Define Dark

Seems like the label of "dark" gets applied awful liberally these days. What makes a show dark, and as opposed to what? Sunshiny? :huh:

I have probably used 'dark' to describe some of the music featured by DCI corps in the past.

I like moderation....I want to hear light, dark and every thing in between. Unfortunately...I think dark and dissonant themes have run the table the last several seasons. I remember someone writing a show review not to long ago say he barely heard any major chords during the first hour or so of the show. I mean...how many light in to dark shows/themes or just straight dark shows have there been within the last 5 - 10 seasons ? Quite a few I think. I know there were quite a few from the Open Class corps in 2009. You add them all up (WGI, drumline, DCA, DCI and Marching band)....it's probably over a thousand.

What probably troubles me more than dark is the overuse of dissonance (Lack of major chords). A good example of dissonance (IMO) is Bluecoats Asphalt Cocktail....:thumbdown:

Edited by Triple Forte

Dark Show probably has more to do with theme than simply having minor or dissonant music.

I thought Cavies show last year was dark and clearly everyone would agree, but a lot of their musical selections weren't necessarily "dark". I mean "Smile" definitely had a dark undertone to it even though it was happy major chord music.

In a drum corps context, dark has these definitions:

1) Any show where minor chords predominate

2) Any show lacking in major-only harmony

3) Hornlines based on "dead white guy" orchestral music

4) Any chop-n-bop show that isn't bee-bop (usually defs 1 and 2 are already met here)

• Like 1

In a drum corps context, dark has these definitions:

1) Any show where minor chords predominate

2) Any show lacking in major-only harmony

3) Hornlines based on "dead white guy" orchestral music

4) Any chop-n-bop show that isn't bee-bop (usually defs 1 and 2 are already met here)

What he said.

...also any music played that would fit as accompanying background music while you read a Stephen King Novel.

• Like 1

Mr. Cesario once called it, "taking a bath in chocolate." I thought his use of imagery was weird and European.

No Tom......I believe Cesario was referring to the wonderfully warm dark sound of the Phantom Regiment hornline (1995)....

In a drum corps show, dark is when the stadium lights go out unexpectedly.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I see what you did there.

You made light of the topic. (.. well played )