The most overrated shows of the 90's

Since it's only a matter of time that this topic continues back further, I thought I would throw together the fire, so that everyone else can begin pouring lighter fluid and gasoline on it...

I would say 1993 Star

1999 SCV

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

Actually, as someone pointed out in the other thread, Star didnt get ANY love back then. I remember loving that show, Mostly because as a teenager only in his second year of knowing what drum corps was, I loved wierd stuff.

But i remember my instructors in hs only cared about the Cadets, Crossmen and Blue Devils which were all amazing, but I really dug Star and I was always dogged for thinking they should have won. lol.

Although I am a huge Cavaliers fan, I think that the 92 show was a bit too hyped. Again, a deserving champion, but I just wasnt on board as everyone else was. I actually loved Star in 92 more than 91 or 93 and even though I normally cant stand "patriotic" shows, that show made a believer out of me.

• Like 3

97 BD was meh for me. Not sure if it got a ton of hype or not back in the day.

But just meh for me.

Not placement wise, popularity-wise: Madison most years (esp 1992,95,96,99)

Placement Wise: Cavaliers 1995, Phantom 1991

Edited by Catan

Actually, as someone pointed out in the other thread, Star didnt get ANY love back then. I remember loving that show, Mostly because as a teenager only in his second year of knowing what drum corps was, I loved wierd stuff.

But i remember my instructors in hs only cared about the Cadets, Crossmen and Blue Devils which were all amazing, but I really dug Star and I was always dogged for thinking they should have won. lol.

Although I am a huge Cavaliers fan, I think that the 92 show was a bit too hyped. Again, a deserving champion, but I just wasnt on board as everyone else was. I actually loved Star in 92 more than 91 or 93 and even though I normally cant stand "patriotic" shows, that show made a believer out of me.

that may be true but now Star 93 is treated as Jesus. I think mostly it's because there is some sort of 'mysticism' to the show because it was STAR of INDIANA, the magical world champion drum corps that left DCI to form blast, and it was their LAST show they created, but I don't know. I will say it was very 'different', maybe even ground breaking. I just say it is overhyped because of the INCREDIBLE amount of hype it still gets when there are much better shows from the time. Star 91 on the other hand... :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

so weird. i remember i started lurking on things like ramd back in 97 or so, and the hatred for star 93 was tremendous.

now it's head and shoulders above anything else in the overrated category.

i don't really care because it's just silly to label shows this way, but I REALLY wish there were decent sound recordings out there of finals night.

• Like 1

92 Cavies

92 Velvet Knights

96 Madison Scouts

98 Cadets

I find it really hard to find shows to nitpick about from the 90s. It's my favorite decade of drum corps.

It's curious how in hindsight some people think Star '93 was over-rated. It certainly wasn't over-rated at the time. I remember being at the DCI-Mid America show in Bloomington and recall the response being very tepid. Polite applause at best. There was a point where a couple mallet players looked up after a feature expecting applause and there was nothing. Their disappointment was heartbreaking. I was going bonkers. It was the first and last time I ever threw a baby after a performance. Almost got reported to child services.

I love the '93 show but I believe people have jumped on the "circus" wagon years after the fact.

Does anyone else share my sentiments?

• Like 2

Hmmmmm...I wonder if that was me?