Cadets2

Exactly.....Thats why theres no point in the ( I dont get why's) he decided his new corps doesn't want to tour, He has made it clear how he feels about OC, He does not want another WC corps or even a limited tour so it leaves DCA....seems pretty clear and we really don't have to get it, he does, after all it's his group isn't it? Besides do you really wanna understand him lol :w00t:

OH!!!! one more thing I'm very sure HE is enjoying all the publicity we are giving his new corps.....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ( the UGH was for him not his new corps..lol )

I agree to a point. I understand how GH may feel about OC. But I believe that if he's going to start a DCA corps, let it be a DCA corps in principle and fact. Not a feeder corps with age restrictions that are completely out of sync with every other DCA unit. I would hope that the proposed corps would not competes in DCA because it's handy. Rather, because of an appreciation of the "All-Age" drum and bugle corps concept. If he simply wants a junior feeder corps, then I think he needs to reform OC.

• Like 1

I agree to a point. I understand how GH may feel about OC. But I believe that if he's going to start a DCA corps, let it be a DCA corps in principle and fact. Not a feeder corps with age restrictions that are completely out of sync with every other DCA unit. I would hope that the proposed corps would not competes in DCA because it's handy. Rather, because of an appreciation of the "All-Age" drum and bugle corps concept. If he simply wants a junior feeder corps, then I think he needs to reform OC.

I know many don't agree with me, but I don't think that the primary point of Cadets2 is to be a feeder corps for Cadets. I think the primary purpose is to allow members who don't have the time/money for a summer tour to be able to have a Cadet experience.

Even back when I marched (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :rolleyes: ) the majority of the Cadet members flew in to camp.....this is a very different demographic than they're looking at for Cadets2.

Now of course, there could be members from Cadets2 who then go on to march Cadets....but I don't think it's the point of creating the unit.

From their announcement and from what I know about the organization, my guess is that they're trying to create more opportunities for members, not make Cadets more competitive to make the line.

I would hope that the proposed corps would not competes in DCA because it's handy. Rather, because of an appreciation of the "All-Age" drum and bugle corps concept.

I'm pretty sure it's the former.

Let's be clear, DCA is largely just a regional circuit. Most activity is focused around the Northeast, and there it has a relatively small (if not loyal) following. Within the pageantry activity, it's one of the least influential circuits. It doesn't push the boundaries of the activity, it doesn't introduce a lot of new or original music, and it doesn't draw a large number of people from around the globe. It's mostly just a regional activity, with regional influence.

So with all that said, I am going to go out on a limb and say that GH doesn't give a hot #### about the DCA concept, or the all-age paradigm. He just wanted to quickest, easiest, cheapest option for him to put together a feeder corps in this locale so that he can boost his flagship corps. Let's not get it twisted here, GH is a smart guy, and any move he makes is going to be leveraged in a way that brings success to all his programs, especially his flagship program.

From the business side of things, it's a very smart and calculated move. If he plays his cards right he'll have an army of recruits to choose from for the cadets, and will successfully change the DCA model to fit his needs.

I know many don't agree with me, but I don't think that the primary point of Cadets2 is to be a feeder corps for Cadets. I think the primary purpose is to allow members who don't have the time/money for a summer tour to be able to have a Cadet experience.

Even back when I marched (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :rolleyes: ) the majority of the Cadet members flew in to camp.....this is a very different demographic than they're looking at for Cadets2.

Now of course, there could be members from Cadets2 who then go on to march Cadets....but I don't think it's the point of creating the unit.

From their announcement and from what I know about the organization, my guess is that they're trying to create more opportunities for members, not make Cadets more competitive to make the line.

Not that I don't like the concept, but from a business point of view, that model doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would they go through the trouble and cost of putting together a corps if it's not going to benefit YEA or The Cadets in some way? Don't they have enough balls in the air already without having to add more to their to-do lists?

no offence BUT I think you are talking way different situations... Im sure the cadets will be ready for whatever and if not they wont come out

Wasn't saying they wouldn't be ready. Just saying that it would help since C2 staff is used to the DCI judging standards.

And Gary, beats me what goes on anymore. :tongue: More I think about it, DCA bent over backwards to help Westshore stay back on the field after a season off. We did a LOT of exhibitions at DCA shows and I can image Larry about begging for score sheets. Bottom line was, IMO DCA wanted/needed a former member to make it back. Especailly since Les Dips and Brigs had gone under the previous few years.

Not that I don't like the concept, but from a business point of view, that model doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would they go through the trouble and cost of putting together a corps if it's not going to benefit YEA or The Cadets in some way? Don't they have enough balls in the air already without having to add more to their to-do lists?

I guess it depends on what you feel benefits YEA.

Cadets2 nearly doubles the amount of members that participate in a Cadet experience. YEA is about teaching life skills through performance, so nearly doubling the amount of "customers" they can serve each year, for a minimal outlay of funds makes great non-profit business sense.

Let me start out. Up Front. I am not happy with the Idea of Cadets2. Too me it is nothing more than a Power move. With a By Product of some members for the W.C. "Cadets". I have shown that a Cadets2 could do just as well in DCI Open Class. But, that is NOT what GH wants. He clearly does NOT want to build or improve DCI Open Class. "No future in that". So he thinks he can come to DCA for a Easier Route to success. DCA Rules allow what he wants to do happen. So, no need to go into that.

The Problem is. DCA has about 5 as DCI as you can be in sight and sound. Then a few more that are aiming that way. So any Rules Congress that comes up in the future. Stand By. After all when W.C. "Cadets" get their New Electronics, Synthys, and mabe soon Guitars, Sax's and Whatever. They will be able to just pass them on to Cadets2. Now since almost ALL DCA Judges are also DCI "Adjudicators" (if not all). It will not be a problem with them. The people that are between 30 and 50 should be the most worried. I am too old and sick to march. But, if you people don't want to be pushed out. Keep an eye on things from now on. It is YOUR future, not mine.

I also want to say something about. "DCA being largely a NorthEast thing". Well till the early '70s. Senior Drum and Bugle Corps competed from all across the USA at VFW and AL Nationals. After the Corps from

Ohio, Ill. Wisc. ND, Mo, OK, NM, Calif. FL and many other places in between went under. The Bad, Evil, NorthEast kept theirs going. DCA came along and did EVERYTHING possible to Expand the area. So lets all get togeather and Hate them for all of that. Those Bad, Evil, North East groups.

Now as to the "Internationl" part of one post. Canada has had "MORE DCA TOP 10 Corps", than DCI from 1972 to NOW than DCI. DCA has had 2, YES TWO, Internatioanal Corps make Finals in the Top Division. One the "Inspires" from Japan. One "Scouts" From England. DCI has NONE in the Top Division. Yes they (DCI groups) get the Thanks for coming award, for some, oh bye the way, "Internatioal" Class. BUT NOT the TOP of WC or OC DIVISION'S.

But, as I said. the Cadets, Yea, GH, have every RIGHT to do as they wish. The DCA Rules say so. Talk all the, Could, Should, Would, you want. The Rules are the Rules. No matter what I think,or most on here

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Ok, not to point out the obvious, but it's not 1970, it's 2011.

I don't care about what DCA was in the 70s, I'm only making judgements based upon where we are now, and right now DCA's influence is really only in the Northeast. I do agree with you though that this is a power move, and the inevitable end of this is the modernization of DCA from the push of these modern programs. DCI, WGI, BOA exert more pressure on the pageantry activity than DCA and the regional circuits can compete with, and eventually that pressure will get to the point where everything falls in line. Cadets 2 will greatly increase the pressure on DCA to modernize, and I wouldn't doubt that their presence will bring their supporters out of the woodwork.

Ok, not to point out the obvious, but it's not 1970, it's 2011.

I don't care about what DCA was in the 70s, I'm only making judgements based upon where we are now, and right now DCA's influence is really only in the Northeast. I do agree with you though that this is a power move, and the inevitable end of this is the modernization of DCA from the push of these modern programs. DCI, WGI, BOA exert more pressure on the pageantry activity than DCA and the regional circuits can compete with, and eventually that pressure will get to the point where everything falls in line. Cadets 2 will greatly increase the pressure on DCA to modernize, and I wouldn't doubt that their presence will bring their supporters out of the woodwork.

Yeah, I notice the effect that this so-called "modernization" has had on the number of dci corps in all classes these last 20 years or so. Look at all the new participants not participating! I think it is just in GH's nature to be controversial and cause the most harm to those not drinking from his kool-aid bucket. It seems to be his way or stand against the wall. Just MHO. OK,I'm done now.

Let the flames begin!

Ray