TCU Marching Band

So which bands, in your opinion, sound that way? Any that are any good?

Most bands in the Big 10, to me, sound like poo. There are some exceptions.

Southern "show bands" are pretty much offensive to multiple senses.

I hate to paint all college marching bands with the same brush but I get the sense that not a whole lot is said about tone quality.

Most bands in the Big 10, to me, sound like poo. There are some exceptions.

Southern "show bands" are pretty much offensive to multiple senses.

I hate to paint all college marching bands with the same brush but I get the sense that not a whole lot is said about tone quality.

Well, what else one would expect from the "Big 10 even though we have 11?!?"

I know I'm biased, but The University of Tennessee's Pride of the Southland always sounds really good to me. At the Battle of the Bands the night before the Music City Bowl, my sister noted how POTS (that marches ~300) wasn't as loud compared to UNC's, but I pointed out how in tune they play. Dr. Sousa and Dr. Ryder always put out an excellent and consistent product.

I agree about TCU being one of the better college marching bands out there. I think most college marching bands around, including some very high profile ones, sound like garbage. They sound like 200 trumpets and trombones all trying to play louder than the person standing next to them.

This. I was pretty offended by the sound Wisconsin's band was putting out.

This. I was pretty offended by the sound Wisconsin's band was putting out.

I like football and both bands had good TV coverage imo. In fairness, their marching style may have been a contributing factor and caused the instruments to jostle. The lower body should control and support the upper body that needs to float and extend to allow the music to project through the lungs and core. Core is situps, pilates, yoga. The corps that floated like SCV in 73 was Blue Stars in 2010 imo :-)

I like football and both bands had good TV coverage imo. In fairness, their marching style may have been a contributing factor and caused the instruments to jostle. The lower body should control and support the upper body that needs to float and extend to allow the music to project through the lungs and core. Core is situps, pilates, yoga. The corps that floated like SCV in 73 was Blue Stars in 2010 imo :-)

Actually, I agree completely. That marching style definitely contributes to the sound.

Is it just another variant of the Bill Holman arrangement as used in Madison '96, Blast!, etc.? Obviously each has their own tweaks (intro, solos, percussion, etc.). I'm curious as to how close TCU's rendition was to Don Hill's take on the arrangement for the Cadets.

spot on close to Cadets take, right down to some of the drum parts

Actually, I agree completely. That marching style definitely contributes to the sound.

Thanks. I rarely opine. One of these days I may speak from my heart and not my mind. In the meantime, I'm off to the research department but before I do; I'm sending new year hugs to you!

Its been what, 8 years since malaguena's been put on by a DCI WC Corps? Like to see it pulled out again.