Most Overrated Drum Corps Shows of the 1860s

Actually, the topic 1860's should remind us all of where it all got started. Read the history of Taps at the following page:

http://tapsbugler.co...ous-bugle-call/

great stuff. civil war music is one of the main focuses for my grad work in history...hence this thread, really.

this particular story about the origin of taps is open to a lot of debate, but it's definitely my favorite, and by far the most romantic.

The most overrated corps of the 1860s was STILL the Blue Devils.

(/obligatory)

so thats why those uniforms in 88. got it

Just anther dinosaur that can’t keep up with the times and understand true art even when it’s right in front of them.

Down with the dinos -- sic semper tyrannosaurus!

Yes, "Scalping" and "marching" are both European traditions carried over to the new world. (see BRITISH SCALP PROCLAMATION: 1756). Frederick the Great is credited with re-introducing cadenced marching into European warfare in the mid 18th century. So it's a natural fit for scalping during the progressive shows of the 1860s, but you could say that all of these corps had shows that were decades ahead of their time as far as cadenced marching goes...

True. Since you brought up the " Brittish Proclamation of 1756 ", it should be noted that a few years later the hoi poli farmers and merchant citizen- soldiers of Massachusetts appreciated the fact that the Brittish Empire's King's Army marched with proper cadence, in straight lines, with proper precision all the way from the Concord Bridge, through Lexington, Arlington, on to Bunker Hill, then on to Boston. The first successful use of the " sniper " on American soil by non Indians took place along the route. By the time the precise marching band of Brits got to Boston, ( at the time the King's Army was recognized as best fighting Army in the world ) the King's Army had half the numbers they started out with. The Brittish were not prepared for this " new " brand of warfare that actually was an " old " form of warfare taught to the Colonists by the Sachem Indian tribes that inhabited the Massachusetts region for over a 100 years.

Edited by BRASSO

...and now you know!

...and now you know!

....the rest of the story!

Edited by BRASSO

What were the cadets called back then?

" Sir " ( they were Officers that graduated West Point ).

Edited by BRASSO

The Yankee Rebels D&BC had repetitive killer shows with a Civil War theme in the 61, 62, 63, 64 and 65 seasons........

great stuff. civil war music is one of the main focuses for my grad work in history...hence this thread, really.

this particular story about the origin of taps is open to a lot of debate, but it's definitely my favorite, and by far the most romantic.

Lance has submitted A-Level research in referencing my Buglers Hall of Fame brother Jari Villanueva, the world's foremost authority on US military bugle calls. In a couple of weeks a group of us will be attending his National Civil War Field Music School in Petersburg, VA.

I'm not sure who qualifies as the most overrated corps of the 1860s, but I would suggest that the bugler from G Company of the 20th Maine is the undisputed I&E champ. It was he who played "Fix Bayonets" and the infantry "Charge" that drove the Rebs from Little Roundtop and changed the outcome of Gettysburg and, quite arguably, the rest of the war. His Bb clairon had none of those new-fangled valves, neither.