Cadets2

<snip> "AGE" is not the most important thing. But, I do do think "ALL AGE" should mean "ALL AGE". I understand. A group has to do what ever it has to do. To be a contender at any level.. I know many things in life are unfair. But I also think, that Pleaseing the Ticket Paying "Fans in the Stands", is "Important". Pleasing, Judges and DCI elietists only will lead "One Way Only". Is that where you want to go? If so Great. Go for it.

<snip>

I just want DCA to stay the Great thing it is. With a "Varaity" of Style's. Allowing and Rewarding All, of any All Age or Style group, to Rise to the top.

I'm confused as to how the age of the members is related to pleasing the fans in the stands? Is it only possible to please the fans if there are 40 year old members marching as well?

Wouldn't adding one more corps only add more variety of style?

I'm confused as to how the age of the members is related to pleasing the fans in the stands? Is it only possible to please the fans if there are 40 year old members marching as well?

Yea. I did get in the weeds a bit.

As to Age. I just do not care if a Group is: All Under 25, All Over 18, or any combo their of.

But if having Membership, Only 22 and below (I know they Said maybe 23 an 24 POSSIBLY), AND just another DCI Style Corps. That "may"/"might" get to Voting status right quick, could be, Very Important to the Direction of DCA.

"Pleasing, the Judges and DCI elietists only, will lead "One Way Only".

Is that where you want to go? DCI lite. If so Great. Go for it.

Well, if there's a corps with an age limit in an organization that is based upon the all-age format, the new corps will be out of compliance with the current framework. If this proposed corps joins DCA, it needs to follow DCA rules (as do all DCA corps) and regulations. That means all age, all brass/percussion instrumentation, and so on. I would not want DCA to just allow this new organization to start altering the way it has been successfully functioning before a member has even been recruited to C2. DCA fans like what DCA has to offer. If a corps is not in compliance it is not offering DCA entertainment.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Well, if there's a corps with an age limit in an organization that is based upon the all-age format, the new corps will be out of compliance with the current framework. If this proposed corps joins DCA, it needs to follow DCA rules (as do all DCA corps) and regulations. That means all age, all brass/percussion instrumentation, and so on. I would not want DCA to just allow this new organization to start altering the way it has been successfully functioning before a member has even been recruited to C2. DCA fans like what DCA has to offer. If a corps is not in compliance it is not offering DCA entertainment.

As far as I know, there has NEVER been an age limit (low or high) in DCA ... many ... and I mean MANY DCA corps right from its inception had 15-18 year olds in their ranks ... just ask Reading and Shelton ... always, two youthful corps in the early years ... the term "All Age" was a marketing shift away from the Senior Corps moniker DCA carried ... it was meant to ecourage yout to join DCA corps ... other rules that are in place should of course be followed ...

Andy "all of 18 when I joined Sky" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

As far as I know, there has NEVER been an age limit (low or high) in DCA ... many ... and I mean MANY DCA corps right from its inception had 15-18 year olds in their ranks ... just ask Reading and Shelton ... always, two youthful corps in the early years ... the term "All Age" was a marketing shift away from the Senior Corps moniker DCA carried ... it was meant to ecourage yout to join DCA corps ... other rules that are in place should of course be followed ...

Well, I think you are right. But if the proposed YEA corps sets age limits that would be a DCA precedent. I also think the spirit of limiting age would undermine the all age concept. I think if the Cadets want to set up a DCI style feeder corps they should do so in DCI Open Class rather than subvert DCA's mission.

Also using "Senior" was confusing and a hinderence to recruiting as lot of potential members thought Jr corps was up to 22 and Sr corps was 22+. Still see it here once in a while. Same confusion/hinderence when calling a group an "Alumni" corps when you don't have to have been a member of the competing corps to join.

Heh, always thought Sky and Cabs were 100% 21 and over BITD.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, I think you are right. But if the proposed YEA corps sets age limits that would be a DCA precedent. I also think the spirit of limiting age would undermine the all age concept. I think if the Cadets want to set up a DCI style feeder corps they should do so in DCI Open Class rather than subvert DCA's mission.

Agree! Specialy if Blue Devils, and Santa Clara Vanguard already do that. Why not for the "Cadets2". They would have the Oppertunity to compete against some very good regional Corps of High Quality also, Spartans are almost always in or at the top of that area of things. They would be able to use ALL the DCI Toys. (and not have to go to DCA metings ASKING for them). The Raiders in N.J. usualy do very well also. (bye the way. the Raiders are still looking for a BASS GUITAR player) It is not like they would have to go Nationaly Turing. Maybe just to DCI Championships. Like BD, SCVC, Spartans, and Raiders ETC..

to put this to bed.... and confirming... DCA has NO RULE about age and has never had such a rule... it is all aged legal... that does not mean that a corps MUST allow anyone to perform. Each corps has the freedom to accept or deny any performer or to arbitrarilly set age limits (bottom or top)... In reality, many corps - including my Crusaders 20 years ago have had a bottom limit (ours was 18 minimum)...

Personally, I believe all this banter is way premature ...

Any new corps is a boon to DCA but must comply with all DCA rules to compete in DCA shows. I point out that those rules can not be changed until the next rules congress after the DCA Championship in 2012.

I wish all new corps well.

• Like 2

Heck: I was 12 when I marched Jersey City in 72 with westshore! I think Harvey ( God bless him) was the oldest and I was youngest. I remember taking a picture with him but it got lost over the years!

dd

Did you raise the same concerns when a few corps had age minimums?

• Like 1