18 Corps in Class A at Dca and counting

What ever happened to HEAT WAVE ? always enjoyed there show.The Velet Knights of DCA enjoyable music ,fun to watch and fun to perform .

What ever happened to HEAT WAVE ? always enjoyed there show.The Velet Knights of DCA enjoyable music ,fun to watch and fun to perform .

Heat Waves last year to field 05 I believe. Several of the members of that corps have gone on to march with Sundevils and Now Tampa Bay Thunder.

"The Govies" have a Talent, More smaller Corps need to get.

They Know the "Talent Level" of the people they have.

They Know "how to pick Music" for the "Size" Horn and Drum Line they have.

They Know how "Package it up", with a "Drill that Fits", THEIR "Size and Sound".

They know how to Please, BOTH Judges and Fans.

And they get it Right. Year after year.

So many small Corps try to play Music, and do things, that would be fine for a Larger Corps. But, it does not work with the size Horn and Drum Line no matter how well they play it. Always seems not right some how in sight and sound.

I've been saying this for a while....I remember RCR in 07 trying to play "Free" and it not coming across very well.

You CAN pick music written for a larger performance ensemble, but you have to arrange it for the size line you HAVE, not the size you HOPE to have.

Was going thur a storage container and came across a Tee shirt with the shark fin and a dophin on the front ,and a setting sun with plam trees on the back and in BIG BOLD PRINT __________HEAT____WAVE .Like i said i always enjoyed then when i got to see them at DCA .

• Like 1

Was going thur a storage container and came across a Tee shirt with the shark fin and a dophin on the front ,and a setting sun with plam trees on the back and in BIG BOLD PRINT __________HEAT____WAVE .Like i said i always enjoyed then when i got to see them at DCA .

Thank you !!

Well, Grenadiers just made an announcement to not field this year. That was a bit shocking, considering they have been so successful the past couple years. Then again, the Brigs did not field the year after a 7th place Open Class finish...

Hopefully gas prices will beging to return to normal and some of these smaller groups can get started.

I have decided that the secret to success for getting a corps going is having really close ties with a couple of schools. If you can get a few band directors on board, you can get something started... unless you go the other route and make it geared more towards people who are over 21.

Edited by BOSMarcher

I have decided that the secret to success for getting a corps going is having really close ties with a couple of schools. If you can get a few band directors on board, you can get something started... unless you go the other route and make it geared more towards people who are over 21.

Bingo! That is the only way it works today. Especially in areas that do not have a tradition of the activity. And you only build by individual relationships until you get to some size and recognition. All but one or two of our current members joined from a relationship with someone in the organization. We currently have 4 HS band directors, 2 music educator and another teacher on staff. Without them, we would not have a drum corps.

Sorry to hear about the Grenadiers there already booked in a few shows with DCA i guess that will change soon .I know as an exSunriser now living in Florida ,,the reason for my move was i could no longer afford to stay living on Long Island ,the rents where killing me there .I had a 1 bedroom apt, in a not so nice complex out east.And now im renting a 2 bedroom townhouse in Jacksonville Fl. at half the rent i was paying in New York .And so far loving the weather,left January 29,didn't think i'd be able to make the move ,one snow storm after another ,seemed like every 3 days another foot or more of snow .Had a 6 foot snowdrift out back of my apartment .But HELL or HIGH WATER i was moving .So here i am Florida SUN