wildwood

I agree. This thread has gotten off topic. But hey- this IS a forum and as such is open to conversations that steer in all kinds of directions.

What I'm loving about this is I'm sure the Cabs are reading this in detail and I can't wait to see how much fire they have in Bridgeport. When this corps is on a mission- they put out the most entertaining shows in DCA in my opinion.

It's the Latin music that keeps me from being able to be out and about on a regular basis with my jacket on without being stopped by some random person on the street somewhere to ask a question about it.... including my own church, from my own priest... go figure... Everyone knows Cabs (not saying that they don't know other corps), but man, I feel #### proud when someone asks me when I marched... it's even gotten me out of a speeding ticket or two.... :blink:

Maybe it's that I grew up with it... but I also agree that if you can do it well, continue to do it. If you consistently worked with scripting language you knew inside and out like HTML and had a HUGE project do, would you suddenly decide to write in JAVA instead, just because you know it kind of? In other words, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Anyone can play anything... but not everyone can do everything well... It's the same way that Brigs were always playing jazz, Empire plays show tunes, Bucs stick with a lot of classical pieces.. it's what they do best. We happen to do Latin best... I seem to remember another corps one year attempting not only to play Latin, but to even do a pinwheel in their show (who remembers who and when?)... Didn't go so well for them...DCI corps do it, why should it be different for DCA? And besides... no one gets tired of the Alumni playing Latin... why should it be different for the field corps?

No, it's honestly not enjoyable to be consistently in 5th place. I'm not going to lie on that point, especially being with the corps from the get go with an undefeated season and through 2 titles.... HOWEVER ($1 to Eric Robertshaw) I don't think, and never HAVE thought, that the numbers and the placements are the important thing. I don't care if I go out there and score a 50.... if I did the best #### show I could, then that's what matters. Maybe that's why I enjoy being with the Alumni at this point... there's no numbers, only the quality of performance and enjoyment of the crowd to consider... I can't speak for anyone else on this matters, but that's just my train of thought.

However, competition, regardless of what "sport" the competition is, wouldn't be so if there weren't people out there that were going to gripe about something. So... gripe away! I need to go find a drink and some popcorn....

By the way... how about them Sunrisers? :winky:

• Like 1

I've read just about all of the posts in this thread and I'm a bit bothered by a couple of things. It bothers me, for example, when posters go "all the way back" to 2000 or 2002 for a historical reference. Let's look at a real historical reference...

I'm looking at the finals scores for the 1947 American Legion Nationals in New York. There were twelve corps in the finals. Only one of them still exists - Hawthorne.

Since then, Hawthorne has won 16 American Legion National Championships (back when the A.L. Nats really meant something).

And by the way... This is the sixty-fifth CONSECUTIVE year of competition for Hawthorne. Call me when any other corps reaches that pinnacle.

So we come a little forward in time, to the DCA years.... Hawthorne has won DCA nine times. And, in a thread that was here on DCP back in October or so, Hawthorne has the highest average finals placement of any corps in DCA.

And Hawthorne's only had five undefeated seasons (with kudos to the Buccaneers).

So yeah, all that "rumps stuff" is boring... That "Spanish crap" is so very limiting... Those same old uniforms for almost sixty-five years are so outdated.... And they shouldn't play Malaguena or Spanish Fantasy ever again... Just watch out when the scores are announced; Hawthorne's name will be up there at or near the top.

THAT'S HISTORY, my friend. Just so you know, drum corps didn't start in 2000, or even in 1990, or even in 1980.

There, I've vented.

• Like 1

I don't think Cabs are in a rut. They are a top 5 finalist every year. Nothing to be ashamed of.

If they expect to position themselves for a championship they are going to have to clean things up from a visual standpoint.

Generally speaking I like the Cabs hornline book over most of the corps in DCA. Latin Grooves are so much easier to hum and tap your feet too than some of the abstract artsy stuff some of the other corps play year end and year out.

I still think ack to 97. Smaller than usual hornline, very small drumline....look how close they were to winning it all! And that was IMO, one of the best 4 man snarelines in DCA history

ok...let's get real here....lol.......having had the complete pleasure to have worked with staff of the Cabs over the years as well as a very close relationship with management this is something many people have struggled with INSIDE this group also. The history is vast,increditable, storied,BUT staff and management over the years HAVe discussed, music ( at time) but for sure the look of the corps and how, Milk white satin shirts, bell bottoms and somberos didn't help. It Has come up several times over the years with staff about the dated look as well with potential members. Valid or not it's been there. does this have anything to do with their 1st show? I wouldnt think so, being prepared or not I'm sure did.

Will Cabs survive and thrive, Yes I'm sure of it, however todays management and staff choose to go into the future.

Good Luck Cabs

So yeah, all that "rumps stuff" is boring... That "Spanish crap" is so very limiting... Those same old uniforms for almost sixty-five years are so outdated.... And they shouldn't play Malaguena or Spanish Fantasy ever again... Just watch out when the scores are announced; Hawthorne's name will be up there at or near the top.

The things is, it's no so much that the "rumps" are boring, because they're not. And Spanish flavored music in not limiting, unless of course you play the same Spanish music. And the uniforms are classic, not outdated. The issue is more about relevance, and how what the Cabs are currently presenting compares to the modern pardigm of the activity.

Here is something else I am completely baffled at...

Out of all the posters on this thread, maybe 4 or 5 of you were actually IN Wildwood for the show. For those of you who were there, THANK YOU!!! :worthy:

The rest of you HAVEN'T seen us yet. Don't judge us UNTIL you have seen us. For pete's sake, IT WAS THE FIRST SHOW OF THE SEASON! :doh:

• Like 3

I've read just about all of the posts in this thread and I'm a bit bothered by a couple of things. It bothers me, for example, when posters go "all the way back" to 2000 or 2002 for a historical reference. Let's look at a real historical reference...

I'm looking at the finals scores for the 1947 American Legion Nationals in New York. There were twelve corps in the finals. Only one of them still exists - Hawthorne.

Since then, Hawthorne has won 16 American Legion National Championships (back when the A.L. Nats really meant something).

And by the way... This is the sixty-fifth CONSECUTIVE year of competition for Hawthorne. Call me when any other corps reaches that pinnacle.

So we come a little forward in time, to the DCA years.... Hawthorne has won DCA nine times. And, in a thread that was here on DCP back in October or so, Hawthorne has the highest average finals placement of any corps in DCA.

And Hawthorne's only had five undefeated seasons (with kudos to the Buccaneers).

THAT'S HISTORY, my friend. Just so you know, drum corps didn't start in 2000, or even in 1990, or even in 1980.

There, I've vented.

Not to mention the longest running corps to never miss finals in any circuit and only 4 finishes outside of the top 5 in their 65 year history.

But remember, don't let facts get in the way of a good story...

We need to rename this the "Cabs history" thread as opposed to Wildwood...seriously, there were more groups at Wildwood worthy of discussion, right? I know and love the history of Cabs, but maybe that should go into the Cabs History forum and leave this discussion just on how Cabs (and MAYBE a couple of other corps!) did at...ummm...Wildwood?

:thumbup:

Let people discuss Wildwood 2011!