So far, I'm not really liking 2011

well...there's part of the problem. Almost April and 12 corps have no announced anything. Tickets are going on sale now....and people don't want to spend the $$ then be unhappy. You used to be able to read DCW in january, see what a corps was playing and be waiting by the mailbox for the flyer to come in the mail. I can see why people may not be enthused at this late date.

yes I know licensing plays a part now and may slow things up. but in the last 5/6 years, it's gotten ridiculous how long corps wait to announce the show.

That is simply not true, at least from my memory of reading DCW going back to the early/mid-90's. I remember maybe an occasional, vague/broad announcement (like we have now) from a corps or two in the winter; but the corps show 'list' was always published around April or maybe May. I remember being in HS and then college, receiving the issue in the mail when I was studying for final exams/juries, and getting excited knowing that by the time I was reading that list I knew corps were about to move-in.

I know that it's really easy to "remember" past with rose-colored glasses (tour goggles), so I don't blame you for immediately referring back to the good ol' days. But either you are referring to the 80's or one of us is seriously mis-remembering the past

well...there's part of the problem. Almost April and 12 corps have no announced anything. Tickets are going on sale now....and people don't want to spend the $$ then be unhappy. You used to be able to read DCW in january, see what a corps was playing and be waiting by the mailbox for the flyer to come in the mail. I can see why people may not be enthused at this late date.

yes I know licensing plays a part now and may slow things up. but in the last 5/6 years, it's gotten ridiculous how long corps wait to announce the show.

Agreed, corps should have to announce reps by march 1 st. tickets go on sale , you dont buy concert tickets unless you know what you are going to see.

AND YES all corps know their 2011 reps by march1st. believe me. and have ample time to secure the rights .

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if it's "dark and evil" or even "bright and happy." Good music is good music, period.

yeah but I don't want to listen to heavy metal for the rest of my life....I don't care how good it is...period

MODERATION !!!

We need it big time in the world of DCI music...even some of the corps staffs acknowledge this....

While we're at it, I'm not a fan of 2015 either. Pretty unimpressive season all around :tongue:

I agree. I think existing drum corps fans probably have an idea of what to expect from a show; i.e. I don't think too many people make their ticket-purchasing decisions based purely on the repertoire that year. I imagine more practical concerns like scheduling, $$$, etc are what come into play.

However, as a strategy to draw in new fans, it would work a lot better if you could tell people "hey, come to this show and you'll get to hear corps play x, y, and z", rather than "hey, come to this show and you'll get to hear corps play.... something!".

So you're saying that

a) people plan on going to shows (non-Championship week) 4-5 months in advance. MAYBE this is the case with the big regionals, but this is certainly not the norm for the local shows

b) the average drum corps show-attending fans go to a show based on music corps play and not the 'reputation,' history, or design trends of a corps. I would stipulate that the average drum corps show-attending fans (of which the majority do NOT frequent DCP) goes to a show to either see a friend/family member who is marching with a corps. Or people going to shows based on the past success of a corps (for example, if a show has several Finalist corps, or better yet several Top 5 corps.

In the 90's when I was going to a dozen or so shows a year, I went to see the corps I liked, not because they were necessarily playing music I was interested in (and to be honest, if a corps was playing literature I didn't know I was excited to know I was going to be introduced to something new). Even now, I don't go to a show because a corps is playing specific literature I'm interested in hearing: I go to see specific corps who have proven historically they design high level productions. Or, I go to support students who are marching and colleagues who are teaching.

Wow, the entitled consumer. WTF ever happened to going to a show with no idea what you were in for. You're not buying a car for Christ sake.

EXACTLY!

It's easy to look at society and think that the current generation of "kids" has this overwhelming sense of entitlement: they feel they deserve everything to be handed to them.

But really, with technology and 24 hour information cycle as prevalent in culture, it's EVERYONE who seems to feel entitled to everything right now. It's hard to blame the youngin's when their elders lead the way with childish entitlement

In this analogy, drum corps is more like a mall or entertainment district with a bunch of restaurants. Some serve up different things than others. Each menu item would be a different part of their show.

Which would make Gibbs and Hoppy mall cops who have sworn to uphold and protect the mall. And members are, like, stockboys who...

Never mind: my mind is spinning from these analogies :tongue:

(but I agree that there is so much variety in drum corps that using the "simple" analogy of drum corps = a mexican restaurant is too myopic)

• Like 1

bitd (way back when) announcements were made in June after May long weekend camps and shows you'd see early July were 'revised' by August; so when you go to the next show, surprise!

HA; not even that far back.

In 92 I made the trek up 'north' in June to see SCV make the rare 1st tour trip to the mid-west, to perform their historical celebration show that was a pseudo-tribute to their history in honor of GR retiring. It was a great throw-back that I wish I would've had the capability to record. But I knew I would see them later on at the Preview of Champions and later Finals (among other shows). I came back telling all my friends about all of the awesome throw-backs they had in their show.

Imagine my surprise when I saw them again, and their show was instead Fiddler on the Roof exclusively. It really felt like a same-but-different show. I didn't mind too much, but I was a little shocked that they so radically changed their show mid-summer.

Also, before that, I believe Cadets announced their show as one thing in the winter, and then radically retooled their show in the spring to make it a Bernstein Celebration type show.

And of course, what you describe easily fits Madison Scouts 76.

I guess what I'm saying is, while information flows A LOT quicker and easier now for corps than it used to, things still haven't changed radically when it comes to show announcements (regardless of the rose-colored glasses some older fans refuse to take off when viewing/remembering history).

Other than one or two shows that have made me raise an eyebrow, I have yet to really see a show that has me wanting to drop $120 for tickets to take my family to see a drum corps show this season. You would figure that since the economy is in the crapper, and because people will be spending less money going to shows, that the designers/corps could figure out a way to market themselves a little better. Wait a minute, this is drum corps, everything has to be dark and evil.

Never mind, carry on.

I don't know about you, but I don't go to drum corps shows for "fun and happy". I don't go to drum corps shows for "dark and evil", either. I go to drum corps shows to see drum corps. I like most of the shows I see. Some, not so much. Others I absolutely love.

I don't let the off-season "marketing" dictate whether I'm going to a show, because I know I'm going to find a bunch of things that I will love, find impressive, awe-inspiring, happy, angry, etc.

[sarcasm]I AM however, not going to see The Hobbit when it comes out because I really disagree with the choice of actor for Bilbo. He's too... comedic.[/sarcasm}

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I don't go to drum corps shows for "fun and happy". I don't go to drum corps shows for "dark and evil", either. I go to drum corps shows to see drum corps. I like most of the shows I see. Some, not so much. Others I absolutely love.

I don't let the off-season "marketing" dictate whether I'm going to a show, because I know I'm going to find a bunch of things that I will love, find impressive, awe-inspiring, happy, angry, etc.

[sarcasm]I AM however, not going to see The Hobbit when it comes out because I really disagree with the choice of actor for Bilbo. He's too... comedic.[/sarcasm}

Yeah... but youre not the person DCI needs to be targeting.

I'm with you: I also will not be going to see the new Superman: Man of Steel movie when it comes out in 2012 since I haven't really seen anything yet that makes me excited :tongue: