South, East, West and Mid, and by holding 5 regional qualifiers that

decide which corps get to compete during DCI championship week, that

this will rejuvinate DCI.

Each corps is assigned to a region (including any international

corps), they compete at one of the 5 regional qualifiers, and if they

make the top 5 in a regional qualifier they are invited to compete at

the DCI quarterfinals.

ALL jr corps, regardless of size, age, ability, etc. will be invited

to compete at one of the 5 DCI regional qualifiers.

Corps from every division will compete against each other at the 5

regional qualifiers, so a little corps with 15 kids in it will have a

real chance to compete against a corps like Phantom etc.

That will excite and motivate kids and parents, and save corps a ton of travel expenses!

The NFL, NBA, etc. all have playoffs. This [regional-division] elimination style brings in more excitement then if all teams were invited to play on superbowl week.

This one proposed change will solve DCI's attrition problem I

guarantee you.

Dr. Michael E. Schmidt

Just no.... Bad idea in every conceivable way.

Edited by SFZFAN

Just no.... Bad idea in every conceivable way.

I had written a similar plan. I don't know all the problems you see with his plan. but I feel like mine covers most issues pretty well. Thing is when drawing crowds, you need the big names. Honestly I know people who wouldn't go to a show if Phantom wasn't there. If they're confined to a region then we have troubles. Blue Devils and SCV can get a pretty decent crowd for west coast. But South is a little more lacking. From what I've seen of Tennessee it's actually a heavy Cavie and PR fan. Don't let them tour here crowds are gonna drop quite a bit.

Looking at the plan I set, I see the biggest names drawing crowds to corps who couldn't have done anything near that by themselves. It is inconceivable to tour everyone but the G8 are generally going to have the most donations and souvenir base. While they're going to draw away some souvie sales, I figure the bigger crowd more than makes up for it.

I had written a similar plan. I don't know all the problems you see with his plan. but I feel like mine covers most issues pretty well. Thing is when drawing crowds, you need the big names. Honestly I know people who wouldn't go to a show if Phantom wasn't there. If they're confined to a region then we have troubles. Blue Devils and SCV can get a pretty decent crowd for west coast. But South is a little more lacking. From what I've seen of Tennessee it's actually a heavy Cavie and PR fan. Don't let them tour here crowds are gonna drop quite a bit.

Looking at the plan I set, I see the biggest names drawing crowds to corps who couldn't have done anything near that by themselves. It is inconceivable to tour everyone but the G8 are generally going to have the most donations and souvenir base. While they're going to draw away some souvie sales, I figure the bigger crowd more than makes up for it.

the problem is qith qualifiers, you dont know how to plan your budget.

and right now, for a corps, knowing you're going to x shows set in stone in May is a lot better than "well, we're in all of these til then, and then...well maybe"

There won't be one solution to the money issue.

There will have to be multiple fronts to continue financing the activity

ie. Corporate Sponsorships. (Tax deductible?)

Trying to stay regional for as long as possible. (Less gas.)

Higher tour fees (Someone had to say it. I know it's unpopular, and I know personally how hard it is for kids to fund it themselves. But when push comes to shove, the organization needs oil for the machine)

Winning the lottery (we can dream, right? :smile: )

the problem is qith qualifiers, you dont know how to plan your budget.

and right now, for a corps, knowing you're going to x shows set in stone in May is a lot better than "well, we're in all of these til then, and then...well maybe"

That's funny being as NFL teams are able to ajust their budgets if they don't make the playoffs without any issues. If anything, regional qualifiers will save corps money who are not yet ready to compete on DCI's highest levels.

So no one wants to touch salaries, my impression is that they are over 10% of the million dollar operating budgets?

Why so high?

How much is a drill designer really worth in DCI and why?

You ever get the feeling you’ve been swindled?

So no one wants to touch salaries, my impression is that they are over 10% of the million dollar operating budgets?

Why so high?

How much is a drill designer really worth in DCI and why?

You ever get the feeling you’ve been swindled?

Not really. For most DCI instructors, what little they get is just seen as beer and hotdog money. You can't live off of it. Perhaps a few designers or staffers get overpaid, but you get what you pay for in this activity most of the time.

realize that things like this are likely not the most economical way for the corps to spend a summer:

Travel over 150 miles inbetween shows is bad for corps. As a rule, DCI should try to keep shows within 150 miles of each other, if at all possible.

Edited by JohnZ
image removed