Pushing the Envelope

Ya know, one over looked corps here, IMO, is the Cabs. Yeah most say " oh yeah, #### #### #### same old #### #### ####" but let's be honest. A finalist since 66, all those trophies and other top finishes. They didn't do that by just repeating everything all the tine.

this thread was for pushing the envelope

Cabs invented the envelope

this thread was for pushing the envelope

Cabs invented the envelope

they've pushed it too. They haven't been content to just be the invetor

In the interest of continuing to create topics to discuss, I was curious which corps everyeon thought has been the most ground breaking as far as pushing the activity "forward" is concerned? Obviously, there is can be a strong claim for the Bucs, as they have won the title the past 6 years. It can be said that they have certainly pushed the activity forward in the direction of higher achievment, and in my opinion, have helped to bridge the gap between junior corps and senior/all-age corps. There are also up and comers and new faces that have pushed the activity forward, as well.

There are certainly groups, past and present, that can be used as examples as to who has made the most impact on the DCA activity. Thoughts?

My own choices would be the Sunrisers of the mid/late 70's, Bushwackers of the late 80'sw/early 90's and now the Bucs.

Cabs definately pushed the envelope in 2003 and probably pushed it too far for thier own good in 2004

I'd agree

In the interest of continuing to create topics to discuss, I was curious which corps everyeon thought has been the most ground breaking as far as pushing the activity "forward" is concerned? Obviously, there is can be a strong claim for the Bucs, as they have won the title the past 6 years. It can be said that they have certainly pushed the activity forward in the direction of higher achievment, and in my opinion, have helped to bridge the gap between junior corps and senior/all-age corps. There are also up and comers and new faces that have pushed the activity forward, as well.

There are certainly groups, past and present, that can be used as examples as to who has made the most impact on the DCA activity. Thoughts?

... nevermind

Edited by drumlaw80

"Pushing the envelope" refers to testing the limits in flight, that is to see how far the pilot can push an aircraft without crashing and burning. It is an inheirently risky business.

In drum corps, it serves the same purpose, that being to continue to push the activity to the limit without crashing and burining with the audience. Otherwise, drum corps becomes a stagnant activity, not unlike the re-enacting of wars.

The key is "without crashing and burning" of course.

IMO, Sunrisers, Bushwackers, Brigadiers, Buccaneers have all achieved this over the last 30 years or so. I wasn't around too much before those "eras", so I'm sure others fit the bill back in the 70's and before.

Other corps have been the standard bearer rather than the envelope pushers. The Caballeros obviously come to mind as the prime example. There is nothing wrong with this distinction. In fact, I think drum corps needs a good balance of envelope pushers and standard bearers to keep things interesting for the long haul.

You bring up a good point here, Jeff. "Pushing the envelope" is all well and good, but if it don't entertain the paying customer, then what's the point. If a corps' program becomes so esoteric that it appeals only to judges and othr instructors, then why bother? They aren't paying to fill the seats.

Probably a poor analogy, but the Bell X-1 was "pushing the envelope," but I sure wouldn't want to fly from Chicago to Honolulu in one.

"Pushing the envelope" refers to testing the limits in flight, that is to see how far the pilot can push an aircraft without crashing and burning. It is an inheirently risky business.

In drum corps, it serves the same purpose, that being to continue to push the activity to the limit without crashing and burining with the audience. Otherwise, drum corps becomes a stagnant activity, not unlike the re-enacting of wars.

The key is "without crashing and burning" of course.

IMO, Sunrisers, Bushwackers, Brigadiers, Buccaneers have all achieved this over the last 30 years or so. I wasn't around too much before those "eras", so I'm sure others fit the bill back in the 70's and before.

Other corps have been the standard bearer rather than the envelope pushers. The Caballeros obviously come to mind as the prime example. There is nothing wrong with this distinction. In fact, I think drum corps needs a good balance of envelope pushers and standard bearers to keep things interesting for the long haul.

That is a VERY interesting way to put it. You have probably said it the best. By that definition, I would probably agree with you... but then the question is, if we are doing shows that have been done before (Bucs 2010), is that "pushing the envelope," or just another example of a standard bearer? The Bucs show last year was very entertaining to me and was executed at an extremely high level, but for discussion sake, do they fit your definition. They certainly are trying to push the limits from a design standpoint, but are they from a programing standpoint?

Just because the music may have been played elsewhere doesn't mean it can't push the envelope