Dot marching vs. being in the form

I like the waffle system.

1. Someone makes waffles and puts them on paper plates all warm with butter and syrup.

2. I put them out on the practice field.

3. I go from plate to plate with my fork.

4. I drink some milk and then take a nap.

5. When's lunch?

I will second this. I often use the Waffle system to produce the most effective hunger satisfying form.

So if Pioneer used the "howdy" system of cleaning drill they would make finals? Once again there is no ONE correct answer for cleaning drill. Just because someone prefers one method does not mean all others are wrong.

Z

If I were given full control of Pioneer competitively including the picking of all staff , show design etc., without interference, I have no doubt that Pioneer would make the top 12 wc within 3 years. One thing for sure, we would be the most interesting and exciting bad a@@ corps that DCI has ever seen.

I would have a brass cap from 80 Spirit , drum cap from the chrome wall, and perhaps a visual cap from Bayone. One thing you can bet nobody would be getting a hot dog when Pio was on the field.

Edited by Howdy

If I were given full control of Pioneer competitively including the picking of all staff , show design etc., without interference, I have no doubt that Pioneer would make the top 12 wc within 3 years. One thing for sure, we would be the most interesting and exciting bad a@@ corps that DCI has ever seen.

Your too much!

I will second this. I often use the Waffle system to produce the most effective hunger satisfying form.

Corps would never get hungry using this from... I hope the tempo is about 40 BPM though...

Maybe that solves the problem on what to feed 150 kids each summer...

Edited by my58vw

Now, I'm not sure if BK does dot marching or form marching. That would require asking someone from them. I remember seeing them rehearse in 2009, and I could have sworn they were doing form dressing

Speaking of ESPN broadcasts, go check out the '05 one, where they show the Cavaliers learning drill, then they do the cat-walk cam of their drill. You can see exactly how they move, and how they lock the forms. If that isn't proof that the dot method works, I don't know what is.

I have asked someone from BK, and my opinion on the topic was confirmed. This was back before Marc Sylvester coming on board, I haven't watched as much BK since to note if there has been a noticeable difference as far as transition forms go. But enough about that, I don't want to come across as bashing BK or anything.

I should have said that focusing solely on dots can make for very dirty looking drill, because its focusing only on what is written on the paper which is only the "key frames" if you will. Any strong, clean visual program will utilize aspects of dot and form marching, or do one of the two very, very well. On paper (heh) dot marching should result in perfect forms if everyone's tempo and pacing are perfect, but that is very hard to achieve. If Cavaliers use solely dot marching (I don't think they do) they are successful because they are able to near that perfection. Less mature corps are not.

The advantage of form marching is that active corrections are taking place at all times. It may not always be what is exactly on the page, but it will appear clean even if there are mistakes (mistakes which ideally the audience will be unaware of due to the active corrections). This method requires just as much awareness and concentration as the other, and both methods at their peak should yield identical results in theory.

• Like 1

Of course Pioneer has the potential to make finals, but...

I would have a brass cap from 80 Spirit , drum cap from the chrome wall, and perhaps a visual cap from Bayone. One thing you can bet nobody would be getting a hot dog when Pio was on the field.

I think your proposal belongs in the fantasy drum corps forum.

Edited by warsawstory
  • Like 2

you have to have some of both, especially early in the season.

argument ended.

bye Howdy

• Like 1

Placing more emphesis on dot vs form has resulted in poor transitions. Corps who are teaching their students to just go to their dots and to ignore the forms are creating a lot of problems for themselves visually, and analizing their shows gives us proof.

Apparently those corps don't understand the dot-system.

Anyhow the correct answer is both. Sure there appears to be many more sets/subsets in dot-only but if your drill is actually clean, you've taught those same subsets no matter what system you're using.

• Like 1