1972 - 2010

In 1973 many thousands of people said yes, that IS worth paying for, night after night. Tastes change, goals change, techniques change, instruments change. Different does not necessarily mean better or worse.

Is that because they didn't know any better? Different also doesn't necessarily preclude better or worse.

You're right. How dare I!? Think about the kids! I mean, SHOULD I relegate myself to the grammar and punctuation police? I suppose if I did THAT, I would have to have proper syntax, spelling and punctuation before I case the first stone. :rolleyes:

Great stuff there, 'Dude. Maybe your quirky, irreverent take on the repartee of the DCP forums can get you a spot on a late night cable TV comedy show. But your previous post is still an out-of-left-field swipe at last year's winner, still has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. One more time: :thumbdown:

Fred O.

• Like 2

wow. just wow.

hey if we get to 10, it'll keep shrinking til death. just sayin

Yep

I know this is difficult to grasp to some people (not you Jeff!)...but it is 100% likely that every corps in existence today will fold. It will be the Bruckner crowd wondering how this could happen with everyone finally playing in tune and the other crowd telling the Bruckner crowd--told ya so!

Note that "sounded bad" includes the entire musical ensemble. Commodores 1973 and Pioneer 2010 are both represented on the Evil Tube Thing. Feel free to listen to them back to back, as I did just now. Commodores certainly "blasted more" than Pioneer. If that's your bag, have at it. Not one single chord is centered or balanced with Commodores.

I much prefer the sound of the former over the latter. Why is that?

I think the difference may have been expressed more than 50 years ago, in Roy Campbell's short poem, "On Some South African Novelists".

**Edited to remove quote and replace with link to poem elsewhere, because on further reflection, it occurs to me that quoting an entire poem, even one only four lines long, probably constitutes infringement of copyright. The poem condemns writers who focus on style at the expense of content, concluding "where's the bloody horse?", which is not meant to prophesy The Godfather.**

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Yep

I know this is difficult to grasp to some people (not you Jeff!)...but it is 100% likely that every corps in existence today will fold. It will be the Bruckner crowd wondering how this could happen with everyone finally playing in tune and the other crowd telling the Bruckner crowd--told ya so!

I won't wonder one bit. The causes will be very clear; we've covered all of them already. Enjoy the ride while it's still viable, and strive for excellence beyond reproach.

I won't wonder one bit. The causes will be very clear; we've covered all of them already. Enjoy the ride while it's still viable, and strive for excellence beyond reproach.

yes the continued quest for excellence has it's drawbacks doesn it?

• Like 1

It does? I can't think of one. I have yet to see one poster put forth the hypothesis: "Excellence is ruining drum corps."

perceived excellence, maybe...

It does? I can't think of one. I have yet to see one poster put forth the hypothesis: "Excellence is ruining drum corps."

When we get to the point of "If you're not perceived as being the best, you're not worthy to (fill in the blank)" then yes. And DCI is heading to that point with G-7/8 and mentality of some of the post I've seen over the years from some posters. Yes, DCP <> DCI BoD but DCP does = segment of paying fans.

And what is "excellence"? Top corps, top3, top 7/8, top ?????..... And what about the non-excellent corps, should they fade away?