Still Impressed?

...But to get back on-topic: I spent the past year watching DCI's "Legacy" 1974-1999 DVD collection plus the more recent DVDs (World Class only; and I have yet to watch the top three from 2009 --though I did see those in the QF theater-cast-- and the non-Finalist corps from 2006 and 2009) and I find the "wow" moments fairly evenly distributed since the mid-1980s, the execution better than ever in recent years, the design pretty consistent in aesthetics (though it can be hard to tell with the multicam videography, some of it awful, used before the past decade) and obviously greatly increased in difficulty, but the music less consistently engaging -- particularly in the bottom Finals spots, where the 1980s shows are much more musically entertaining than the 2000s shows. It's not the choices as such (my tastes are rather catholic) but the presentation. And of course the recent technological additions bother me a good deal, but I've discussed that ad nauseum in another thread.

Interesting observations.

Every year I'm treated to something new to keep me coming back. Sometimes it's dramatic (Spartacus), sometimes thrilling (Cadets running company front), comical (Bluecoats "drop your weapons..."), poignant (Crown's Rainbow/Somewhere ballad), imaginative (BD mirrors) or magical (Cavies Machine). And there's more. Can't wait to see what they have for me next year.

HH

For me personally, I've found the years that I'm most engaged with DCI are those where I got to see a live show. Which in recent times was 2000-2003, 2005, and 2008. The ones where I see video only are those that tend to be "down" years in my mind.

Mike

For me personally, I've found the years that I'm most engaged with DCI are those where I got to see a live show. Which in recent times was 2000-2003, 2005, and 2008. The ones where I see video only are those that tend to be "down" years in my mind.

Mike

Then see shows live every year!

Every year it seems I am still impressed with what the kids are able to do on the field, mind blowing what they can get done on the field. Its everything else that strains me. But agian as I look forward to another great season of Drum Corps, I find it harder and harder to just watch the kids on the field and not think about the drama that goes on behind the closed doors that most know nothing about. I ask myself if the ones in charge are doing what they do for the betterment of the activity or the betterment of themselves. Impressed-yes. Worried about the future of Drum Corps-Yes. Do I think Drum Corps will be around so my 4 yr old twins will have the same experience I had-? Thats what strains me, but I sure am impressed at what the kids do on the field.

I ask myself if the ones in charge are doing what they do for the betterment of the activity or the betterment of themselves.

I just don't see drum corps being the kind of activity where it seems advantageous to be "selfish". I mean, banking, government, business, sure... but drum corps? The best way to put, i think, is to know that people who spend time with drum corps are only doing things that what they're doing will benefit the activity, music, the arts, kids, everyone. But, there are disagreements on those perceptions.

Edited by charlie1223

I just don't see drum corps being the kind of activity where it seems advantageous to be "selfish". I mean, banking, government, business, sure... but drum corps? The best way to put, i think, is to know that people who spend time with drum corps are only doing things that what they're doing will benefit the activity, music, the arts, kids, everyone. But, there are disagreements on those perceptions.

Did you read the G7 presentation?