Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

It was always THE PARADES where Drum and Bugle Corps used to shine over the bands. Drum and Bugle Corps were precision marching, in straight lines, with proper distance between files, with uniformity of movement, every marcher in step, elbow to elbow when playing, correct posture, left arm at belt buckle when marching, or with instrument positioned at the chin, and so forth. When the Drum and Bugle Corps stepped off, it did so precisely. When the parade slowed, and the Corps went to " PARADE" rest, The Corps snapped to the position, and when the command came to attention, the corps likewise snapped to attention.

People along the parade route noticed INSTANTLY that this musical unit was " different " than the high school bands, and all the other bands in the parade. Even the color guard and the street beat that the parade spectators first saw and then heard of the Drum and Bugle Corps told them that this musical unit in the parade was.... " different " than the bands.

This is the problem, now though, there is not much difference, if any, between a top notch marching band and a drum corps. I remember watching the Inauguration Parade and the unit that impressed me most was, I believe, a middle school marching band, not the Colts nor the Cadets. DCI corps have lost their focus when it comes to precision excellence. And then, of course, you have the rampant attitude of the members that parades suck so their performance sucks as well.

This is the problem, now though, there is not much difference, if any, between a top notch marching band and a drum corps. I remember watching the Inauguration Parade and the unit that impressed me most was, I believe, a middle school marching band, not the Colts nor the Cadets. DCI corps have lost their focus when it comes to precision excellence. And then, of course, you have the rampant attitude of the members that parades suck so their performance sucks as well.

Sadly, I can't say that I'd disagree with your assessment here of the " changes " in this respect.

PLAY SOMETHING

LOL....never heard THAT before on a parade route!

I say just cowboy up and do the #### parade.

It's about routine. Show days have a specific progression that happens that ends up with you on the field performing, and it's the same every time (for the most part). Changing that routine the day of the most important show of the year is a bad idea.

Never marched in a DCI corps but I have heard from many that a Finals...is really not routine. There are many ceremonial things going on during finals day.

Let's just say for a moment that a finals day practice was the same as any other show day. Hmmm....I could either practice for the millionth time....or go out and perform for potentially thousands and thousands of people. In my world...that's an easy decision.

Why waste time learning to do something that you will do a handful of times and never be judged for? Corps clean straight lines and intervals in context of their drill. If a parade block were written into the show, you better believe it'd be clean. Heck, there was a good example of that this last summer!

C

It's about routine. Show days have a specific progression that happens that ends up with you on the field performing, and it's the same every time (for the most part). Changing that routine the day of the most important show of the year is a bad idea.

How is it that these corps can adapt their "routine" to march in as many as 6 or 7 parades over two days around July 4, and still perform their show (which at that point in the season, is probably in need of a lot more work than what is on the field in mid Auguast)? I would hope that anyone marching a top 12 corps would have their part down cold by finals day. Drum corps prepares young people by teaching them valuable, life long lessons...one of which is that, life throws you curveballs once in a while. How you deal with those is something that can stay with them for a lifetime. Those that can deal with the disruption to their "routine", play the parade and put their finest show of the year on the field a few hours later, truly deserve to be called Champions.

FWIW, both DCI AND DCA used to have parades during the days leading up to the World Championships. The last DCI parade I recall was during the late 90's when Finals were in Orlando, and Disney was the main sponsor (and picking up the tab for the cost of using the Citus Bowl). The Finalists from the previous year paraded through Epcot. The only drawback to that was that you had to have paid the tab to park and admittance to Epcot in order to enjoy the parade. In Indy, especially downtown, you need to go out of your way to NOT be treated to "free drum corps" in the days leading up to Finals...the park is filled with corps warming up, there has been a prime time weekday performance at the Arts Garden and there are plenty of well publicized opportunities to learn about and interact with DCI, the participating corps or drum corps in general.

The parade is a good idea as good PR...but it should definitely be earlier in the week, might be a good way to kickoff the Wednesday night party. No corps should be exempt, either. There are enough other things happening on Saturday of Finals week, from the FDCI reception, individual corps get togethers, behind the scenes stadium tours, etc. without throwing a parade into that day as well.

How is it that these corps can adapt their "routine" to march in as many as 6 or 7 parades over two days around July 4, and still perform their show (which at that point in the season, is probably in need of a lot more work than what is on the field in mid Auguast)? I would hope that anyone marching a top 12 corps would have their part down cold by finals day. Drum corps prepares young people by teaching them valuable, life long lessons...one of which is that, life throws you curveballs once in a while. How you deal with those is something that can stay with them for a lifetime. Those that can deal with the disruption to their "routine", play the parade and put their finest show of the year on the field a few hours later, truly deserve to be called Champions.

FWIW, both DCI AND DCA used to have parades during the days leading up to the World Championships. The last DCI parade I recall was during the late 90's when Finals were in Orlando, and Disney was the main sponsor (and picking up the tab for the cost of using the Citus Bowl). The Finalists from the previous year paraded through Epcot. The only drawback to that was that you had to have paid the tab to park and admittance to Epcot in order to enjoy the parade. In Indy, especially downtown, you need to go out of your way to NOT be treated to "free drum corps" in the days leading up to Finals...the park is filled with corps warming up, there has been a prime time weekday performance at the Arts Garden and there are plenty of well publicized opportunities to learn about and interact with DCI, the participating corps or drum corps in general.

The parade is a good idea as good PR...but it should definitely be earlier in the week, might be a good way to kickoff the Wednesday night party. No corps should be exempt, either. There are enough other things happening on Saturday of Finals week, from the FDCI reception, individual corps get togethers, behind the scenes stadium tours, etc. without throwing a parade into that day as well.

How much is DCI paying the corps to participate in this parade?

We arrived at 6:00 p.m. on August 12 and met lots of 11 year old Beiber fans dressed in purple T shirts with sequins. On August 13, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. we watched the Governor and 500 friends ride motorcycles in Indy. Kinda like a parade :-) We couldn't cross the street so we watched it all and went to DCI semis that evening. We had a wonderful long weekend! A parade and drum corps :-)

Why waste time learning to do something that you will do a handful of times and never be judged for? Corps clean straight lines and intervals in context of their drill. If a parade block were written into the show, you better believe it'd be clean. Heck, there was a good example of that this last summer!

How much is DCI paying the corps to participate in this parade?

Yeah, who cares if it helps the activtity. I't sll about the members and corps right?

IOW - it's all about ME!!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari