1980 vs 2010

Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

Really? Wow, I didn't realize there is a quota on positive comments. But thanks for the attempt.

Midnight is only 5 hours away... tongue.gif

I guess I'll just have to be witty and thoughtful without reward. Been doing that most of my life...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

All I know is that one particular corps from 1980 Finals... Phantom Regiment... marched one of the cleanest shows I have ever seen, that night.

There is no question in my mind that today's visual shows are more demanding... but that 1980 PR performance was virtually flawless. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I personally could never have marched the way they move now -- certainly not and played! I mean, have you seen that video ... where Phantom jazz runs playing Ode to Joy? Oh my God!

I have not, though I have seen the one where they run playing Firebird, which apart from the shaking camera is excellent (and I might be shaking too if a wall of sound was running straight at me).

• Like 2

All I know is that one particular corps from 1980 Finals... Phantom Regiment... marched one of the cleanest shows I have ever seen, that night.

There is no question in my mind that today's visual shows are more demanding... but that 1980 PR performance was virtually flawless. :thumbup:

I'd agree with this.

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

Sloppy's the wrong word, but it's not as clean, IMO. Feet, legs, and other body positions were cleaner in 1980.

Was marching better in 1980 than in 2010?

No, IMO. It was different. They were trained to have cleaner feet. Today, they're trained to move better in a different way. Far better dance skills for example. Far better movement at speed.

Neither 1980 marchers or 2010 marchers could achieve what the other cohort achieves in nine short months of training. It takes years.

Edited by Peel Paint

Did top 12 DCI drum and bugle corps march cleaner in 1980 , or in 2010. This is not a discussion about better or more creative, but rather cleaner.

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

apples to oranges.

good try tho

• Like 3

Maybe they're just the same troll? Remember how one disappeared right before the other one re-appeared.....? :devil:

oh no. totally different beasts. trust me, you can tell.

• Like 2

I personally could never have marched the way they move now... Certainly not and played!

I am totally with you on this.

How the members of current-day corps move at the speeds they do, and manage to play as well as they do.... absolutely amazing.