Cadets2

Yes, the Boston Crusaders were the first organization to have 2 simultaneous performing groups in both circuits ( DCI and DCA ). Boston was the only organization that did so for over a decade too. If the Cadets2 compete next year, they will be the first organization to then have 2 simultaneous groups that compete in both circuits.

What about Hawthorne, NJ, American Legion Post 199?

This is correct, now that you made me think about it. ( ie,the Hawthorne Muchachos competed in DCI in the 70's, while simultaneously, the Hawthorne Caballeros competed in DCA ). Good point. Boston would be the only current organization with performing units in both DCI and DCA. The Cadets organization appears to be another about to make the leap... and they'll presumably have units competing in each of the Associations as their plan too.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, the Boston Crusaders were the first organization to have 2 simultaneous performing groups in both circuits ( DCI and DCA ). Boston was the only organization that did so for over a decade too. If the Cadets2 compete next year, they will be the first organization to then have 2 simultaneous groups that compete in both circuits.

The Boston Senior Corps.... or the Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston..... never competed in DCA. They were/are an alumni corps exhibition unit and are not, and have not been, a member of the DCA organization.

Various alumni corps (including Boston) perform in exhibition at various DCA shows.... including the Alumni Spectacular show on championmship weekend.... but the alumni corps are not an official part of the DCA organization. DCA does not have an "alumni-corps division."

• Like 1

The difference there is that although both groups were out of the same Legion post as well as run by family members ( jim Costello and his Brother in Law MAC ) they were not run with the same guide lines or as a feder corps. They pretty much were totally seperate. Everying about Cadets 2 will come from Cadets including philosophy

Edited by GUARDLING

The Boston Senior Corps.... or the Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston..... never competed in DCA. They were/are an alumni corps exhibition unit and are not, and have not been, a member of the DCA organization.

Various alumni corps (including Boston) perform in exhibition at various DCA shows.... including the Alumni Spectacular show on championmship weekend.... but the alumni corps are not an official part of the DCA organization. DCA does not have an "alumni-corps division."

I never said that the Boston Crusaders Sr Corps competed in DCA. I specifically said in a response to bawker poster's question above on this thread that asked us ( quote )... " have we had a group run 2 simultaneous groups in both circuits ? "....I responded that the Boston Crusaders are such a group that has a Corps PERFORM each year in both DCA and DCI. I even went on to acknowledge that if the Cadets2 compete in DCA that there will be 2 corps COMPETING in DCA and DCI simultaneously. I'm not going to split hairs with you on whether or not all the Alumni- Sr. Corps and Mini Corps, are paid members of DCA. Technically, I suppose that would be correct. Suffice to say however that these exhibition groups have been an integral part of DCA for decades now, and these Corps are also an integral part every year of the DCA Championship weekend, and DCA publicizes, markets, and provides the stadium, facilities, booths, for them... all under the banner of " DCA". Even the tickets to the Corps performances have " DCA " written on them. For all intents and purposes, these units are as" DCA " as it comes... and I believe that most fans of DCA would consider them as DCA performance Corps as well, while recognizing still that they are non competitive by choice, and are not afiliated with the DCA Field Competitive division of DCA.

Edited by BRASSO

. . .because a World Class corps is starting the venture, and it's more or less a "cadet" offshoot of one of the World Class corps. If the Madison Scouts started a DCA corps that was under the auspices of World Class corps, they'd get a thread here too. World Class discussion can also include DCA if there's some sort of crossover circuit-wise, which there is here.

There's a separate thread in the DCA forum that covers the DCA competitive aspect of it.

Did you say The MADISON SCOUTS- never heard of them. :thumbup:

I do have to say after reading both threads that WOW there sure are alot of people coming out of the woodwork right now. Rookies everywhere. I may just have to retract my post in the DCA thread, ya right! DCI WORLD CLASS Drum and Bugle Corps RULES! Always has, always will.

Sounds like Reading might have some strong competition in a couple years. You know YEA is going to come out with a killer staff. This is going to be very interesting for DCA.

If Cadets2 works out, I wonder if some other corps would do the same thing and get back to promoting cheap local drum corps on the smaller circuit. If the other big boys were to jump on this and provide a whole new dimension to DCA competition, this could change a lot of things. Nothing new, just the Cadets innovating some more.

Sounds like Reading might have some strong competition in a couple years. You know YEA is going to come out with a killer staff. This is going to be very interesting for DCA.

If Cadets2 works out, I wonder if some other corps would do the same thing and get back to promoting cheap local drum corps on the smaller circuit. If the other big boys were to jump on this and provide a whole new dimension to DCA competition, this could change a lot of things. Nothing new, just the Cadets innovating some more.

a " what if " scenario ( ok, I agree, it requires a degree of imagination, mixed in with a healthy dose of cynicism ) :

After this year, The DCI Cadets Director, finding the TOC format something he believes he can do outside the DCI organization, takes his DCI Cadets1 Corps out of DCI and a few other top DCI Corps join him in a foray of G-3 or G-8 Corps on their own with their own tours where they are free to do whatever they want to do and without requiring the voting support of the other DCI members. In such a scenario, DCI would find it hard to survive. Likewise, DCA would find it hard to survive as well as significant numbers of their performers that are young hope to someday march in a DCI Corps. In such a scenario, DCI and DCA both are forced to merge in order to simply survive. The Cadets2 Corps would then be already positioned in the merged environment. If the Cadets1 musical unit works well in their foray, fine. If it does not and they fail, Cadets2 still remains as a fall back plan and a Corps that is up and running in the new environment.

The Cadets organization plan of expansion did not include DCI. This much is clear, anyway. They are not putting another feeder Corps ala SCV and BD into DCI Open Class. Instead they chose to expand into DCA with a competing Corps there. I suppose one could say that this makes sense from purely a financial stance. The first rule of investment is diversification. You never put all your eggs in one basket. Now that Mr. Hopkinns has been removed from his decision making position on the DCI Executive Board, this move into DCA allows him and his Corps to withstand better any financial risks should he and others decide they can no longer live within the mission and future plans of DCI.

Just a thought. Maybe nothing to it at all. But something to think about anyway. But it does beg the question as to why George did not decide to expand into DCI.... but decided instead to move into a circuit ( DCA ) that he presumably has fewer experiences and fewer personal relationships with. DCI has historically been much more supportive of his ideas on where to take the Drum Corps activity. DCA is historically a more tradition based Circuit where one does not automatically get a warm reception to ( for just one example ) the proposal for the optional use of woodwinds by Corps in competition. I'd assume that the intelligent GH has considered this too, but has still decided that he wants a competing Corps in DCA nonetheless. It's a curious and totally unexpected development, if nothing else, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not going to split hairs with you on whether or not all the Alumni- Sr. Corps and Mini Corps, are paid members of DCA. Technically, I suppose that would be correct.

Nothing technical about it. That IS correct.

No alumni corps or mini-corps is a member of DCA. There is no DCA alumni-corps or mini-corps division.

Those corps do perform/have performed at many DCA shows through the years, absolutely... and they are a great addition to any show, hands down. And yes, I do get your point about those corps being "considered" to be DCA corps. Even though they're not. :tongue:

Geez, Brasso.... don't get your shorts all in a knot here. :lol:

According to the Q&A from Hop from yesterday, the "secondary" uniforms that half the corps is wearing this year as part of the "Angels" show is going to be the basis for the Cadets2 uni.

Does this mean Cadets2 will be fondly known as the Demons? :blink: JK! :shutup: