The Saginaw Saloon

Two shows with different judging panels. Also, the judges didn't (to my knowledge at least) have access to see the other judges' scores from the night before to make slotting easier for them. I guess the judges on Saturday were more ballsy.

Right: it's all about that, and not because 1) corps performed differently between Saturday and Sunday (I know at least one corps who improved placement Sunday performed better Sunday than Saturday) and 2) different judges saw different things they liked/disliked. :rolleyes:

sure. but really, what is the difference between a subset and a set? A subset is a certain number of counts, and a location where you are supposed to be. Just like a set.

just a check point between point A and B............but yes you can call it another set i suppose

just a check point between point A and B............but yes you can call it another set i suppose

For some sets, it's much more than just a check point. What I think some people are forgetting is that often the color guard drill is radically different (and not as complicated pound-for-pound) as the brass and percussion: in order to streamline the drill to make ensemble rehearsing as simple as possible, subsets are needed so everyone is on the same page (so to speak) when staff is calling out pages to stop/start/correct, etc.

Sorry, but that is incredibly naive. I get that some fans (most likely the vocal minority) want to see a finished product the first show of the season. But trying to call out the two most successful corps of the last decade for doing wrong/lacking a strategy teaching their show just plain ol' smacks as you a) having a personal axe to grind against a corps and/or just flat out not liking the corps in general and looking to quickly pounce on any reason to bash them or b) have no idea what you're talking about. Or both.

What you personally might think is "the" schedule to teach a show might not be what corps think is the correct schedule.

Out of curiosity, did you pay to attend one of the shows and/or pay to go the theater event Monday?

The implication here, is of course that where you place determines your excellence in teaching, and whether or not, by not finishing a show you are "right or wrong". Both of which are not true. I have no axe to grind. Nice try, trying to make it personal instead of making it about the issue.

I PERSONALLY think that the first show is the first show. The product should be on the field. This is not a difficult concept to grasp, by many, except you.

I attend a show and the theater experience. In fact, yesterday I wrote a check for $35 to the corps that deemed my attendance worthy enough to finish their shows. So yes, I'm a paying ticket holder for two DCI events, and yes, I put my money where my mouth is.

Two shows with different judging panels. Also, the judges didn't (to my knowledge at least) have access to see the other judges' scores from the night before to make slotting easier for them. I guess the judges on Saturday were more ballsy.

More ballsy, maybe but I'm not totally sure. I'm guessing it's just a case where the first panel may have individually been more predisposed to call the first show 'as they saw it', rather than refer to last year's trends and keep it "in the ballpark" from last year's rankings. If that could be considered more ballsy, then yes...they were. It is IMHO the way all shows should be judged, but Sunday's scores sort of looked or seemed as if many of the judges played it 'safe' and will let others sort it all out over the coming few weeks, thus avoiding any political controversy with the power staffs that be.

As for penalizing or lowering the scores of corps that presented incomplete shows, which Cesario as DCI's creative director and agent indicated wouldn't happen (cough! bull#### cough!), it is apparent that just didn't happen or was mere hype to sell the weekend in his interviews on Field Pass. SOS, different year. Corps that actually put out a complete show weren't really rewarded for such and pretty much placed below the corps that didn't march complete productions, with the obvious exception of Crown and Cadets. Also by looking at the recaps it seems that in many cases the relative placings or scores throughout closely resembled those of last year with little sign of intestinal fortitude on the part of the judges to actually evaluate, rank and rate the shows on those nights.

Which brings us to another sticky point which I would like to toss out for discussion. Do you think that the "Rankings" in DCI's score section gives the judges too much information and opens it up for slotting, thus hindering a corps who makes big improvements in performance areas who could or should move up? Should those rankings be eliminated from DCI's webpage? If you have followed the rankings closely over the past few years, did you notice any big changes in the placements caption-wise or just incremental changes for all? Food for thought.....

Edited by Hypemeister

Prep/rehearsal is the answer of course. But drum corps is much smaller than years past (not sure how many corps were active when you were active) and kids have to travel great distances to get to the practice sites. Two-a-month rwould be a dream killer for many in a shrinking corps population environment. I guess I'm suggesting that logic, no matter how correct it is, doesn't always give you the best solution.

I get what you're saying, but I'll counter with the premise that there is enough talent in the Bay Area to easily fill the ranks of BD and SCV, plus a few more. The same can be said for other areas with large population bases. So, why aren't there more World Class corps from LA, Chicago, New York, Dallas, etc.? Man, isn't that the $64M question?

And to the guy who stated that a whole show BITD was equivalent to one set in a current show, eh not really. Different animal, and that's not what my statement implied. I think you actually may have helped my theory. Wouldn't a WC corps with a local talent base be able to rehearse more often and kick butt in the current drum corps world?

There are so many variables, and so many possible results, to any argument we may propose. But you have to admit that areas that used to support several strong organizations have double or triple the population base than in 1970 or 1980, yet corps recruit all over the country and ignore the talent in their own region. And don't think the local kids don't bother because of the perception that they don't have a chance.

At any rate, the objective should be to get a whole show on the field, especially in a season that doesn't start until past mid-June.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I agree that there's enough talent...is there enough interest? Kids have a lot of choices on how to spend their summer and their money. Drum Corps consumes most of both.

I get what you're saying, but I'll counter with the premise that there is enough talent in the Bay Area to easily fill the ranks of BD and SCV, plus a few more. The same can be said for other areas with large population bases. So, why aren't there more World Class corps from LA, Chicago, New York, Dallas, etc.? Man, isn't that the $64M question?

<snip>

Garry in Vegas

I agree that there's enough talent...is there enough interest? Kids have a lot of choices on how to spend their summer and their money. Drum Corps consumes most of both.

You are totally right. People argue that there were sooooooooo many corps back in the day...well that'the point back in the daykids have many more choices then we all did and are very selective how they will spend their time and money.

And to the guy who stated that a whole show BITD was equivalent to one set in a current show, eh not really. Different animal, and that's not what my statement implied. I think you actually may have helped my theory. Wouldn't a WC corps with a local talent base be able to rehearse more often and kick butt in the current drum corps world?

There are so many variables, and so many possible results, to any argument we may propose. But you have to admit that areas that used to support several strong organizations have double or triple the population base than in 1970 or 1980, yet corps recruit all over the country and ignore the talent in their own region. And don't think the local kids don't bother because of the perception that they don't have a chance.

At any rate, the objective should be to get a whole show on the field, especially in a season that doesn't start until past mid-June.

I don't think the local vs. global recruiting is the issue....in fact, I think a corps can be better prepared for that first show by virtue of recruiting all college-aged kids no matter where they come from, so that they can all be moved in a week before Memorial Day, enabling the corps to conduct four weeks of all-day rehearsals prior to opening day. Most (if not all) of the corps in this opening weekend are on that schedule.

I don't think the local vs. global recruiting is the issue....in fact, I think a corps can be better prepared for that first show by virtue of recruiting all college-aged kids no matter where they come from, so that they can all be moved in a week before Memorial Day, enabling the corps to conduct four weeks of all-day rehearsals prior to opening day. Most (if not all) of the corps in this opening weekend are on that schedule.

That only works if you assume all college kids are done with school by the end of May. In OR the state schools don't finish till the second week of June. I can't imagine they're the only state that finishes in June.