Pioneer

Very insightful. Big name corps like the Blue Devils drive fans to drum corps shows. These fans pay up to $50.00 + a ticket just to attend one show. Not to be disrespectfull to Pioneer, but most drum corps fans who pay those kind of ticket prices do not want to see a drumcorps with 16-20 horns (but a few fans might want to).

I just want to see good drumcorps....be it 20 horns or 80 horns. I saw Pioneer yesterday, and it appeared to me they are coming out of the gate stronger than what they have been over the past 3-4 years. It seems the corps knew they were going to be small and wrote the show accordingly. There have been several years in the past where the corps has written a show for more kids than what they had, and spent the first part of the season rewriting and closing holes. The hornline this year is small, but there is no doubt in my mind that all the brass are contributing and the hornline is putting out a good amount of sound for their size. The big issue right now appears to be guard. Regardless of numbers, the guard just isn't contributing enough. I don't have any magical answers, but I do feel that the 2011 version of Pioneer is a small step up from the 2010 version at this time of year. Just one persons opinion who has actually seen the corps this summer.

Z

Likes good drumcorps, regardless of size.

• Like 1

Guys... I'm not a moderator here, but I would like to ask everyone to remain on topic and refrain from anything that might resemble a personal attack or so forth. I see this thread quickly qoing the way of the previous "Pioneer - What Now?" thread... And I for one would like to see this thread stay open and unlocked!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have to hand it to Pioneer. Their numbers are way down but, somehow, they managed to put together a show that is entertaining and was pretty well received by the crowd in Indianapolis. They did a smart thing by shrinking the field to match their size. The hornline is small but puts out a fair amount of volume for it's size. I also believe they are cleaner right now than they were at the same time last year. Let's hope that the fans take the time to support Pioneer just like they would an upper echelon corps. The kids deserve your attention and respect.

• Like 2

Does Mr. Blenski have a plan to recruit more horn players? Most likely.

Will he succeed? We'll find out by 3rd week of July.

Where will they place the next time they play in Indy? That, might be the question which starts a conversation leading to many major changes for Pioneer's future.

Tim I politely asked the DCP mods to change my DCP handle. They declined. That is why I added Call Me Mikey to my signature. Almost all drum corps people now call me Mikey. Thanks for understanding.

___

from Pioneers website:

"Charlie has a Bachelor of Arts degree in communication/Journalism from California State University. He has been affiliated with the visual staffs of the Velvet Knights, Anaheim Kingsmen and Hawthorne Muchachos. In addition, he was the co-founder of both the West Coast Express and Impulse Drum and Bugle Corps.

"

Re:

Charlie's resume' looks very good. I wonder what years he was with these drumcorps.

I wish him well.

Howdy, Mikey!

I've known Charlie since he got back from flying scout helicopters in Vietnam. He was charter member of VK, and spent several years there as our guru of marching. I've been a student of his, on staff with him, and on the BoD of Impulse with him. I'm proud to say I know him, and even prouder to call him friend.

Just to give you an idea, Charlie was on staff with VK in 1972-73, Anaheim Kingsmen in 1974, Hawthorne Muchachos in 1975, back to VK on and off through the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. He was invited to sit on the board and work with the visual staff when Impulse was formed in the fall of 1998. He has also consulted with Jersey Surf, and is involved with a couple of very successful band programs in Southern California. He is especially good at motivating younger and less experienced students to achieve far beyond their own expectations. And he took the picture I use for my DCP avatar.

In other words, he's done a lot more for drum corps than you have, so you might want to cut him some slack.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 2

Does Mr. Blenski have a plan to recruit more horn players? Most likely.

Will he succeed? We'll find out by 3rd week of July.

Where will they place the next time they play in Indy? That, might be the question which starts a conversation

leading to many major changes for Pioneer's future.

From my limited time around the corps yesterday, I was under the impression that they have 20 brass and that is what they are going to go with for the whole season. I think this is the right decision. Even back in the late 90's Pioneer was accepting folks into the hornline in late spring/early summer just to increase numbers. I'm fine with taking non-brass players in the winter (heck, I was one) but at this point in the season it may be best for them to make a go of it with the 20 brass. The kids in the hornline seem a little older, and are actually putting out sound and playing with confidence. I really think people need to realize that although the hornline is small, it's the guard that is going make it hard for Pioneer to compete with Cascades, Surf, and Mandarins.

Z

Proud member and teacher of some small hornlines.

Why does Pioneer have difficulty fielding a decnt guard? Are the guard programs in the Milwaukee area weak and/or unsupportive? I haven't seen Pioneer yet this year, but I do know their guard was pretty weak last year. Hopefully, this will turn around.

They've had a very successful winter percussion program. Why not have a winter guard program as well?

Garry in Vegas

Fact is, right now they are 14 points behind the next lowest placing corps. Now, some corps have not performed yet, but that's a heck of a gap to make up. We'll see better once Cascades, Mandarins, and Surf come to the party.