Cadets2

While this should be interesting, don't get it twisted. This won't be about DCA, It's about the Cadets organization. Will this maybe lead to a 3rd division in DCA?

There is nothing to stop "recent ageouts" from marching right now, in any corps in DCA...the simple fact is that the "recent ageouts" from Cadets (and most other DCI WC Finalist corps, for that matter)are most likely NOT from the local area where the Cadets are based. I don't think you're going to see a recent ageout from Texas flying back to Allentown every weekend to compete with C2. It seems more like "recent ageouts" realize it's time to get a job and settle down, and life tends to get in the way of the rehearsal time needed to maintain the WC finalist performance level.

As has been mentioned earlier, if this were any other organization other than the Cadets, I would be looking forward to it...but, considering Hoppy and his attempts to morph DCI into his vision of what drum corps should be ("super band"), IMO he is just trying to eliminate what we now know as drum corps and it will be confined to alumni corps, and will eventually die off as those participants continually dwindle. Does anyone remember the last DCA corps that was under the YEA umbrella? Try the Sunrisers (back when YEA was also trying to run Crown and Boston in addition to Cadets and Crossmen)...that relationship lasted about a year, and they have struggled to make it back onto the field ever since-they have been back a couple of times, only to try rebuilding yet again. What has changed that makes this better this time around? I would rather not see DCA go the way of voice, amps and synths, etc. and even though Hoppy may not be driving the car, there's no doubt whomever is will be working for him.

If everyone settled down as you say there wouldnt have ever been a DCA , I know you said WC level. I dont think its being formed to attract people other than certain radius. To answer you why it may be different ( maybe ) compared to other groups they may have managed, this is directly theirs and I'm sure will be run completely under cadet rule and not just as a by product under the management of.

Now Personally I am far from a fan of Hop. UGHHHHHH :blink: BUT Hop or not Drum Corps in my opinion WILL change as we know it. This will and in many opinions should. do i like hearing electronics? NO, Synths? No But I also dont feel like just because I did it one way it needs to stay that way forever. You said also Hops vision of what drum corps should be..well as that is extremely arrogant in his thinking its just as arrogant to think because we know it one way its the only way....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Yeah, I do wonder about that: all-age should really mean, well . . .all-age. I don't want to skew the conversation with this new group as some sort of "farm team" for the Cadets, but, really, what would be the harm in opening it up to over-22?

The YEA! mission statement is aimed at 'young people' for one reason. But...they did hint at raising it a bit. I would guess this will happen if the turnout is less than they hope.

They have a huge base of HS with USSBA in the area. I think that keeping it somewhat youth-oriented makes it an easier sell to parents in the area.

More likely is that the Cadets are trying to take control of their own feeder program instead of leaving it up to other organizations. The fact that it's 22 and under makes it pretty clear that they are going to consider this their primary training ground for future Cadets (DCI), much like BDB and SCVC. With that comes certain expectations, the most obvious being that they'd want to make the experience as streamlined as possible between the two groups to facilitate smooth transitions for students from Cadets2 to The Cadets. This represents a unique training opportunity for the cadets, and I'm sure that as a world class organization they've thought long and hard about how to maximize their return on this endeavor.

Since the new corps is not touring, it will draw mostly local members. The WC corps draws from all over. I don't think the feeder corps aspect is all that important.

If it is a feeder corps, then they should be in DCI competing against BDB and SCV Cadets. But, I guess George doesn't want to pay the travel costs for a feeder corps to go to DCI (even though BD and SCV have been doing it for years).

Well, there are a total of three all-Open class shows relatively close to Allentown all summer. DCA provides many more opportunities to compete and still remain weekend only.

• Like 1

While this whole concept creeps me out and makes me think there are some ulterior motives afoot, I can see a positive...

If the C2 members have a great time participating in DCA, when they exceed the membership age restrictions maybe they'll stick with the activity...instead of a feeder-corps for C1, Hoppy just created a feeder-corps for the entire DCA circuit! This would be especially effective if they do decide to include the 23-24y.o. kids - age-outs from C1 that still want to march join C2, get exposed to DCA, get the boot when they hit 25, then decide to continue marching...THOSE are the kids that might travel from all over just to get a couple more years in with their alumni organization, then return home and fill the ranks of their local corps.

But I doubt anything remotely like this would play out.

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so my thoughts may already have been commented upon, but....

It seems to me I heard of something like this happening many years ago, when I was just an infant. Somebody said, "If you'll just allow me an Anschluss with Austria, I won't ask for anything more." Then a little while later that same person said, "If you'll just give me the Sudetenland, then I won't ask for anything more." And then, a short time later, that same person said, "If you'll just allow me the rest of Czechoslovakia, then I won't ask for anything more."

So today, seventy years later, someone says, "If you'll only let me get my foot in the DCA door...."

So,... George Hopkins taking a Corps into DCA is akin to Adolf Hitler's putting his boot into Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia, and his Nazis Party incineration of millions of jews, communists, gypsies, et al ?

I don't like George Hopkins. But good grief Man, this is more than a little over the top as an analogy, doncha think ? Get a friggin' grip on perspective, ya know ?

Edited by BRASSO

So,... George Hopkins taking a Corps into DCA is akin to Adolf Hitler's putting his boot into Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Russia, and his Nazis Party incineration of millions of jews, communists, gypsies, et al ?

I don't like George Hopkins. But good grief Man, this is more than a little over the top as an analogy, doncha think ? Get a friggin' grip on perspective, ya know ?

:thumbup:

well, no. if crown, phantom, cavies...whoever started a dca corps with age limits i would be unhappy too. this to me seems like C2 will run the table in a year or two after starting up. In a few years people will be saying "Im sick of seeing C2 win"

Do you honestly believe a world class 'feeder' unit will run the table against the top DCA units? Especially considering the relative youth of the top DCA units? Personally I see such a unit being competitive and maybe even influential from a programming respect, but I think they are unlikely to dominate. Consider that a good deal of the best and brightest of their membership and staff may be pushed up to the Cadets each year. I would put age and experience against a corps full of talented rookies any year.

No matter what it is going to be fun to watch.