Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

Yes.

Trombone players don't have to do anything, but if they want to march drum corps they have to switch. It's just more practical. Believe it or not, fingers aren't the hardest part of a brass instrument or the most crucial. I know a lot of trombone players that can also play euphonium and they are better players for it. I do prefer a good trombone section to a baritone one, though...... :smile:

• Like 2

I am a bass trombonist marching Contra >.> Wasn't that hard for me to do the switch from bass trombone to tuba (in concert) I just wrote in the fingerings for some of the music and did the rest off the top of my head.

Watch video from a recent Cavaliers, Cadets, Crown, Blue Devils, etc. show. Find the baritone section and follow them around.Now imagine trying to march that with the much longer trombone instead of the baritone.You'll quickly realize the problems caused by integrating t-bones into drum corps visual programs.As to the OP, yes: trombones players SHOULD have to learn to play another instrument in corps. Seeing as trombones are prohibited by rules, there's no other choice.Out of curiosity, has anyone brought up the suggestion of legalizing trombones in drum corps at a rules conference anytime recently? Or is someone just kinda thinking off the top of their head here?

I'm the thread OP.

This thread was the result of Charlie1223's comment in the 2011 World Class Repertoires. He felt that I jumped all over him and got defensive when he hoped that the Bluecoats would have a trombone soloist this year. They're apparently playing Mackay's Harvest: Concerto for Trombone.

As far as I know, trombones are still illegal instruments, but I wondered if people were now wanting them in drum corps like Charlie1223.

I feel that trombonists should have to learn to play on euphs and baritones. It only makes the trombonist a stronger player. Given that many professional trombone players working in Symphony Orchestras sometimes have to play euph for a few orchestral pieces that are written for the instrument, it's a good learning experience.

• Like 1

I'm the thread OP.

This thread was the result of Charlie1223's comment in the 2011 World Class Repertoires. He felt that I jumped all over him and got defensive when he hoped that the Bluecoats would have a trombone soloist this year. They're apparently playing Mackay's Harvest: Concerto for Trombone.

As far as I know, trombones are still illegal instruments, but I wondered if people were now wanting them in drum corps like Charlie1223.

I feel that trombonists should have to learn to play on euphs and baritones. It only makes the trombonist a stronger player. Given that many professional trombone players working in Symphony Orchestras sometimes have to play euph for a few orchestral pieces that are written for the instrument, it's a good learning experience.

I responded to a post that said the Bluecoats were playing Harvest: Concerto for Trombone (you should really check it out is awesome!) with this:

I hope they use a trombone soloist!!!!!!!!

Expressing not only my excitement of the bluecoats choosing another Mackay piece but just how cool it would be (imo) to play that trombone solo (from that piece) on an actual trombone on the DCI stage. Keep in mind it was a very specific comment to a specific piece of music where I think the trombone would be highly effective in DCI. It was not a comment to push buttons, or even hint of the idea that trombones should or shouldn't be in DCI in general. Also, as a caveat I said that no matter what the bluecoats did it was going to awesome. And as people have said trombones are illegal so what was the harm? You can all refer to the actual thread for the conversation me and jjeffeory had.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Let me preface this with saying I have no interest at all in seeing a trombone ever take the field at DCI, but this topic raised some questions for me...

Back in the day, the 2 valve contras had a super long, easily accessible tuning slide, that with a little bit of effort allowed us to play some of those notes that needed a 3rd valve...and waaaay long ago there were the original slip-slide bugles. At what point does a brass instrument cross the line and violate the "no trombone" rule? What is the actual rule and wording that prohibits a trombone? I seem to remember the rule allowing 3 valve horns also eliminated the wording specifying valve configuration entirely.

I responded to a post that said the Bluecoats were playing Harvest: Concerto for Trombone (you should really check it out is awesome!) with this:

For those who may not have been around, in 2002, Bluecoats' show was titled "Urban Dances," (not to be confused with the orchestral selection of the same name performed by Carolina Crown in the 2006 show, "In.trance.it." In the Bluecoats show was a selection by Chris Brubeck; "Paradise Utopia" from "Concerto for Bass Trombone."

Okay, I guess that really doesn't mean anything other than I'm bored at the moment and counting down the days until June.

• Like 1

I personally think it's something trombone players would have to just come past. I know woodwind players who managed to learn a brass instrument to march corps, it couldn't be THAT dramatic of a change.

I am also just a fan of 4 part harmony. 5 part harmony would just never compare to the way 4 part harmony works out. Most corps these days have an 80 member hornline as a standard, and it would be difficult to evenly split parts within that 80 among 5 instruments in the hornline.

5 voice counterpoint would have to include...

Soprano voices - Trumpets

Alto voices - Mellos

Tenor voices - Tromboniums??????

Bari voices???? (meaning baritones would have to play everything lower...????)

Bass Voices - Contras

Edited by TimbreDeBrass