Cadets2

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so my thoughts may already have been commented upon, but....

It seems to me I heard of something like this happening many years ago, when I was just an infant. Somebody said, "If you'll just allow me an Anschluss with Austria, I won't ask for anything more." Then a little while later that same person said, "If you'll just give me the Sudetenland, then I won't ask for anything more." And then, a short time later, that same person said, "If you'll just allow me the rest of Czechoslovakia, then I won't ask for anything more."

So today, seventy years later, someone says, "If you'll only let me get my foot in the DCA door...."

This thread has been Godwined. Game over.

Interesting thought. But how do the Cavies and Scouts get around it?

Scouts and Cavies can discriminate on gender; what is the difference?

Cavies and Scouts get away with this because they are a fraternity. I believe years ago, if I remember hearing correctly, it WAS fought, and the case was lost by the person who fought it, because, as a fraternity, they are not required to follow non-discrimination of genders. While I am a member of a fraternity, as is my sister, they are both Co-ed. Scouts and Cavies are not recognized as co-ed and therefore do not have to allow women into the organizations.

In regards to C2... yes, while I'm slightly bothered by it, a good point was brought up to me by a fellow Cab and previous Cadet member... as a private organization, they are allowed to restrict membership as necessary. In the end, it's DCA that's allowing them to be on the same circuit. No one argues with DCI about the age limit, and they are a private organization that governs a competitive circuit for other private organizations. DCA is the same, just without the age limit. Therefore, is there much difference?

And in regards to the younger members in DCA corps... being that I'm not 30 yet, 3 years ago I was one of 10 members out of 50 horn players in the corps that were born after 1982.... And the majority of those that weren't are 17/18 y/o. Even now. As a whole, in the 17 years I've been around the activity (which I realize is a drop in the bucket to most of you) the average age of DCA corps has been getting lower. It's just how it is. Yes, there are a few olders in the corps... I think in ALL corps there are a few of middle and upper aged members sprinkled in amongst the "kids". But I also see those "kids" pushing those older members to work harder and be better. No one wants to be out worked by a kid. I was kind of shocked when I came back in '08 and realized that I was considered old in my mid-20s... yea... so if that doesn't say something to the average ages.

It could be a good thing. It could be a bad thing. We don't know until it happens.

This is an epic, epic win. I haven't always been the biggest Hopkins fan, but I won't let that cloud my perspective.

Another corps for DCA.... WIN

A more affordable option for youth to participate in drum corps... WIN

I am excited about this.

Way to go YEA!

• Like 1

Can a Not for Profit organization that is recognized by the Federal Government as such, discriminate on age ?

ARE THE BOY SCOUTS NON PROFIT??

What if a marcher that is over their age cap and is rejected on participation because of the marchers " age " when DCA has the " All Age " division set up that presumably this new DCA Corps will be competing in. Can the Cadets2 do this, and not run afoul of Federal Statues, thus jeapordizing the entire YEA organization's tax exempt status ? (Just asking, mind you. I'm sure they've thought this all through though.)

Actually, this is logical fallacy. One new corps, from the minds that brought aforementioned toys, does not constitute a shakeup to all of the other corps. Specifically, the A&E discussion HAS happened almost annually in DCA, and has not ever made it past the rules congress (right Jeff?). Just because a new group comes in does not mean that suddenly everyone needs to trot out the orange cords to keep up... right?

Correct. It's never been up for a real vote in DCA because DCA looks at art yes, but fiscal reality too. They dint always mesh, but DCI hasn't learned that yet.

I just hope YEA does this better than when they ran Sun. They never fully recovered

• Like 1

Message I got via email en route to Wildwood:

"A feeder for Cadets eh? Guess surf kids aren't bailing like they hoped and maybe selling Crossmen off wasn't such a good idea after all"

I snarfed my iced tea reading it, because the sender was a Cadets alum

• Like 1

Correct. It's never been up for a real vote in DCA because DCA looks at art yes, but fiscal reality too. They dint always mesh, but DCI hasn't learned that yet.

I just hope YEA does this better than when they ran Sun. They never fully recovered

Im really not a fan of this guy ( Hop ) but you cant blame all these years later still on him with Sun...As I remember they were not in great shape and on a downslide when Cadets went on board. BUT even if they were at fault for everything Its been many years cant blame them now!! As for crossmen they were also a mess when talken over...OK a mess when they left also..lol

Message I got via email en route to Wildwood:

"A feeder for Cadets eh? Guess surf kids aren't bailing like they hoped and maybe selling Crossmen off wasn't such a good idea after all"

I snarfed my iced tea reading it, because the sender was a Cadets alum

why would Surf kids bail now? this isnt happening for anotrher year

Edited by GUARDLING

I have a couple things to add here... When is enough going to be ENOUGH? Is this really what DCA wants? When is somebody going to have the balls to look Mr. Hopkins in the eye and say your not wanted here? Take your money and your circus freak show and stick it up your ...! Its coming, and I hope I am there to see it. You all need to check out his personal blog, what he really thinks about things Drum and Bugle Corps wise especially DCA, before you all decide on letting him in. He is pretty ###### off right now, seeing that he did not get his way with the g7. Look at DCI these days, not doing real great right now and hes the big man on campus... just saying. You all might want to think this one out, before you let him in. Is this really what DCA wants?

I will add this edit just for good measure...

If you all need someone to look him straight in the eye and tell him face to face that his schtick is getting real old "I am more than happy to do it" he does not impress me, his kids do.

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

I have a couple things to add here... When is enough going to be ENOUGH? Is this really what DCA wants? When is somebody going to have the balls to look Mr. Hopkins in the eye and say your not wanted here? Take your money and your circus freak show and stick it up your ...! Its coming, and I hope I am there to see it. You all need to check out his personal blog, what he really thinks about things Drum and Bugle Corps wise especially DCA, before you all decide on letting him in. He is pretty ###### off right now, seeing that he did not get his way with the g7. Look at DCI these days, not doing real great right now and hes the big man on campus... just saying. You all might want to think this one out, before you let him in. Is this really what DCA wants?

I will add this edit just for good measure...

If you all need someone to look him straight in the eye and tell him face to face that his schtick is getting real old "I am more than happy to do it" he does not impress me, his kids do.

Cadets2 still have to pass the approval processes (forget the term) from DCA. From what I've read DCA concentrates on the financial end and takes place after the corps is formed and has members. If he has the assets to get a corps together why not. LOL, maybe GH will actually learn what DCA IS about. Anyway won't be until next year anyway at the very earliest, I'm waiting for this to blow over.