Question on scores and judging

SCV has an entirely new brass staff, one that is completely in line with CI, having won brass titles at Cavaliers.

SCV has Rennick, including all of the vets from 2010. Another proven commodity.

SCV still has Poulan and Webber. Consistency is also one of the observations of CI.

SCV has plenty of CI. It's totally within the realm of possibility that they win soon.

Now I'm not even sure if you were being serious...

I am serious. While I generally endorse the CI concept, I doubt its the ability to be predictive where SCV is concerned at this point in time. Surely you don't think the CI qualification lasts forever, do you? CI can't possibly give Madison the same opportunity this year to win DCI as Crown (or even BD).

Separately, this is the first time I've seen you assign CI to staff/captions. Is this a new iteration?

HH

I am serious. While I generally endorse the CI concept, I doubt its the ability to be predictive where SCV is concerned at this point in time. Surely you don't think the CI qualification lasts forever, do you? CI can't possibly give Madison the same opportunity this year to win DCI as Crown (or even BD).

Separately, this is the first time I've seen you assign CI to staff/captions. Is this a new iteration?

HH

Have to agree there - I think in general terms you can predict trends; I'm not so sure about the specific. (Though I would like to point out that for 2007 and 2008, I tracked how a corps finished during the season against their final placement that year - basically how they improved against each other, and found almost *no* movement.)

Mike

The CI Theory formalizes this process (using Scientific Method: Observation/Data/Hypothesis/Test), and then draws some easily falsifiable conclusions, most notably: Now one can win without first coming in 2nd or 3rd.

That errant W gives your conclusion a meaning exactly opposite of what you intended.

Critiques no longer occur in DCI from what I understand, so the staff arguing their points to the judges is no longer the case as it was in the past.

Phil, they don't exist as an after performance gripe session as we knew it in our day.

They changed to a before show design session to help judges to better understand the design intent and modifications made.

Are judges' comments still recorded to be shared with the corps?

And do judges ever question the "design intent"? For instance, could a judge have said to Phantom Regiment in 2008: "The idea of giving the story of Spartacus a triumphant ending is historically offensive", and reduced the G.E. score accordingly?

HH

I did post an add-on to the original CI thread about the captions.

Once again, CI kicks in only when it's close. If Madison is in the same league, same ballpark as one of the newer elites, Madison will get every "tie to the runner." It doesn't even matter where the placement might be; maybe battling for 5th or 6th, for all we know. The corps with the highest CI will get the nod.

What we can bicker over (and I look forward to it) is the amount of CI, and why. Again, this assumes the corps are relatively equal (have I said that enough times yet?)

CI is about consistent excellence; consistency of excellent relationships; consistency of an excellent message; consistency of excellent methods and process; consistency of excellent salesmanship and marketing. Who has more of those things than anyone? ANS: BD. Any year they don't win (or almost win) is practically considered a "down year" for them.

Was 2010 a down year for Cadets? Crown and Bloo have moved into that territory for now. SOMEONE has to finish 5th, lol. Just like 2007: SOMEONE had to finish 7th: Lo and behold, it was the corps with the lowest CI at the time, Bluecoats. But they made some noise that year, especially in brass, winning every regional and even Quarters. But the CI Masters took over for Semis and Finals, and put them 4th in brass. Still, Bloo built up some credibility, as did Crown.

So we have to ask: Do Bloo or Crown have more CI than Cadets now? HARDLY!!! Bluecoats were so good this year, IT WAS OBVIOUS. It would make the judges look STUPID to deny it. That's the only time CI isn't a factor. but it has to be OBVIOUS. Crown was OBVIOUSLY better in 2009. In fact, lots of DCP peeps think Crown shoudl've won! Um...nope, and CI is the reason. As good as they were, they weren't OBVIOUSLY better than the CI Elite, BD.

Bloo and Crown will have to keep beating Cadets; that is, keep making it obvious!!

(Some might even argue that Hopkins is causing a reverse-CI...just by his mere annoyance, he loses "tie to the runner" when he used to win those.)

So, if I understand, SCV has less CI at this point than either Crown or Bluecoats. Cadets have more than SCV but less (maybe) than Crown or Blue. Cavies and BD have uber CI. Madison's CI is irrelevant vis a vis the top eight until they can compete in that category.

Not sure where this leaves us with regard to the SCV staff/captions. Seems like more information than I'm ready to process at the moment anyway.

HH

PS: The reverse CI-Hopkins theory is interesting.