Hatred in drum corps

Every once in a while someone will claim that someone else "hates" their corps. Sometimes people claim to hate a certain director of a corps. Sometimes people say they hate a certain show.

Hatred is such a strong emotion. And while there have been shows that haven't excited me, there has never been a show that I actually hated. And while I might disagree with other people's opinions, I have never hated anyone for expressing their opinion, or trying to change the activity in a direction that I would prefer it doesn't go.

One thing that I have always loved about drum corps is at most shows, 95% of the people will give a standing ovation to almost every corps, even if they are affiliated with another corps. The sportsmanship seems to be very strong a good percentage of the time.

So just curious, do you actually see hatred much in drum corps, or do you think it is just a strong disliking that has been misinterpreted as hatred? I know many people are passionate about drum corps, and sometimes emotions escalate in some discussions on these boards.

Like the vast majority of bile on DCP, when people throw around the word "hate" or "hatred" it is typically just rhetoric, and as you say code for "I really don't like."

We all have our favorites, those of us who marched have our rivals, but I wouldn't use the word "hate" for the majority of members or staff.

I didn't say anyone claimed there was no hatred in drum corps. I certainly didn't mean to imply that.

HH

I interpreted you comment above.. ( quote) " the notion that there is no hatred in Drum Corps is wishful thinking " ( unquote ) as your belief that some people... presumably on DCP..or somewhere.... believe that " there is no hatred in Drum Corps". I thought that would be a reasonable interpretation of your remarks above. If you didn't mean to imply this, then what is it that you are implying, as right now I'm confused with what you're saying here. From my perspective, all large competitive activities... Drum Corps being one of them.... have their " haters ". The sheer numbers of participants and its fans would make it so, imo. But like I said above, I think the numbers of " haters " in the Drum Corps activity is a very, very small percentage, and even smaller still when compared with most competitive sports percentages of " haters " within their sports.

Edited by BRASSO

And at the same time I have a feeling that if Cadets weren't using so much narration in that show and were doing WestSide Story instead.....much of the hash mark thing would have been over looked.

Of course they wouldn't have - you're right. The booing at the 07 Q's was the result of a years-long buildup between the Cadets administration and the fans. The hashes really didn't have really much to do with it - it was just the trigger.

Of course, the thing about booing the corps is... well... you're booing the corps. Hard to pick out which boos are directed at which corps staff, administrator or member, you know?

Mike

I interpreted you comment above.. ( quote) " the notion that there is no hatred in Drum Corps is wishful thinking " ( unquote ) as your belief that some people... presumably on DCP..or somewhere.... believe that " there is no hatred in Drum Corps". I thought that would be a reasonable interpretation of your remarks above. If you didn't mean to imply this, then what is it that you are implying, as right now I'm confused with what you're saying here. From my perspective, all large competitive activities... Drum Corps being one of them.... have their " haters ". The sheer numbers of participants and its fans would make it so, imo. But like I said above, I think the numbers of " haters " in the Drum Corps activity is a very, very small percentage, and even smaller still when compared with most competitive sports percentages of " haters " within their sports.

The notion that there is no hatred in Drum Corps is wishful thinking" means that there IS hated in drum corps and those who think there isn't are thinking very optimistically. Reading comprehension ftw!

See, the "notion" is an idea. He's referring to the idea that there is "no hatred" in drum corps. Is this really complicated?

Of course they wouldn't have - you're right. The booing at the 07 Q's was the result of a years-long buildup between the Cadets administration and the fans. The hashes really didn't have really much to do with it - it was just the trigger.

Of course, the thing about booing the corps is... well... you're booing the corps. Hard to pick out which boos are directed at which corps staff, administrator or member, you know?

Mike

Now, with Facebook being so popular, we should be able to voice some objections directly to the staff. I'm sure any 'negative' posting would be quickly removed, but someone would have read it .... and MAYBE got the hint?

Booing a corps as they leave the field is so unfair unless the show was a complete piece of cr*p!

The directors/managers/caption heads will be so busy talking about the show, they wont hear the crowd.

....but the kids will, and most of the time its not their fault and/or they hate it as much as the crowd does.

I swear, there is so much ironic bull____ going on in this thread that it's a shame. You have some people talking about why some corps deserve some of the negativity they've deserve, but many of those corps consistently put out shows that keep them in finals, regardless of how entertaining they are. Now how many people actually "hate" or dislike corps that don't get into finals; so much that they sit on their hands and don't give them the applause they deserve for performing the show they were given?

In my opinion, many of the comments on this thread are ONLY directed at some of the corps in the top 6, 7 or 8. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me on this site.

• Like 1

Here's my take on this.

There's hatred in any art form. People prefer one style over another. It exists everywhere.....and I think it's stupid.

Just like what you like. No reason you have to like everything. But it doesn't mean you should be hating on other people for liking something. We all get very similar things out of our enjoyment of this activity. Let's respect that.

I "hated" every corps that ever stepped on the field other than my own. In Drum Corps it's just another word for "frustration". :tongue:

• Like 1