Cadets2

Another Star-Cadets throwdown. At DCA Championships, of all places!!! :thumbup:

Sounds like fun. Even if we are the old broken-down version and they are the young wet-behind-the-ears version. Maybe we could bring back Rocky Point-Candide and they could do Belshazzar's or something. :blink: Crazy. Next thing you know the Madison Scouts will be wintering in the old Star Corps Hall......Wait?

In all serious this is an interesting development and can only help but put butts in the bleachers for DCA. And that is All Good. What will win out, age and experience or the fire of youth?

Could this simply be an early foot in the door for YEA! to an already viable circuit, because someone is anticipating the death of (or separation from) an existing international circuit in the future? Ouch. :ph34r:

Ya' think? doh.gif

BRASSO, on 27 April 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

I havn't read a single post on here from any poster that said that George Hopkins " wanted to kill DCA ".

Has anybody else ?

We don't bring ourselves much credibility or glory when we just make up things on here, charlie1223.

That's funny, because you made up a quote from me that I never said, and even put it in quotation marks as if it was copied and pasted from something I said.

is charlie1223 your alter ego mike? sure goes to explain some of his more 'out there' thoughts!!! ;-)

I think this is fantastic news and wish the best to C2! I just hope it doesn't hurt Surf or Bucs. The only concern I have is the age limit issue. I feel this organization should remain open to all ages, being in the tradition of DCA. Moving their age restriction a single year past the DCI age out rule, does nothing for potential members in their mid to late 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's 60's 70's 80's etc.

In 2026, come heck or high water, I plan on taking myself off the market for the year and march my 50th year. If the Cadets have a DCA all age competitive corps at that time, this certainly would be an attractive possibility.

I think this is fantastic news and wish the best to C2! I just hope it doesn't hurt Surf or Bucs. The only concern I have is the age limit issue. I feel this organization should remain open to all ages, being in the tradition of DCA. Moving their age restriction a single year past the DCI age out rule, does nothing for potential members in their mid to late 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's 60's 70's 80's etc.

In 2026, come heck or high water, I plan on taking myself off the market for the year and march my 50th year. If the Cadets have a DCA all age competitive corps at that time, this certainly would be an attractive possibility.

Where have you been? Great to see you back in the fold. Can anybody tell me why we are posting about DCA stuff in the WORLD CLASS FORUM? They have there own forum.

DCI WORLD CLASS Drum and Bugle Corps RULES!

Lets keep things real in the World Class forum... just saying.

• Like 1

Can anybody tell me why we are posting about DCA stuff in the WORLD CLASS FORUM? They have there own forum.

DCI WORLD CLASS Drum and Bugle Corps RULES!

Lets keep things real in the World Class forum... just saying.

. . .because a World Class corps is starting the venture, and it's more or less a "cadet" offshoot of one of the World Class corps. If the Madison Scouts started a DCA corps that was under the auspices of World Class corps, they'd get a thread here too. World Class discussion can also include DCA if there's some sort of crossover circuit-wise, which there is here.

There's a separate thread in the DCA forum that covers the DCA competitive aspect of it.

LOL Jim... when I joined Sunrisers in 1977, some other corps had nicknames for us: "Kids and Girls"....."Milk and Cookie Cadets"... and so forth, because we had a bunch of members under age 22 in the corps. (And... perish the thought back then... women in the horn line and drum line. :tongue: )

But.... we also had a whole bunch of senior/all-age corps veterans in their 20s and 30s. It was those vets who showed us "kids" how to get it done. And judging by the results from 1977 on, I think we did OK. LOL.

Yep, Westshoremen were inactive a season then came back with about half teenaged rookies. Improved for the first few years with drumline our weak point. Then got a bunch of Yankee-Rebel drummers and the weak point was suddenly telling the rest of the corps to catch up.

Cadets2 placings ar DCA should be real interesting if they stay with with the DCI age only. Then they'd be working with a revolving door of members over the seasons. Also interesting if they start at smaller corps Class A or shoot for 65+ member (think that's the number) Open Class.

THANK YOU! When I saw the quoted post, the cleanest thing I could have put on here was "FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.... THIS AGAIN". Acheson choked on that statement once before...

And Don A retracted that statement a few months later when he found out more about DCA and the members. The quote was something like "now I know better". Seems like almost everyone remembers the "reliving glories" but didn't notice the retraction.

And Don A retracted that statement a few months later when he found out more about DCA and the members. The quote was something like "now I know better". Seems like almost everyone remembers the "reliving glories" but didn't notice the retraction.

Yep, sure did. I remember the retraction, and I remember that he was a pretty big man about it as well. Too bad not everyone can say the same...

Yep, sure did. I remember the retraction, and I remember that he was a pretty big man about it as well. Too bad not everyone can say the same...

Agreed, I had just come back to following corps when the first statement was made and to me it made him and DCI look bad. Of course I marched DCA when I was in HS and college so I knew better. When he retracted it wasn't a political thing of blaming someone else or making excuses. He just said that he didn't know any better when he made the statement so saying it was a mistake.

Few years later both he (by phone) and a DCA rep testified in court about the Hershey cobined show being cancelled by the stadium owners. People also don't realize that DCI and DCA have been working together more and more.