Cadets2

If your age 30 or older,the answer would be "yes".I guess an even bigger question would be,is this the direction DCA wants to go in.The 16-22 year olds,already have DCI.For us older corps members,DCA is all we have.That is why it needs to remain all age,which i thought meant members of all ages,young to mature.Why would 16-22 years olds need DCA and DCI all to themselves? I Think that would be pointless an silly.All age should mean just that"ALL AGE".

Why is it a problem that not everybody can march in every corps? Some DCA corps have limited age on the bottom end by requiring 18 yrs and up, some DCI corps have limited themselves to gender (Madison, Cavies, and there once were all girl corps as well). These groups choosing to put limitations on their members hasn't meant that anyone else had to create the same limitations.

Limiting membership in any way is always going to give some kind of advantage, but inevitably will come with some kind of disadvantage as well.

• Like 1

If your age 30 or older,the answer would be "yes".I guess an even bigger question would be,is this the direction DCA wants to go in.The 16-22 year olds,already have DCI.For us older corps members,DCA is all we have.That is why it needs to remain all age,which i thought meant members of all ages,young to mature.Why would 16-22 years olds need DCA and DCI all to themselves? I Think that would be pointless an silly.All age should mean just that"ALL AGE".

all age means........all ages allowed not all ages have to be taken........We may not like that but no rules have been broken. Each corps can contol this hoever they choose.

I really don't think this means there won't be a place for "older" members in DCA. I played competitive baskeball until I was 45 and competed against high school and college age players all the time and did just fine. Now, could I hold a candle to an elite player at a division 1 college level? No way. But I never could even in college. If DCA gets to the point like DCI where corps are auditioning hundreds of people to fill the 65 spots in a hornline, then the strongest players, musically and physically, will be selected and that would limit the number of "older" members. Does anyone really see that happening?

Why is it a problem that not everybody can march in every corps? Some DCA corps have limited age on the bottom end by requiring 18 yrs and up, some DCI corps have limited themselves to gender (Madison, Cavies, and there once were all girl corps as well). These groups choosing to put limitations on their members hasn't meant that anyone else had to create the same limitations.

Limiting membership in any way is always going to give some kind of advantage, but inevitably will come with some kind of disadvantage as well.

I don't have a problem with corps setting their own limits and guidelines for age or gender. DCA rules say they can.That's the freedom of DCA.However,if all corps were to use that freedom,and decide to only accept members in the 16-22 year old age range,DCA would know longer be an all age drum and bugle corps organization.You would age out at age 22.There is no other way of looking at it.And all DCA corps can do this if they really want to.And they would be within DCA rules.So,you would no longer have to worry about not being able to march in some corps, vs others.If you are 23 years of age or older,you wounldn't be able to march in any corps in DCA or DCI.That was the point i was trying to make.

I don't have a problem with corps setting their own limits and guidelines for age or gender. DCA rules say they can.That's the freedom of DCA.However,if all corps were to use that freedom,and decide to only accept members in the 16-22 year old age range,DCA would know longer be an all age drum and bugle corps organization.You would age out at age 22.There is no other way of looking at it.And all DCA corps can do this if they really want to.And they would be within DCA rules.So,you would no longer have to worry about not being able to march in some corps, vs others.If you are 23 years of age or older,you wounldn't be able to march in any corps in DCA or DCI.That was the point i was trying to make.

Well if we're going to play the "what if" game, what if all corps decided to only accept men, like Madison and Cavies? Then women wouldn't be able to march anymore. But that's not likely, as there are a lot of women who want to march and there's a benefit to having women in the corps.

There's also a benefit to having folks who have done this for decades in the corps. Now, how that benefit weighs in against youth is something we'll see. But I don't see any reason why all other DCA corps will start to limit their age range as well.

Edited by CuriousMe

DCA is a very open, and inviting area for Corps. I think that is what makes DCA more appealing too many. The Variety of size and style of the many different members. Un-like with the "Keeping up with the Jone's") money pit of being in DCI. The rules allow every unit to make what ever restrictions on themselves they want. They may want to stay more "Old Style" in some ways. They may want to use G horns Only. They may not want to travel much. They may want to take one weekend off a month in season. They may want to have all male. They may want to have a higher starting age. OR. They may not want people over a certain age.

There are MANY things open to DCA groups.

I happen to like the 16 and above age thing and NO upper limit. I happen to like G Horns. I like Music played as close to Original as Possible. I do Not like pit's the size of a small Corps. ETC. But. It is NOT up to me. (and rightfully so)

Then to be honest I would have rather had Nashua, NH "Spartans", A TOP , DCI Open Class group. But, not an Open Class, NJ"Raiders" type. (Still don't know if "Raiders" got their "Bass Guitar" spot filled yet.) Yes, "Spartans", just switch over to DCA. OR maybe, a Manchester, NH "Muchachoes". (an Alumni/Exhibition type Corps.) I do Not want "DCI Lite"

But, It's NOT up to me. (and AGAIN - and rightfully so)

The Ticket Paying Public will let you know. That's why I am going to drive about 50 miles to see a DCA show. NOT the one many miles Closer to my home.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

all age means........all ages allowed not all ages have to be taken........We may not like that but no rules have been broken. Each corps can contol this hoever they choose.

I don't remember saying anything about rules being broken.And i didn't say corps should be forced to take older members or, any member for that matter that could hurt them competitively.All i said was, if all corps were to go with the age range of 16-22,just to be competitive with the Cadets2,there would be no place in DCA or DCI for anyone over the age of 22 years.And i don't care what some rule book says.This would flat out be unfair to older people who love drum and bugle corps,and still want to march.

The one thing i do know is that,the Cadets2 will make all the other corps up their game.2012 is gonna be off the chain!!!!

Edited by koldsilver

I don't remember saying anything about rules being broken.And i didn't say corps should be forced to take older members or, any member for that matter that could hurt them competitively.All i said was, if all corps were to go with the age range of 16-22,just to be competitive with the Cadets2,there would be no place in DCA or DCI for anyone over the age of 22 years.And i don't care what some rule book says.This would flat out be unfair to older people who love drum and bugle corps,and still want to march.

i Dont remember saying you said they broke any rules..just pointing out that they can do what they want if you or I think its right or not. As far as unfair I agree but will also say its a competition isnt it? Noone says older people cant march ,will they have less of an edge? maybe but just maybe people also get comfortable at a mid level and thats fine but you cant fault someone coming in that competition is maybe a big part of the equation. If that isnt a corps thing then it shouldnt matter. If it is ....well someone is going to have to up their game...wont they

i Dont remember saying you said they broke any rules..just pointing out that they can do what they want if you or I think its right or not. As far as unfair I agree but will also say its a competition isnt it? Noone says older people cant march ,will they have less of an edge? maybe but just maybe people also get comfortable at a mid level and thats fine but you cant fault someone coming in that competition is maybe a big part of the equation. If that isnt a corps thing then it shouldnt matter. If it is ....well someone is going to have to up their game...wont they

I agree.As fun as it may be,it is still a competition.You have made some good points.DCA corps are getting better every year.I guess the only thing i can say at this point is .Can't hate the players.Hate the game.If you want to play,your gonna have to bring it.