The most overrated shows of the 90's

It's curious how in hindsight some people think Star '93 was over-rated. It certainly wasn't over-rated at the time. I remember being at the DCI-Mid America show in Bloomington and recall the response being very tepid. Polite applause at best. There was a point where a couple mallet players looked up after a feature expecting applause and there was nothing. Their disappointment was heartbreaking. I was going bonkers. It was the first and last time I ever threw a baby after a performance. Almost got reported to child services.

I love the '93 show but I believe people have jumped on the "circus" wagon years after the fact.

Does anyone else share my sentiments?

It was over-rated in 93 and still is. And in 91 they may have had the best vehicle, but not at all best performance finals night (Rondo said as much on the broadcast)

The circus wagon was 87, but that was a different decade.

• Like 2

If star 93 is so overated these days, give me a list of how many shows COMPARITVELY (given rule changes and decade differences, like you would compar to lebron to jordan kinda deal) are better than star 93. I dont think it will be that long. But then again, were dealing with opinions, so MY list would not have that many ahead of that show. Yours may differ.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 1

i'd have to go with Friends

Seinfeld

Star 93

Mellos had one of the worst fracks in DCI history during the last 30 seconds. Plus their show didn't have swords in it.

...or Cadets '93. Talk about cutting all the cool parts out of the show by mid season. Plus, check out the dirty drill. It's been a while, but Cadets '92 was the better show. Cadets '93 was performed better musically ( especially mellos).

Also, BD '94. That was the beginning of the "chop 'n Bop" arranging style. I know most everyone loves it, but I just didn't dig it compared to every BD show that came before it. I guess I was expecting something arranged more like '86 but that show just left me flat. Oh well. I loved every BD show up to '92 & '95.

Edited by jjeffeory

It was over-rated in 93 and still is. And in 91 they may have had the best vehicle, but not at all best performance finals night (Rondo said as much on the broadcast)

The circus wagon was 87, but that was a different decade.

I'll try to rein in my quirky sense of humor in the future. Sorry you took my play on words on to mean I thought the circus wagons were '87.

By over-rated do you actually mean over scored because I certainly don't recall people hyping the '93 show.

I agree with you about '91. Amazing.

no argument from me on that one, either.

Oh, and all time worst show, spanning TWO decades.... "Saved by the Bell". If one can HATE a show, I HATED that show! shutup.gif

I'd like to add VK '92 to the list.

VK '87-'90 were all much better shows... '87 was my personal favorite and probably the best performed... '92 was good, but not worthy of the "classic countdown" a few years back...

Personally, I like VK 92 more than 87 or 88. I like 'em zany, and this show delivered. Was it cleaner or better than 87 or 88? Probably not, but it entertained me, and that's what counts in my book.

Overrated? Honestly, I haven't seen too many 90's shows outside of 92, so I can't comment on that.