Hop's Alumni Tour 2011

I get your drift. Allow me to offer an alternate hypothesis, one that you might actually agree with (even though it might upset the digestion on much of DCP). Here it is:

Possibly, just possibly, not every Cadet alum is an idiot. Indeed, probably, very probably, most of them are not. Most Cadet alums while sharing a profound affection for the uniform they wore understand the challenge to balance tradition and innovation. Most surely appreciate the corps for what it is rather than what it's not. They understand a corps like the Cadets at times will push boundaries, including theirs. They accept that not everything that transpires can meet the individual expectations of a group so large, diverse and interested.

Though these alums might be included in the DCP insurgency, they most definitely are not defined by it, which is good. Many have revealed the embarrassment they felt from the loudmouth malcontents who shamed the corps and their fellow alums by their impertinently public comments on Facebook.

As such, many alums in all these place will be glad that Hopkins is reaching out as he is. Many won’t find nefarious motives in the timing. Many will be glad this corps cares enough to facilitate what they could, and perhaps should, have done already. Many will admire that, whatever the context, this leader has the courage of his convictions to meet them eye to eye.

That’s what I think.

HH

I'd agree that it is entirely possible that GH making his first TOA up and down the East Coast and his decision to scrap The Cadets cadet style uniform for this year are totally unrelated events. It's all speculation for the motive here, and yours ( or mine ) reason for this TOA by GH are certainly plausable. We also both agree ( at least I hope so ) that The Cadets alums, current marchers... and GH himself...are not " idiots ". I also don't ascribe most DCPer's disappontment with this decision... and with that of many of The Cadets alums... with that of any " insurgency ". I would catergorize the comments here more in the vein of heartfelt expression of love for this classic and iconic uniform and sadness and disappointment in this decision. " Insurrection " ? That may occur down the road on this, who knows. But I just don't see it right now, and that characterization seems way overblown and perhaps way to premature to me right now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'd agree that it is entirely possible that GH making his first TOA up and down the East Coast and his decision to scrap The Cadets cadet style uniform for this year are totally unrelated events. It's all speculation for the motive here, and yours ( or mine ) reason for this TOA by GH are certainly plausable. We also both agree ( at least I hope so ) that The Cadets alums, current marchers... and GH himself...are not " idiots ". I also don't ascribe DCP's disappontment with this decision... and with that of many of The Cadets alums... with that of any " insurgency ".

Oh, I wouldn't even go so far as to say the two things are unrelated...i'm just responding to anyone who thinks that this tour is the staff 'covering their #####' because they were somehow stunned by the reaction and now have to scramble to deal with it...

Also, I keep hearing reference to a 'non cadet style' uniform. I'm going to laugh when it winds up being nearly the exact same uni as any other year (no insider knowledge, but I wouldnt rule it out...)

Well, if it's true as you say ( and we'd have no reason to believe otherwise )that GH's TOA ( Tour of Alums )was to take place AFTER the decision to scrap the Cadets uniform of 75 years for reportedly just this year,

"Scrap the uniform" that's negative considering no one knows what its going to look like. It's a change, and that's it. No need to exaggerate it anything more passed that.

I think it's reasonable to assume that GH made possibly a huge mistake here in timimg. Clearly, I think we'd all agree that if GH was going to change the Cadets uniform for this season, that he might have been better served communicating this decision to the Alums at the TOA that is apout to occur.

You realize that this information leaked from an Alumni meeting in Norther NJ right? Those alumni had a right to know what was going on, they were probably asked not to communicate the information to the outside, but you know how things go...

Free labor not in the sense of volunteers for The Cadets tour and sponsored contests , but for the cash cow of yeaH - the USSBA.

IF George has every chained you to his desk and whipped you in order to work at a USSBA events then that's a different story. That's one way to get "free labor" but honestly what you are referring to (so negatively I might add) is merely "volunteering"... clearly your mind is in the wrong place with the spin you're putting on everything. And if you do not like to volunteer the best thing to do is just to not volunteer.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I get your drift. Allow me to offer an alternate hypothesis, one that you might actually agree with (even though it might upset the digestion on much of DCP). Here it is:

Possibly, just possibly, not every Cadet alum is an idiot. Indeed, probably, very probably, most of them are not. Most Cadet alums while sharing a profound affection for the uniform they wore understand the challenge to balance tradition and innovation. Most surely appreciate the corps for what it is rather than what it's not. They understand a corps like the Cadets at times will push boundaries, including theirs. They accept that not everything that transpires can meet the individual expectations of a group so large, diverse and interested.

Though these alums might be included in the DCP insurgency, they most definitely are not defined by it, which is good. Many have revealed the embarrassment they felt from the loudmouth malcontents who shamed the corps and their fellow alums by their impertinently public comments on Facebook.

As such, many alums in all these place will be glad that Hopkins is reaching out as he is. Many won’t find nefarious motives in the timing. Many will be glad this corps cares enough to facilitate what they could, and perhaps should, have done already. Many will admire that, whatever the context, this leader has the courage of his convictions to meet them eye to eye.

That’s what I think.

HH

Well said!

Communication on any level is a good thing.

• Like 2

I find this all extremely odd.

I mean, how much free time must this man have in his schedule to travel the Eastern seaboard of the United States just to set up alumni organizations that he won't listen to or give two poops about.

Boggles the mind.

/sarcasm.

• Like 1

I find this all extremely odd.

I mean, how much free time must this man have in his schedule to travel the Eastern seaboard of the United States just to set up alumni organizations that he won't listen to or give two poops about.

Boggles the mind.

/sarcasm.

OK - Coffee on the keyboard! "give two poops about" - I'm going to use that. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I am either not connected with Cadets on Facebook or whenever I've checked out my page, perhaps it was a few pages down since I have to make it past news about what my friends are having on their pizzas. I figured if I didn't know about it, perhaps some Cadets alums or alums from other corps (that could utilize such an idea to bring people closer together) might not have seen this as well. Also, not everyone is on Facebook, as difficult as that might be for some to imagine.

Only last week, I bought my first video game for my new 8-bit Commodore 64.

What's that? Some kind of new Pong machine? Boy, I need to catch up.

I didn't know about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Boo.

I think what Hop is doing is a great idea. After all, drum corps is basically a co-ed college fraternity. They have regional alumni chapters, why shouldn't we? It will be a great way for alumni to get together (relatively) easily, and I'm sure the corps proper will notice a financial impact, as well!

You're most welcome.