Cadets2

After a bit, I get Cadets2 now. I get why DCA vs. DCI (though I still don't get DCA in general).

This move really is quite unique to them, can't think of another corps this would even be a reasonable option for. At the same time, I don't really see Cadets and C2 having the same base of kids auditioning or a lot of kids cut from Cadets going to C2.

Why is that? It used to be a struggle to get some kids that were set on Cadets, who had blocked their summer out and had planned financially, to go to another performing group within organization that did a full tour and was in the top 10. Getting those same kids to go to a weekend corps... in a different circuit, not feeling it.

This is a great way to create a new group that would be easy to fill, given strong regional ties with USSBA, for a very low cost of entry (could likely have $0 of impact after the first year or so... so, why not?). Some of these kids might eventually go on to the Cadets... but, if not even one ever did, it seems to make sense.

Some here mentioning this move as a trial ballon for Cadets moving from DCI to DCA... it seems that people seem to forget that DCA is a regional circuit with exception of a handful of corps very, very far away from the rest. DCA is not really a national circuit, and is pretty much for say the Fresno Philharmonic to DCI's New York, Chicago, Cleveland and Los Angeles.

• Like 1

:

Geez, Brasso.... don't get your shorts all in a knot here. :lol:

No knot.

The difference there is that although both groups were out of the same Legion post as well as run by family members ( jim Costello and his Brother in Law MAC ) they were not run with the same guide lines or as a feder corps. They pretty much were totally seperate. Everying about Cadets 2 will come from Cadets including philosophy

Good clarification, imo.

Weekend drum corps.... I love it! I remember BITD when corps members had to arrange a break from their summer jobs for the tour.... but most had summer jobs (or summer school). I know a lot of kids who can't afford to give a whole summer to corps or who have to leave after a summer or two... and many of them would DEFINITELY benefit from all that drum corps teaches. Good for the Cadets for trying this, and for acknowledging that DCI is not the best platform for a corps with limited rehearsal (and travel) time. (not a dig at DCI, nor any suggestion that George is "feeling out" competitive alternatives for his big corps... just a sense of excitement at the opportunity for kids to march while still having time to work or do summer school).

• Like 1

No knot.

I know... I was just bustin'.

I do agree with your point that the alumni corps and mini-corps are certainly, in people's minds, much more associated with DCA than DCI, even though there's no formal tie-in. Maybe some day there will be a formal affiliation... I don't know.

(though I still don't get DCA in general).

And in other obvious news: The sun will rise and set tomorrow. :tongue:

Honestly, I think that this idea has much potential. For those who may want the Cadets experience, but can not afford the price tag, this is a great option. I hope more corps will do this.

• Like 1

The Cadets organization plan of expansion did not include DCI. This much is clear, anyway. They are not putting another feeder Corps ala SCV and BD into DCI Open Class. Instead they chose to expand into DCA with a competing Corps there. I suppose one could say that this makes sense from purely a financial stance. The first rule of investment is diversification. You never put all your eggs in one basket. Now that Mr. Hopkinns has been removed from his decision making position on the DCI Executive Board, this move into DCA allows him and his Corps to withstand better any financial risks should he and others decide they can no longer live within the mission and future plans of DCI.

From their home base in Eastern PA, and with the stated goal of being a weekend only corps, ONLY DCA makes sense to give the members a full competitive season. IMO it is as simple as that...there are not enough Open class shows in the area, while there is a full season of DCA shows in the Northeast.

After a bit, I get Cadets2 now. I get why DCA vs. DCI (though I still don't get DCA in general).

This move really is quite unique to them, can't think of another corps this would even be a reasonable option for. At the same time, I don't really see Cadets and C2 having the same base of kids auditioning or a lot of kids cut from Cadets going to C2.

Why is that? It used to be a struggle to get some kids that were set on Cadets, who had blocked their summer out and had planned financially, to go to another performing group within organization that did a full tour and was in the top 10. Getting those same kids to go to a weekend corps... in a different circuit, not feeling it.

Esp given the stated weekend-only status of C2. Only members who live close enough to Allentown to commute to rehearsals form their homes would be viable members. Hardly the model of those who audition for the Cadets from all over the country.

• Like 1

From their home base in Eastern PA, and with the stated goal of being a weekend only corps, ONLY DCA makes sense to give the members a full competitive season. IMO it is as simple as that...there are not enough Open class shows in the area, while there is a full season of DCA shows in the Northeast.

From the standpoint of their public pronouncement that they wanted Cadets2 to be a "weekend only Corps " this makes sense to then position their expansion into DCA and not DCI. Some might ask " why now " ? Couldn't the Cadets have done this expansion into DCA years ago ? What has changed to have the Cadets so enamored about starting up another Drum Corps for inclusion in DCA ? I think on the surface it's a good idea. I'm just a little curious about the timing and motivation of this, that's all. Especially given the new uncertainty on how the TOC new venture might turn out for DCI and the TOC Corps this year.

Also, the " lack of Open Class Corps and shows in the area " did not dissuade the Blue Devils and the Santa Clara Vanguard from deciding years ago to develop and support a Corps within their organization for DCI Open Class competition. These two organizations knew full well that the Open Class Championships were not likely to be on the West Coast 95% of the time, and most of the Corps they would compete against in Open Class by neccessity would take the BD and SCV Open Class Corps from within these organizations clear across country. But it did not prevent them from developing these Open Class Corps for inclusion in DCI. So the " area " angle as to why the Cadets are doing this, doesn't seem like much of a consideration as to why they are doing this. Cadets1 DCI Corps will wind up traveling more miles this summer than probably any time in their history. So " travel " issues are not generally of much consideration historically with George either. But developing a " weekend only " Corps angle ?... that'll fly as a plausable reason they can give, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO