Hatred in drum corps

Every once in a while someone will claim that someone else "hates" their corps. Sometimes people claim to hate a certain director of a corps. Sometimes people say they hate a certain show.

Hatred is such a strong emotion. And while there have been shows that haven't excited me, there has never been a show that I actually hated. And while I might disagree with other people's opinions, I have never hated anyone for expressing their opinion, or trying to change the activity in a direction that I would prefer it doesn't go.

One thing that I have always loved about drum corps is at most shows, 95% of the people will give a standing ovation to almost every corps, even if they are affiliated with another corps. The sportsmanship seems to be very strong a good percentage of the time.

So just curious, do you actually see hatred much in drum corps, or do you think it is just a strong disliking that has been misinterpreted as hatred? I know many people are passionate about drum corps, and sometimes emotions escalate in some discussions on these boards.

at shows, i've yet to see much negativity at all, thank goodness.

on here, hate is rampant. yes, there are some people who get the label of "hater" who don't deserve it.

stick to conversing with nice, decent people on here (the overwhelming majority), and things go great.

One of my close friends who introduced me to DCI is a PR vet. One of the top things he would talk about is how bad he always wanted to beat BD and how much he hated them. And then when he did in 08, he totally forgot that he was even upset about that and was too overjoyed that he won a title!

I wouldn't call it hatred, but rather an extremely competitive spirit.

Every once in a while someone will claim that someone else "hates" their corps. Sometimes people claim to hate a certain director of a corps. Sometimes people say they hate a certain show.

Hatred is such a strong emotion. And while there have been shows that haven't excited me, there has never been a show that I actually hated. And while I might disagree with other people's opinions, I have never hated anyone for expressing their opinion, or trying to change the activity in a direction that I would prefer it doesn't go.

One thing that I have always loved about drum corps is at most shows, 95% of the people will give a standing ovation to almost every corps, even if they are affiliated with another corps. The sportsmanship seems to be very strong a good percentage of the time.

So just curious, do you actually see hatred much in drum corps, or do you think it is just a strong disliking that has been misinterpreted as hatred? I know many people are passionate about drum corps, and sometimes emotions escalate in some discussions on these boards.

BITD, there could be quite a bit of hate between certain corps (including their supporters/fans); Cavies-'chachos and Phantom-Bridgemen come to mind.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

at shows, i've yet to see much negativity at all, thank goodness.

on here, hate is rampant. yes, there are some people who get the label of "hater" who don't deserve it.

stick to conversing with nice, decent people on here (the overwhelming majority), and things go great.

I think most of the people on here are great. And with 23 different corps everyone is going to have a different favorite show and different opinion. And I think the most negativity I saw live was probably with Star Of Indiana , several of the years when they were starting to peak. I think alot of that stemmed from jealousy, but was still kind of put off by it. I was very saddened when these young kids were booed at shows. I would have to guess that was more hatred than just a strong dislike.

I also remember reading on the boards a few years ago that one of the directors actually received threatening phone calls. I found that very disturbing.

And now with the g8 stuff, alot of people are claiming to hate that group of corps. I don't agree with some of the decisions being made, but still wouldn't even consider hate as an emotion anywhere near my surface.

It just surprises me that someone could hate a corps just on the basis of their name. I just don't understand how you could hate a group of 150 kids that you don't know, haven't met, and know nothing about other than the color of their uniform. I have worked with several different corps over the years, and the kids in each corps are almost exactly the same. You have young men and women doing what they love to do, and working their tails off to perform the best show they can to entertain the crowds and judges. And you could be involved with 3 different corps in 3 consecutive years, and have almost the exact same groups of personalities each year.

I hate a very select few corps. I won't apologize for it so save your breath.

As far as giving every single corps a standing ovation, no way. It's for the birds. It's like tipping for poor service. This isn't little league. Not everybody wins and gets a trophy and an ice cream cone. It's a competitive activity participated in by kids who know exactly what they are getting in to. If a corps wants me to stand and clap, they better bring it. They better look at me and say "I dare you to sit. I dare you."

• Like 9

As far as giving every single corps a standing ovation, no way. It's for the birds. It's like tipping for poor service. This isn't little league. Not everybody wins and gets a trophy and an ice cream cone. It's a competitive activity participated in by kids who know exactly what they are getting in to. If a corps wants me to stand and clap, they better bring it. They better look at me and say "I dare you to sit. I dare you."

:worthy:

I'd just like to point out that disliking a product because it lacks melody, emotion, and personal connection does not constitute "hating." There seem to be some who confuse "hating" with "disliking a product for multiple years in a row." When that product doesn't change a great deal, then the individuals who express an opinion consistent with the design of the shows over time are labeled "haters." I'm looking directly at someone in this thread... :ph34r:

I don't think anyone truly "hates" kids who are busting their butts to do drum corps. People are critical of show designs or public personalities all the time but I don't think anyone is critical of the kids. If you are, you haven't marched.

• Like 3

Regardless of how I feel about a corps, I will always clap and stand up for them, because the members are putting in just as much work as everybody else. Even if I don't like a show, I will clap and stand because the kids didn't choose to march that show and it's not their fault. Everybody deserves the applause. That's why we do the activity.

• Like 3

Regardless of how I feel about a corps, I will always clap and stand up for them, because the members are putting in just as much work as everybody else. Even if I don't like a show, I will clap and stand because the kids didn't choose to march that show and it's not their fault. Everybody deserves the applause. That's why we do the activity.

This. The performers have 0 control over what they perform. The view expressed earlier that corps should "earn" their applause is flawed because in that case, you're applauding the adult designers. If the kids perform the heck out of what they are given, the KIDS deserve the applause. Unfortunately, that may be conflated with designers who think the audience is buying into their product.

If you aren't applauding - at the very, very least - the efforts of the marchers out there, you aren't doing it right.

• Like 2