deflating the energy of new leadership with our couch-potato analysis. Oh, this is going to fun! (said in Stewie's voice) :lookaround:

To survive on DCP not only must you have an uncanny ability to instantly forget your incorrect predictions, you must be an expert at almost everything.

Just to clarify a key debated point, there are only about 7 UNT/PR vets going to SCV.

If what you say is true then it really puts this debate into an entirely new light.

Paul will do fine at SCV. Shane will do fine at PR. Neither line will suck.