Carolina Crown 2010 "A Second Chance"

Can somebody please explain the storyline in 2011 Carolina Crown's show, "A Second Chance?" I understand they played 2nd symphonies and some of the visual moves seemed to imply faltering and trying again. I'm asking about the large guard guy smacking the guard girl in the face with a rifle, she dances with another guard guy, she goes back to the first guard guy and he tries to smack her in the face with a rifle again, there's a whole bunch of rewinding sound effects, she goes back to the second guard guy, then runs off the field with another different guard guy altogether. Can someone please explain? Am I missing something?

• Like 1

It was about rewriting endings that didn't work. :w00t:

• Like 8

Can somebody please explain the storyline in 2011 Carolina Crown's show, "A Second Chance?" I understand they played 2nd symphonies and some of the visual moves seemed to imply faltering and trying again. I'm asking about the large guard guy smacking the guard girl in the face with a rifle, she dances with another guard guy, she goes back to the first guard guy and he tries to smack her in the face with a rifle again, there's a whole bunch of rewinding sound effects, she goes back to the second guard guy, then runs off the field with another different guard guy altogether. Can someone please explain? Am I missing something?

Yeah, I'm with you! I tried and tried to make sense of the whole thing.... and finally gave up. But, I really loved the music. So, 2010 Crown is just about the music for me! :smile:

Hey there. I took a crack at this during the season, and I guess I can type it up again if you'd like.

To understand this program, we must first look into the ending of last year's. At the end of "The Grass is Always Greener", we see the Peter Pan character running into the tunnel, away from Neverland, and leaving Tinkerbell alone, which we can see in the change of colors from green to brown, as her sorrow grows over time.

What I got out of their program was that the entire story is based on the concept of second chances at finding love. If you watch the videos, during the pre-show, you can see the main female guard lead dancing with both male leads, and when the first male lead smacks here, I believe that is supposed to represent the lover's quarrel of him finding out about her and the other lead. The Katchicurian(sp?) I believe is meant to represent the lover's quarrels, with eventually we can only assume to be the end of their relationship. The music then transitions into Marquez's Danzon No.2, where the girl tries to find another partner, as evidenced by her dancing with many different people, even the drum major at one point. The next piece is Elgar's Nimrod, where we see the female lead finding a possible new partner, and the blossoming of their new love is signified by the slow, romantic music. After this, it goes back into Mahler's Symphony No.2, and the original ending right before the rewind is our female lead mistakenly returning to her original paramour, and is almost beaten for it. After the rewind, she runs back in the other direction, and arrives at the other lead. Now, this is where the music from last year's show is brought back in, as she is rewarded for making the right decision in love, so she thinks, until Peter Pan returns to re-claim his lost love, and the pair run off together into bliss.

Does that help at all? I know it's a bit academic, but it took a bunch of viewings before it started to sink in for me too.

• Like 4

Hey there. I took a crack at this during the season, and I guess I can type it up again if you'd like.

To understand this program, we must first look into the ending of last year's. At the end of "The Grass is Always Greener", we see the Peter Pan character running into the tunnel, away from Neverland, and leaving Tinkerbell alone, which we can see in the change of colors from green to brown, as her sorrow grows over time.

What I got out of their program was that the entire story is based on the concept of second chances at finding love. If you watch the videos, during the pre-show, you can see the main female guard lead dancing with both male leads, and when the first male lead smacks here, I believe that is supposed to represent the lover's quarrel of him finding out about her and the other lead. The Katchicurian(sp?) I believe is meant to represent the lover's quarrels, with eventually we can only assume to be the end of their relationship. The music then transitions into Marquez's Danzon No.2, where the girl tries to find another partner, as evidenced by her dancing with many different people, even the drum major at one point. The next piece is Elgar's Nimrod, where we see the female lead finding a possible new partner, and the blossoming of their new love is signified by the slow, romantic music. After this, it goes back into Mahler's Symphony No.2, and the original ending right before the rewind is our female lead mistakenly returning to her original paramour, and is almost beaten for it. After the rewind, she runs back in the other direction, and arrives at the other lead. Now, this is where the music from last year's show is brought back in, as she is rewarded for making the right decision in love, so she thinks, until Peter Pan returns to re-claim his lost love, and the pair run off together into bliss.

Does that help at all? I know it's a bit academic, but it took a bunch of viewings before it started to sink in for me too.

Jebus. A written version of what that gentleman tried to tell what the Bluecoats '09 show was all about in the "Designer's Commentary" FN show from San Antonio. As I recall, he began with as statement something along the line of, "The concept is pretty simple..." from there... well, you just have to go back and listen. "My brain hurt's" ($1 to D.P. Gumby)

Go to a show and enjoy. That's what I try and do a couple times a year.

For what it's worth, I'm a Trooper mark. So, in '08 for instance it was a Train Show. In '09, Cowboys and Indians. I'm still working on last year's show. It is what it is.

Have fun and enjoy!

We thought we should have won in 2009.

• Like 4

It's about modern interpretive dance meets artsy-fartsy meets bad fashion design. :ph34r:

• Like 3