Scores for the first two shows

And face the wrath of Dan Acheson?!?

LOLZ. REALLY? tongue.gif

lol. He looks intimidating; doesn't he?

Not really, but looks CAN be deceiving! tongue.gif

Geez Louise, I'm afraid to ask what that yellow thingy is doing to hairy Harry here. It could be a couple of things. ( but don't tell me, ok ?.. its cool, I don't need to know ya know ? )

The yellow thingy has a name. Its Hand Banana.

And its doing exactly what you think\fear its doing. ph34r.gif

Edited by AlexL

I've got no problem with a "fan voting" event, so long as the award structure for the placing corps takes that into account. That is, will the first place corps earn the same as second place, and so on? Or will it be like a typical show that would be decided by DCI judges?

Or should we be saying "fans are the ultimate judge"? Maybe it's true this year...

Given that one of the selling points for the theatre event on Monday was the weekend score announcement I think DCI will be keeping the scores very close to their collective chests until then.

The only way to ensure the results are kept out of the public domain is to tell nobody.

Just what *are* they going tell the audience and the corps? "Thanks for coming -- now go home!" ???

Will they announce placements without scores?

Will the corps get any feedback at all?

It all seems a little....bizarre...

I think the best way to look at the various nuances associated with the TOC (or TOC type) shows this year is...they (DCI & the "players") are experimenting to see what fits, what works, what adds, what deminishes and most importantly what gets butts in the seats. Most good product re-definition is preceded by "valid" test marketing. The "interaction" components of this (i.e. the audience scoring, MM contact, side shows, etc) are all part of this testing of the market. For newer fans this will seem normal, for the old timers it could seem sacrilegious, but my guess is that "most" of the nuances will be widely accepted and set the stage for many of the original changes set in motion by the G7. The effort is to get the corps closer to the audience, almost an immersion experience.

In answer to your question: The delay of the scores is simply a means of insuring "an audience" on Monday night in the theaters and supports the notion that "voting someone off the island" or "firing someone", or telling them to "go get yours knives and leave" is (perhaps sadly) ensconced in our culture for the unforseeable future. In short, placement continues to be a serious draw and, IMO, will drive butts in the seats on Monday.

P.S. I also think the reverse order thing on different nights is another experiment and I'm very interested in how the audience shows up on Sunday.

Edited by Plan9

I can see how this might be a little frustrating for the corps who have to wait, but would knowing the scores change how they spend their time over Sunday and Monday? Not at this point in the season. I'm assuming they'll get the judges' tapes, which are what actually contain useful information.

I've always been down on the G8 idea, but I think opening the season with back-to-back top eight faceoffs followed up by a theatre broadcast with the whole withholding of the scores thing is actually a really good way to open the season. Get the fans involved early, give everyone a chance to see the shows right away, and yes the suspense of the first scores of the season will in fact get a lot of butts in seats, including mine.