Questions regarding "The G8"

I get what you're saying about Boston VS. Blue Stars, but considering it that way would make it impossible to base the TOC format based on the previous years top 8, would eliminate the notion that a corps can challenge for that 7th or 8th place spot directly and be a TOC corps the following year, and quite frankly if you're making that argument about who is deserving the title of TOC who says you stop at 2000? What about Blue Stars repeated top 5 appearances in the 70's? It just makes more logistical sense to base it off of the previous years top 8.

• Like 1

I have removed Most of this post due to some miss information. (Thank you Brasso for your help correcting me.)

BUT

So just saying. Be carefull where all this "Super 7" or "Great 8" stuff goes.

Just remember.

They have a meeting Every Year, and Changes are made. Things could be "even worse".

(guess you can tell I am Not a TOC fan)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I know one thing that happened "way back when ships were wood and used sails", you may want to be careful of.

The American Legion Nationals had it. "Last Years Champions" would be in Finals, to "Defend Their Title".

No they wern't. To my knowledge, no former Champion was allowed in to " defend their title " in any American Legion National Championship ever. Some never even went back to defend their title the following year as the convention was held too far away, or was in October and some Champions did not go back for a couple of years to " defend their title ".

Are you thinking of a few examples where a fully qualified Corps from the Prelims ( TOP 12) PERFORMED LAST in competition on Finals night because they were the Defending Champion ? If so, this might explain what you're talking about here. But for the record, no Corps to my knowledge ever got an automatic pass in prelims to then go on to compete on Finals Night. And no prelims Corps was left out of a Finals because a Corps that was Defending Champion automatically jumped them by virtue of their previous years placement, and this disallowed the participation in the Finals by the fully qualified Prelims Corps. It's never happened in either the VFW or the American Legion National Championships that I'm aware of anyway.

But I'm certainly open to be shown a date and time when such a thing has occured as you claim. I'm persuadable. But I'm just not familiar with this at all.

Edited by BRASSO

it is what it is. Either someone beats one or more than one at finals and joins, or all 8 stay there next year.

it is what it is. Either someone beats one or more than one at finals and joins, or all 8 stay there next year.

My understanding is that DCI has approved the TOC concept for one year only. DCI voting members will then evaluate how it went for either continuation or discontinuation beyond this year with another vote by the full DCI membership after the season. Maybe somebody heard otherwise and can chime in if my understanding on this is incorrect.

Edited by BRASSO

We are still rambling on about this?...

we needed a break from picking flea #### out of the pepper :doh:

• Like 1

I guess the question is why did this happen?

Here's a look at average CHAMPIONSHIP scores starting in 2000:

1) Blue Devils 97.725

2) The Cavaliers 97.59

3) The Cadets 96.45

4) Phantom Regiment 94.0

5) Santa Clara Vanguard 93.93

6) Bluecoats 92.175

7) Carolina Crown 90.625

8) Boston Crusaders 89.69

9) Blue Knights 87.7

10)Blue Stars 87.65 (since 2006)

The only exclusion based on the history over the last 11 seasons is that Boston should

have been included...not the Blue Stars. So historically, your current TOP 8 arent that

far off over many seasons.

2b or not 2b is correct. There was a period of time where the previous year's champion was allowed to bypass prelims and was seeded directly into finals.

No they wern't. To my knowledge, no former Champion was allowed in to " defend their title " in any American Legion National Championship ever.

They were back in the 1930s.

Once the prelim/final format settled into place in 1928-1929, a policy was put into place such that the defending champion was not required to compete in the preliminary round. A look at the scores shows quite a few corps showed up to defend their titles in the American Legion finals without competing in the prelim round (Frankford in '30, Harvey Seeds in '31, Aykroyd/Marlborough in '34 and '35, San Gabriel in '36, and Commonwealth Edison in '37). In that same period, two champs did not defend their titles (Harvey Seeds in '32 and San Gabriel in '38), and we don't have the prelim scores to verify what Salem did in '33.

Not sure exactly when the policy went away. Marlborough won the 1938 crown, but competed in the '39 prelims anyway. Yet Doremus, the 1939 champ, had a bye into the '40 finals. Commonwealth Edison, winner of the 1940 finals, competed in the '41 prelim round, as did all subsequent defending champs to my knowledge.