Cadets2

And how much time will they have to learn that drill?

My guess would be a LOT more time than your average DCA corps member with full time job and family. Sounds like Cadets are looking for a cheap feeder organization.

alot more than most adults and dont have to take as many breaks..lol :beer:

LOL, wish I knew the age breakdown of current DCA corps better as having a 22 and under corps makes things interesting. What else gets thrown into this mix is the design staff who might be the same people or at least some of the same. And no knocks of any of YEAs show design. (Ya might not like the show but it's put well together.) As for instructional staff guessing this might be used as a YEA training ground for new people coming up so another win for YEA.

OK, personally makes it interesting since my corps was about half DCI eligible when I marched in the 70s. We started out bad at first but built up to 5th at Finals mainly by gaining experience and improving our staff. Head to head, C2 vs rest of DCA should be interesting as it would be YEAs resources and youth on the field vs experience of DCA members on the field.

Hell, might put more bodies in the stands come show time... a win for all. :thumbup:

LOL, wish I knew the age breakdown of current DCA corps better as having a 22 and under corps makes things interesting. What else gets thrown into this mix is the design staff who might be the same people or at least some of the same. And no knocks of any of YEAs show design. (Ya might not like the show but it's put well together.) As for instructional staff guessing this might be used as a YEA training ground for new people coming up so another win for YEA.

OK, personally makes it interesting since my corps was about half DCI eligible when I marched in the 70s. We started out bad at first but built up to 5th at Finals mainly by gaining experience and improving our staff. Head to head, C2 vs rest of DCA should be interesting as it would be YEAs resources and youth on the field vs experience of DCA members on the field.

Hell, might put more bodies in the stands come show time... a win for all. :thumbup:

Alumni got an e mail talking about music....staff which alot will be shared for both corps and the concept behind C2

Alumni got an e mail talking about music....staff which alot will be shared for both corps and the concept behind C2

Kinda figured but wondering how the staff will be assigned during the season. Especially when C1 (couldn't resist) is on tour and C2 is on the East Coast. LOL, too bad Cadets using Gettysburg College as a camp site fell thru a few years back. Would be fun to have both corps less than an hour away starting things up.

I hear this is all started after a disputed poker game on the Cadet staff bus last year. Geno had four of a kind and put up the Buccs winning streak as collateral for the pot and Hopkins pulled an inside straight flush on the River. :devil:

Does anyone actually look forward to competing against a corps consisting of 16-22 year olds, 128 strong? What are the chances of ANYONE being even physically capable of performing some of the drill they will be able to put out. Not to mention the fact that for most of these kids Cadets2 and a part time job at Walmart is all they will have going in their lives. And folks think there's a lack of competitive parity now??!! Sure, let them join and compete. But let's have them open their membership to all age so we can at least have some semblance of a level playing field.

Head to head, C2 vs rest of DCA should be interesting as it would be YEAs resources and youth on the field vs experience of DCA members on the field.

Ya'll know how much I hate to be a naysayer, but I don't think it would be interesting at all. I think it would be a blood bath.

Does anyone actually look forward to competing against a corps consisting of 16-22 year olds, 128 strong? What are the chances of ANYONE being even physically capable of performing some of the drill they will be able to put out. Not to mention the fact that for most of these kids Cadets2 and a part time job at Walmart is all they will have going in their lives. And folks think there's a lack of competitive parity now??!! Sure, let them join and compete. But let's have them open their membership to all age so we can at least have some semblance of a level playing field.

And then what? If only 16-22 year olds actually join, disqualify the corps?

Take a deep breath. We're talking about a corps that currently has zero members....no guarantee they'll be full. They will recruit people interested in competing in DCA, just like all the other DCA corps. They will do a weekend-warrior schedule, just like all the other DCA corps. They will balance drill demand vs. rehearsal time, just like all the other DCA corps. They will deal with band camp conflicts, just like all the other DCA corps.

And if they actually manage to field a full corps of all 16-22 year olds....well, nothing's stopping any other DCA corps from doing the same (if there even is any advantage to limiting the age range in that manner).

You know, what really baffles me about this is how so many people have advocated DCA as a lower-cost option to DCI, even going as far as to suggest that new corps consider DCA instead of the DCI open-class model, and that marchers look at DCA purely for the lower dues. Oh, look....you said that yourself back in this thread.

Now that someone is actually taking that advice, you complain that it isn't fair?

• Like 2

Ya'll know how much I hate to be a naysayer, but I don't think it would be interesting at all. I think it would be a blood bath.

Well seeing how I go to watch the shows and don't care that much about the rankings...

Actually I like the variety which is why my olde butt is out there for Minis and start of Prelims Sat AM..... And I'm usually back at the hotel a few hours before Prelims are over as I'll see those corps Sunday night. And gotta get my rest for the Sunday morning Alumni-type show.

Edit: Plus figure the C2 members will be mostly newbies so this aint' actually gonna be Cadets caliber experience roaring out on the field. Think of it more like OC corps that people use to get experience.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

An escerpt from George's responce to Ken on Facebook:

George Hopkins ‎@ken .... I hear you. We talked to the folks at DCA and they seem genuinely supportive. SO ... our plan is to play off the USSBA, work with local colleges and see if there is a market for weekend only drum corps. We would like to maintain ...the youth thing .... same rules and regulations as the Cadets. And if things to not shake as we expect, we could adjust -- but only by a few years. I know folks do it -- but we get a little nervous with 40 year olds and 16 year olds hanging out on the same bus.See More

Wednesday at 2:18pm ·

So to clarify, his intent is to recruit from his own organization (USSBA) and get only the top performers (those he didn't keep for his world class corps) and stack the deck. not only is he taking away the level playing field for corps that are already struggling in the area who look to the high schools and collages for members as it is (Talking DCI here) but he is making it only one decision for anyone to go. it's Cadets or nothing. In his own letter to alumni members he quoted the buc's as a DCI corps, now i would excuse him on that one since i know he does have typo's from time to time but Mr Hopkins i ask you for once think about the corps around you in the DCI circuit who fight to field a corps every year and stop taking members who would not otherwise have the chance to do it just so you can afford another season of baseball tickets ro to fly to a meeting you could have just done over the phone.

Oh and for record, these are my own opinions not of any organization or for someone else but as someone who has already been burnt by the fire caused by Mr Hopkins and his minions of YEA.