Drill with Music

They did so in a way that seems obvious and primitive today, but that's exactly what SCV did with the fugue section of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

1973, 1974, or 1981?

Not really that recent but Cavaliers 2000-2006

IMHO, those aren't good examples of "drill fitting the music" but more "music arranged to fit the drill". There's a big difference.

"Drill fitting the music" is more like almost everything that George Zingali designed. Most of his Garfield/Cadets and Star shows are so musical in the drill writing that you can turn the sound off and still "see" the music. Every melody, countermelody, running line, etc. in the music appears in some way on the field.

On the contrary, you can turn the sound off while watching most of the Cavies shows from 2000 on and you're still amazed at the formations but have no idea what they might be playing (or if they're playing).

In 2010, the best by far for "drill fitting the music" was SCV. I also thought Mark did a pretty good job making BK's drill compliment their music - that was a very under-rewarded show IMHO.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever played a fugue while doing the same thing visually? I always thought that would be cool.

I think Cavaliers 2004 (before the gun fight) and Cavaliers 2007 fit those pretty well. 2004 being the better example.

"Drill fitting the music" is more like almost everything that George Zingali designed. Most of his Garfield/Cadets and Star shows are so musical in the drill writing that you can turn the sound off and still "see" the music. Every melody, countermelody, running line, etc. in the music appears in some way on the field.

thank you!

I was almost angry (not really) at the lack of mentiona of George or Star. When I think "drill fitting the music" I think Star. 86 and 91 come to mind, but my guess wouuld be that any of their shows are great examples.

the drill for the z pull and cross to cross are what comes to mind for me when I think of drill matching the music...the cavies sine wave does, also....troopers sunburst...I think the drill for Mad World was pretty fitting for the music...

They did so in a way that seems obvious and primitive today, but that's exactly what SCV did with the fugue section of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

Same with 27th in 1982 (Niner Two)...same song, but 2 differing meters and tempos.

Renegades did it in 03...watching their DM CONDUCT in 2 different tempos and meters -- one per hand -- always blew my mind.

'84 Suncoast :cool: