Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

Let's play out this scenario (Which could definitely happen...IMO). Let's say a fourteen year old band kid and his parents attend the parade and it is their first ever exposure to drum corps. Spirit marches by...and this particular fourteen year old is in complete awe of what he/she see's or hears. The band kid says..."I want to march with this corps...there awesome". The three of them decide to go to the DCI finals. The first ting the fourteen year notices is that Spirit is not in the show. Also, after watching the higher scoring corps (For 2011)....this same fourteen year old says...WOW...I have to march with Crown. Great...Spirit created the buzz....yet Crown trumps Spirit and gets the credit (If you will) and a potential member..... :thumbdown:

Since the G-8 consider themselves to be on some higher plain then the other member corps...let "Them" represent the activity !!

No disrespect to Spirit...you could very well make finals in 2011...... :thumbup:

God that's weak. How many kids who've never been exposed to corps before will make a top 12 corps their first try?

Dang, what is with all this crying and moaning about one friggin' PARADE!!! Those who will be marching will B!^$& and moan about it because that is what Kids do when they have to do what they don't want to. But they'll DO IT, and I bet they'll do it WELL!

The thing is, their season is OVER as far as practicing and getting ready for a Show. Believe me, they can handle it and they'll get OVER IT! It will promote the activity to those who have no clue what it is all about and the kids will get one last chance to perform for the people. Isn't that what everyone who marches LIVES FOR?

Now, think about this. I bet most of the Corps that haven't made it to finals have kids in it that aren't all 19 to 21 years old. Don't you think that Just Maybe a 14 year old would see the younger kids in these corps and think "Hey, if someone MY age can do something that looks and sounds so cool, maybe I can too!". How's that for a dreamed up scenerio?

As for having the Parade on Wednesday, isn't I&E that day, or not? Wouldn't it be hard to have a parade since that is an all day thing anyway?

O.K... rant done, carry on...

I dunno, maybe you should ask the kids in SCV next time you see them if they would want to do a parade if they didn't make finals this year. Want to bet what their answers would be, even after you calmly explained to them that they would get to perform one more time? If you think drum corps members live for parades, then I don't know what to tell you.

In the land before time, I was a DM for 7 years; parades were judged for money or because you had to. Weather was a factor whether we liked it or not. Parades have many variables. As a DM I got the corps playing when I could see the big crowd or camera crew a block away. Otherwise, street cadence with flagwork. Our corps was on the local news at 6 alot. Thank you camera crew!

Let's play out this scenario (Which could definitely happen...IMO). Let's say a fourteen year old band kid and his parents attend the parade and it is their first ever exposure to drum corps. Spirit marches by...and this particular fourteen year old is in complete awe of what he/she see's or hears. The band kid says..."I want to march with this corps...there awesome". The three of them decide to go to the DCI finals. The first ting the fourteen year notices is that Spirit is not in the show. Also, after watching the higher scoring corps (For 2011)....this same fourteen year old says...WOW...I have to march with Crown. Great...Spirit created the buzz....yet Crown trumps Spirit and gets the credit (If you will) and a potential member..... :thumbdown:

Since the G-8 consider themselves to be on some higher plain then the other member corps...let "Them" represent the activity !!

No disrespect to Spirit...you could very well make finals in 2011...... :thumbup:

My first exposure of DCI was from a Phantom Regiment video, and like you suggested, I did indeed feel captivated to march there. However, being a woodwind player and not so quick to picking up brass or guard (DL is out of the question XD) I decided to look at a 'lower corps'. In fact I am marching open class, not even top 8, and feel like this is going to be a fantastic summer.

Exposure at all was what got me involved :)

• Like 4

My first exposure of DCI was from a Phantom Regiment video, and like you suggested, I did indeed feel captivated to march there. However, being a woodwind player and not so quick to picking up brass or guard (DL is out of the question XD) I decided to look at a 'lower corps'. In fact I am marching open class, not even top 8, and feel like this is going to be a fantastic summer.

Exposure at all was what got me involved :)

With your attitude, you will have a great summer and your instructors will love you and encourage your attitude to wear off on others.

As for having the Parade on Wednesday, isn't I&E that day, or not? Wouldn't it be hard to have a parade since that is an all day thing anyway?

Wednesday is no longer I & E day, that is now not even in Indy or at the end of the season but earlier in San Antonio IIRC. There is a kickoff party Wednesday night in downtown Indy and if there's going to be a parade, I can't think of a better way to start the festivities.

I dunno, maybe you should ask the kids in SCV next time you see them if they would want to do a parade if they didn't make finals this year. Want to bet what their answers would be, even after you calmly explained to them that they would get to perform one more time? If you think drum corps members live for parades, then I don't know what to tell you.

Big diff between SCV not making Finals or an OC corps not being in the Saturday night big show.

And the post said kids live to perform.... not kids live to parade.....

One of the eternal lessons of drum corps concerns the virtue of individuals striving and sacrificing for goals and achievement that aren't individual but instead accrue to the group. I fail to see how this parade is different or why so many of you have forgotten what drum corps is about.

HH

I can't believe how many crybabies on this thread.

Try growing up in New Orleans where you usually marched 15 parades ( between drum corps and your high school band ) in 11 days. No not these little dinky drum corps parades but parades that were minimum 5 miles long and sometimes as much as 8 miles.

We always laughed at how short drm corps parades were on tour and none of us were in the shape these kids are today.

Oh gee, the humility of having to march around the block...............

:rock::doh:

• Like 2

Well, if that day ever comes (Gail forbid)... I could ask them if they want to do it and most likely they would B**** about it. That's a no brainer. Then after a good cry and moan, they would don their Uniforms, their Stars and their Aussies. After THAT, they would set out to play their best last performance with the intent of making all who came before them proud, because that is WHO THEY ARE... You can bet on That!