JR Corps marching G Bugles?

G Bugles Pioneer was the last WC corps on G

Open Class

Les Stentors

Racine Scouts

Spirit Of Newark

Poss Spartans as well

Edited by ripper

I like the idea of marching Renegades, but there is the minor detail of me living on Cape Cod and flying to San Francisco for camps

The Renegades like the idea of you marching as well! We actually do have a few interstate commuters although it isn't cheap for them. We have a few from Texas and one from Tennessee!

Also the Renegades are doing our part to promote the G Bugle! We play them, teach on them and each and every year we have members from (Local) World Class corps come in for our 2nd season who seem to have ZERO problem adapting to our old fogie horns! :thumbup:

I believe Phantom and Madison were the last hold outs of the top echelon corps. Phantom had a G hornline for the last time in 2002. A great sounding hornline that year, too! Madison's last year on G was 2003.

FWIW, Southwind's last year on G was 2004.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 1

G Bugles Pioneer was the last WC corps on G

Open Class

Les Stentors

Racine Scouts

Spirit Of Newark

Poss Spartans as well

Sad to report that Racine Scouts will be renting Bb flats. A very dumb waste of money if you ask me.

and Spartans made the switch in 08

Edited by MelloHorn13
  • Like 1

I am sure that 90%+ of the people on DCP Forums have marched in a JR corps during the time of G Bugles. What are your thoughts on the change from G to Bb/F? Would you like to see a corps march G Bugles again?

Having spent many years recording both types of hornlines, I can say without hesitation that I prefer the sound of G bugles for field shows.

• Like 2

1. No. G bugles sound awful.

2.Corps today are louder, better balanced, and have better tone quality then ever before...why would we want to go back?

1. G bugles sound awesome when they are played correctly, just like anything else

2. false, false, and false.

corps today aren't as loud, period.

any better balancing isn't due to horn key...it's just due to better balancing. the two aren't synonymous.

if you don't like the overtones of G bugles, then I suppose you will think tone quality is better, but once again, tone quality is a product of playing, not what you are playing on.

Edited by skewerz
  • Like 2

Having spent many years recording both types of hornlines, I can say without hesitation that I prefer the sound of G bugles for field shows.

I agree. I have cassette tapes from a hand held recorder of 2 1977 performances, approx. 50 G bugles, 20 DEG III sops, all other sections in R-P G, no contras, sounded good. I gave one of my CDs to a instrument repair shop. He's originally from Wisconsin and built horns for DEG, very cool. btw i Tunes is messing with me. Oh well, I have my cassette tapes/CDs and memories/CDs of 2010 :)

edit: yikes changed a letter from r to f lol

Edited by lindap