College Bands Louder? What?!?!

Edited by Contra94

I can see it now: director under the press box screaming "OK, guys, now play it with a loud timbre!"

Of course it's not said like that, but the brass guys at Phantom know the sound they want, so that's the sound they teach!

Another "Brass Expert" in our midst?ph34r.gif

Nope, just someone who actually uses their ears, unlike so many others in this activity :rock:

/had bad tone.

Just sayin. PR 02 came up on my ipod today and I quickly changed it. Those first few notes ruin the whole show.

I wouldn't go that far - but I agree. Cavaliers had an outstanding quality of sound that I'll take any day over "loud".

I wouldn't go that far - but I agree. Cavaliers had an outstanding quality of sound that I'll take any day over "loud".

I like to have both..shows who actually has the better horn line.

• Like 1

recordings dont do justice.

For example.

The crown mmx tuning sequence video had a really bad mic (from that distance), so the sound quality distorted (thus sounding louder)

Older recordings have worse technology...thus distortion....==sounding louder..

need an example?...record something on your old flip phone and play it....the sound will be really distorted but will sound as if it's really loud.

recordings dont do justice.

For example.

The crown mmx tuning sequence video had a really bad mic (from that distance), so the sound quality distorted (thus sounding louder)

need an example?...record something on your old flip phone and play it....the sound will be really distorted but will sound as if it's really loud.

Agree. Madison 75 live is nothing compared to the DVD and LP recordings...

The same holds true for normal playing. If someone plays with a distorted sound (the "loud timbre" I mentioned earlier), it will seem louder, even when it's really not.

As much of a Drum Corps guy as I am, my son would never forgive me if I didn't add the JMU Marching Royal Dukes into the conversation.

I love that in this video, the job of the brass players is to rock out hard and the job of the woodwind players is to frolic behind the drumline! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Based on purely empirically observations, 80 piccolos great increase the suicide rate in any given community.

• Like 1