Cadets Uniform

By the power of fabric, I proclaim that this thread shall not be complete until 'tis doubled in size. I pray that it shall come to pass ere the break of June.

I'd agree that it will...the only possible exception is if someone starts a new thread with actual pictures...whenever those come out...

You mean the waiter jackets???? LOL,corps went from plain blue tops with front sash to something Prince must have thought up. And that was in the day of more military type unis and the guard dressed more or like the rest of the corps.

Actually, the 76-93 BD uni top was BASED on a military uniform....US Marine Mess Dress (Officers)...if you've ever seen True Lies, you can see it at the end of the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mess_dress Scroll down...you'll see it (and some earlier variations)

BD's Jerry Seawright was a Marine pilot in WWII....hence the origin of what is one of the classic uniforms of all time.

And Boo....I would submit that the 2 most radical uniform changes would be 75-76 Bridgemen and 81-82 VK.

Edited by 84BDsop

if you've ever seen True Lies, you can see it at the end of the film.

Who hasn't seen True Lies?....at least a few (hundred) times??

Do it again.... slowly.... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Earlier on in this thread, I posted the pic below. A fellow alumnus pointed me to a link that gives the story behind the pic. Here it is:

The Story

2791799410001244023S600x600Q85.jpg

Woah.....he marched drum corps while attending West Point??? THAT is dedication!

Wonder how his military career went...

• Like 1

What is this?, "pile it on" hour? No wonder people so rarely change their minds on here...first you go through the embarassment of admitting you were wrong, and then after the fact, people keep on reminding you about it!

And he may not want me to say it, but it was no under 21 year old MM that talked to him, and there was no 'beating into submission'. He asked me a few questions via PM, and I answered them. Mostly, we've been swapping stories, and finding out that things are WAY more 'the same' then they are different...but a few things have changed, and it gave him a different perspective. Seriously though...its bad enough insulting the people that disagree with you ..... crazy and stupid reason that if drum corps does not go back to the way they remember it when they marched... That they will ##### and moan and make everybody miserable... ...

...but you take it a step further and go after people that are actually on your side! It's no wonder people view the 'progressives' as superior and arrogant sometimes...

Whatever Nick...

He is old enough to be responsible for what he said and how he acted. I cannot give someone a "pass" just because at an advanced age they had an epiphony that helped them see how not to act like a child... Shame on ANYONE who cannot hold their tongue in public about such an issue where in 100 years it will matter to no one! (NOT JUST THE JEDI)

So although I applaud him for seeing the light, and admiting it... I do not forgive transgressions against his beloved corps. That comes with time... People have to regain respect as they earn it after such a display. With no consequences for words or actions we will have an apology fest going on where ALL IS FORGIVEN just because you say you are sorry, as though you were never offensive. It is kind of the same thing as NO ONE LOOSES BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM FEEL BAD... There are winners and losers, level headed and overtly hotheaded and verbouse... It takes all of them to make up the world and it is up to US as individuals to be careful as to what we become and how we are percieved! :cool:

BTW Nick... I have been reading your posts recently and you seem to be a very level headed calm guy who I tend to agree with in many situations! I am not sure how that happened what with the corps we come from! LOL :devil:

Woah.....he marched drum corps while attending West Point??? THAT is dedication!

Would love if someone could explain how he accomplished this (the linked article doesn't). I could see the Cadets excusing him from winter camps. What I can't imagine is how he got around West Point's summer training regime. West Point cadets don't get summers off the way ordinary college students do. Anyone know?

HH

Whatever Nick...

He is old enough to be responsible for what he said and how he acted. I cannot give someone a "pass" just because at an advanced age they had an epiphony that helped them see how not to act like a child... Shame on ANYONE who cannot hold their tongue in public about such an issue where in 100 years it will matter to no one! (NOT JUST THE JEDI)

So although I applaud him for seeing the light, and admiting it... I do not forgive transgressions against his beloved corps. That comes with time... People have to regain respect as they earn it after such a display. With no consequences for words or actions we will have an apology fest going on where ALL IS FORGIVEN just because you say you are sorry, as though you were never offensive. It is kind of the same thing as NO ONE LOOSES BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM FEEL BAD... There are winners and losers, level headed and overtly hotheaded and verbouse... It takes all of them to make up the world and it is up to US as individuals to be careful as to what we become and how we are percieved! :cool:

You know...i watched you almost write this post a few days ago (I could tell that your SN was in italics...indicating that you were typing a response to my post), and then you stopped. What made you change your mind??

As far as what he said, could you point out what was so bad about it in the first place? I mean honestly, I dont remember. I recall generally disagreeing with him, but i dont recall any instances where he insulted the current members, or said they were less deserving of respect. Maybe he complained about hopkins or something, but if we shunned everyone on dcp who did that, even I wouldn't be here.

And are you really worried about an apology-fest on DCP? Really? On this website people change opinions about as often as the cadets wear green. It just seems like a strange concern to have, at least on this website. I understand having concequences for actions, especially in the real world, but as we know, this place is far from it...and personally, there are enough people on this site for me to waste time arguing with without having to go after the ones i've already convinced.... :tongue:

• Like 3

Would love if someone could explain how he accomplished this (the linked article doesn't). I could see the Cadets excusing him from winter camps. What I can't imagine is how he got around West Point's summer training regime. West Point cadets don't get summers off the way ordinary college students do. Anyone know?

HH

About the ONLY way I could see it happening would be if someone in authority had been a drum corps vet and realized that doing a "summer marching band" was just as good for physical conditioning as anything else he'd do. And if that were the case, that person would understand the teamwork and leadership that would be instilled...a good thing in a future officer.