Cadets2

Right I guess when an organization, like YEA, decides to expand drum corps in a new way in which it attracts a new set of people into DCA it will be seen as a negative by some people... I honestly can only see the good that can come out of starting a brand new DCA with the age range limited and having an affiliation with The Cadets.

Sometimes I wish I could be as optimistic as you. But it just doesn't work for me. tounge2.gif

Just to be straight. I like the idea. I hope it works. I just think it should be all-age. Or at least opened up to a larger age pool than junior corps.

Wow! This is Great! And for all those people that said George wanted to kill DCA you were clearly wrong!

I havn't read a single post on here from any poster that said that George Hopkins " wanted to kill DCA ".

Has anybody else ?

We don't bring ourselves much credibility or glory when we just make up things on here, charlie1223.

I'm calling you out on here that NOBODY on DCP has accused George Hopkins of wanting to " kill DCA ".

But if you can PROVE IT.... fine. We're all eyes and ears, charlie1223.

If you can't, then you might want to consider a retraction on your criticism of your fellow DCP'ers.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Don't know what people have against more drum corps for youth...

No one has anything against youth drum corps; however, DCA has traditionally been all-age. There's things to consider in how much drum corps the NorthEast can support, and how many 16-22 year old folks can participate, what price point to charge for a weekend-only experience, etc

I think you would agree that we wouldn't want any corps to succeed at the expense of another. That's just a possibility that's being discussed. It doesn't mean anyone has it out for the YEA! organization or youth drum corps; it's just a talking point.

Considering the organization is called YOUTH education in the arts it would fit with their mission statement to create an ALL AGE corps. Don't know what people have against more drum corps for youth...

That mission does not change. That's why they're being careful about the age restriction. They WANT the DCA corps to also be a an educational activity, where the older people would take on the role of mentor-ship, etc. I'm sure that in their perfect world, the corps would be 80% age 16-22, with lots of positive influence-type people in the other 20%. If they do it right, that could part of the audition process for the older people: "How much effort are you willing to forth to foster a positive and professional experience to the younger players?"

I see no downside to this, educationally.

I just wonder if this will be a death blow to Surf or Raiders. I wonder how many kids failed to make the grade in the Cadets and wound up in these corps. I guess it would hurt surf more than Raiders but only time will tell.

Interesting you bring that up...

But to go along with some conversations in other threads, wouldn't it be better to already have a proven organization with proven staff members who demand excellence rather than having two extremely mediocre organizations. (Not saying I agree with this last statement, just what some people might say).

Just to be straight. I like the idea. I hope it works. I just think it should be all-age. Or at least opened up to a larger age pool than junior corps.

Any time there is the potential to add another Corps to the Drum Corps competitive activity, it is a good thing.

I wish this new DCA Corps the best of success.

You gotta give it to the guy..like him or not ...he knows how to take care of his own.

Meh... Let's not forget that even though he did save the Crossmen, he almost killed them at the end. Luckily many people loved and still do love the corps, and it stuck around.

• Like 1