Cadets2

Viable? It's been viable for awhile actually. Corps are routinely being added throughout the country.

Where I actually welcome the Cadets2 in DCA, the not being all-age really is a huge turn off.

Yeah, it's a shame, because I would actually consider marching.

Also they tried a feeder corps before, the Crossmen... didn't work out too well, heh?

• Like 2

Me too.

However, my ties to the Buccaneers and my friends would make it an extremely difficult decision to ever leave.

This is awesome. I simply cannot put into words how cool this is.

Bravo YEA!

The article does mention going up to 23 or 24 possibly.

However, one wonders if things end up a little lighter membership wise towards the spring through the process of attrition, etc, if that might be raised again.

It does eat into the Surf "weekends" concept a bit . . .but I guess Surf can still sell themselves as offering a full tour. Aside from that, some corps . . .Buccaneers, for one . . .use some of the Cadets folks as well. Gino/Bocook comes to mind. Does this drain them off from Bucs/other corps now?

Right I guess when an organization, like YEA, decides to expand drum corps in a new way in which it attracts a new set of people into DCA it will be seen as a negative by some people... I honestly can only see the good that can come out of starting a brand new DCA with the age range limited and having an affiliation with The Cadets.

Curious.....Great for Cadets to have a "feeder corps" of sorts...and it's always good to see new blood in DCA...however, I worry that this might just be an opportunity to "dominate" another circuit...especially since he's limiting the age to junior corps age. Realizing alot of DCA corps have an average age of a DCI corps...they also have many more "mature" members...which realistically can limit the difficulty involved in a DCA Corps...Cadets2 would not have that limitation. I mean...even Cadets1 could call themselves "all age" and go whoop butt in DCA......Just don't think an "all age" corps should limit the age....makes me feel like they have an advantage over the "real" all age corps....I am cautiously optomistic...this could be the beginning of the DCI-ing of DCA....

I would be happier if Cadets2 were an Open Class DCI corps....or a REAL all-age corps..

Edited by G-Rott
  • Like 3

The article says they will change the age restriction, if demand arises.

This is not a new idea, especially with the age restriction. It's just SCV Cadets, BDB/D, Colt Cadets, etc. Those corps don't tour as much either.

It would be a NOVEL AND AWESOME IDEA if they were to embrace the all-age aspect out of the blocks, maybe combining it with some kind of "alumni corps" concept. You know, a "cadets all the time" approach.

Obviously, kids who get cut from Cadets1, will be encouraged to join Cadets2. Cadet ageouts who have completely swallowed the koolaid (I mean that in a good way) may come back and march with Cadets2. There might be alumni in their 30s+ who might march in other DCA corps now, but would love nothing more than to get back in with that organization's new DCA presence.

This will snowball into all-out DCA competitive corps, and I bet that's their goal all along.

The article does mention going up to 23 or 24 possibly.

However, one wonders if things end up a little lighter membership wise towards the spring through the process of attrition, etc, if that might be raised again.

It does eat into the Surf "weekends" concept a bit . . .but I guess Surf can still sell themselves as offering a full tour. Aside from that, some corps . . .Buccaneers, for one . . .use some of the Cadets folks as well. Gino/Bocook comes to mind. Does this drain them off from Bucs/other corps now?

Yeah it does eat into Surf... especially since they already don't do a "full" tour. It will kill surf when people find out how much less it will cost to do this new corps. Since Surf is more expensive than some WC corps who do an actual full tour.