Cadets2

I am thinking about the competative landscape and looking at the 2012 DCA finals, in Annapolis. We will see the usual DCA powerhouse corps who will no doubt, step up their respective programs accordingly. DCA Class A continues to be a competative hotbed. Now add to this, The Kidsgrove Scouts and "Cadets 2".... This is going to sell alot of tickets to DCA finals weekend.

I honestly don't see why everyone is freaking out. I'm positive this new corps will not be of the same quality as the Cadets. Cadets rehearse everyday from mid-May to mid-August. This new Cadets2 will only rehearse on the weekends; that's a very small fraction of the World Class rehearsal time. Not to mention the talent level will not be the same. You guys in DCA underestimate yourselves a little too much. Alot of you guys have more talent than any of these kids in DCI. Do you guys see the products you put on the field with a fraction of the resources DCI corps have? It's nothing short of amazing.

I wouldn't spend too much time worring about. Welcome this new group and hope more organization follow and do the same. God knows I've had this idea planted in my brain for some time now, and Hopkins taking this brave step might encourage me to do that same.

Embrace it.

Lots of very good points here. Keep in mind that Cadets2 is specifically for kids who want to go to Cadets but either a) aren't good enough yet or b) can't swing the financial/time commitment. It's not like the full membership of Cadets1 is going to show up in Annapolis and run away with the title. This is in no way saying that they won't be good, just that I don't think that they will be the world-beaters that some may fear right out of the gate.

Guardling, I will handle your repsonse for you...

Time will tell

:tongue:

well, no. if crown, phantom, cavies...whoever started a dca corps with age limits i would be unhappy too. this to me seems like C2 will run the table in a year or two after starting up. In a few years people will be saying "Im sick of seeing C2 win"

Not so much that but you will see other corps adopting the 16-22 year old rule so they ramp up the visual demand of the show to match what is winning.

I honestly don't see why everyone is freaking out. I'm positive this new corps will not be of the same quality as the Cadets. Cadets rehearse everyday from mid-May to mid-August. This new Cadets2 will only rehearse on the weekends.

Actually someone told me to check out George's FB page. He said would like the corps to also compete within DCI when local shows are in the area (PA/NJ). Not sure how that will work within the current DCA rules, nor do I think a weekend only rehearsal schedule would work when competing within DCI....

Yeah, I do wonder about that: all-age should really mean, well . . .all-age. I don't want to skew the conversation with this new group as some sort of "farm team" for the Cadets, but, really, what would be the harm in opening it up to over-22?

Anyone familiar with the DCA rules that can speak to this? I know some corps have an age minimum . . .but has anyone ever tried to run with a hard max cap like this before?

• I suspect it's for a couple of reasons ... They may well have incorporated "youth activity" and defined age ranges for membership in their by-laws and 50( c )3 application ... If they wanted to start serving adults, they'd likely have to amend their by-laws and go through some process with the IRS.
  • Marketing can also be an issue ... They may feel that not being able to market YEA as well ... Youth Entertainment in the Arts, might present an image/fundraising issue.
  • Likely real reason: Dealing with adults is a lot harder than dealing with "kids", who will generally put up with a lot more and will do what they are told without argument. Anyone who's marched in a senior corps knows how different that challenge can be. Besides, they're making no bones about providing a training opportunity for kids who want to move up to the Cadets.

I agree with some of the other folks ... Before unleashing something on DCA that could potentially force a cultural change in the competitive makeup of the organizations, the Cadets should have their "B" corps compete in Open Class with corps like BDB and SCV Cadets.

Edited by DCIHasBeen
  • Like 1

I honestly don't see why everyone is freaking out. I'm positive this new corps will not be of the same quality as the Cadets. Cadets rehearse everyday from mid-May to mid-August. This new Cadets2 will only rehearse on the weekends; that's a very small fraction of the World Class rehearsal time. Not to mention the talent level will not be the same. You guys in DCA underestimate yourselves a little too much. Alot of you guys have more talent than any of these kids in DCI. Do you guys see the products you put on the field with a fraction of the resources DCI corps have? It's nothing short of amazing.

I wouldn't spend too much time worring about. Welcome this new group and hope more organization follow and do the same. God knows I've had this idea planted in my brain for some time now, and Hopkins taking this brave step might encourage me to do that same.

Embrace it.

I don't think you really see the big picture here. When people are cut from The Cadets, they will be told that if they REALLY want to make the Cadets in the future, they need to spend a year in the Cadets2. Soon it will become almost a prerequisite for most members to even being seriously considered for The Cadets. This is what happens with SCVC/BDB now, and this is why those open class programs are so successful.

• Like 1

This is what happens with SCVC/BDB now, and this is why those open class programs are so successful.

Bwahahahaha. No, no it's not. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by Kamarag

I agree with some of the other folks ... Before unleashing something on DCA that could potentially force a cultural change in the competitive makeup of the organizations, the Cadets should have their "B" corps compete in Open Class with corps like BDB and SCV Cadets.

You are probably right. However, George Hopkins is on record as stating that he is not even in favor of the future continuation of the Open Class in DCI. If he had his way, DCI would end the DCI Open Class Division. As such, he'd not be in favor of introducing a " B " Corps for DCI competition.

Edited by BRASSO