Austin Sauna and Suds

Without an established criteria and guidelines for the fans to be asked to base their vote on, the whole voting thing is ridiculous and meaningless in my opinion.

For example, if I voted for my " favorite " based upon execution, demand, performance, etc... technical skills exhibited in the performance,... this would be a whole different choice than if I based my choice of " favorite " based upon ( say ) pure entertainment and enjoyment of music, visual, theme, ie.. the ability to connect with me on some level with the show, etc.

For example, one criteria used would have me easily choosing the Blue Devils as the most technically profient Corps as my " favorite " last season. They deserved to be judged " the best " last year, imo. But if the criteria I used was " pure entertainment ", the 2010 BD Corps would be nowhere near my first choice then as my " favorite " from last year.

So without giving fans the criteria they should use, then it's like trying to nail jello to a wall with a hammer and nail. It's an absurd thing to think it will work the way we hope, imo.

I call BS, any fan is capable of determining they liked corps X better than corps Y, and that's all this is supposed to be, their own personal reactions to the show regardless of education ,age, preference or bias. There is a REASON this scoring has no real impact, it's just for FUN.

I can guarante you that there are a lot of kids in BD, SCV, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Cadets, and pretty much every drum corps that are from TX. Who has the highest percentage? I dunno. But maybe be the results of the fan voting just MIGHT have been influenced by the corps performance on the field. I am pretty sure if SCV would have played and marched better, they would have placed higher in the fan vote.

1st off, if I'm at the show and asked to vote on " favorites" in the performance, I don't care if a Corps staff lives in Texas, California, Guatamala, or Finland. It has NO bearing on my particular vote. At all. I could care less where the staff lives. I think that'd be true with ALL audiences... everywhere. Unless the fan knows personally some of the Corps staff. Then we could see some edge there. So where the staff lives seems irrelevent to me in all this. None of the staff went on the field in performance in which the fans voted on. So thats out, imo.

As for who has the biggest percentage of marchers this year from the State of Texas...( for example ) Blue Devils or the Cavaliers, I'd say The Cavaliers. By a pretty large margin too. If I'm wrong on this, I'd be willing to modify my stance that going into this show the Cavaliers ( and Bluecoats ) had a built in advantage in the Texas Text gig than did the BD and SCV. But like I said, who really cares about the Texas Text vote. Come Finals, nobody will remember it. I might forget about it by the 4th of July,... if not sooner.

Edited by BRASSO

^ exactly.

Just like American Idol. Or Miss America. Or the 2008 presidential election...

Just a popularity contest.

• Like 2

I put my money on madisons contras

Excuse me, but they ain't got nothin on CCC (Carolina Crown Contras-- the SWEET SIXTEEN) :thumbup:

I can't speak to Madison, having not seen them, but as CCrown, their book doesn't compare to what the Bluecoats contras are doing, especially during their feature in Harvest. (Split into four parts, four players trilling on High B, resolving to High C.)

I wouldn't get too worked up over what corps has what staff from where. Honestly, the folks around me didn't even realize the names of every corps or what the show was going to be, much less minutae like the staff members of each section. I think we're overthinking this on here sometimes.

Mike

• Like 2

So, this fan voting thing was cute and all, but is there any word on when we're going to find out the actual scores from the events this weekend?

The results from the weekend shows should be announced at the end of tonight's movie program/version of last night's show. At about 9:30pm eastern time tonight, someone on DCP will probably post the scores.

I won't see the scores until 9:30pm central time (unless I peek at DCI or DCP)

The folks at the movies on the West Coast could, if they wanted, know the scores BEFORE they go to the movie theater.

....I think I will leave my iPhone in my pocket and watch the 'live' announcement of the scores with my friends at the theater. It will be more fun that way.

Its going to be interesting how they present the drum corps show tonight at the movie theater and what they do to 'fill in' between corps. I doubt if they will just leave the cameras on the field and show everyone setting up or collecting things and marching off the field. They must have something up their sleeves!

The Blue Stars took 2nd in the very first DCI Finals in 1972, and were very good for 4-5 years after that. They are a founding member of DCI and now they are back to where they should be, and it's about time for this long-lost piece of drum corps history to come and earn back their respect. (us Blue Star fans are passionate, aren't we?)

Amen!!! I said it last year also, WELCOME BACK BLUE STARS!!!!..... now just bring back the hot pants :) (crud, at 50 I now sound like a dirty old man. Sorry. But when I was 19 I loved them!)

• Like 2

To me the Blue Stars are one of the great stories in drum corps that many dont know about and is not being told. Having been a powerhouse, and then having come back from death following the 82 season to where they are now, having made the top 8 three years in a row, is remarkable. The executive director of the Blue Stars, Brad Furlano, being named director of the year is LONG overdue in my opinion.

• Like 3

I call BS, any fan is capable of determining they liked corps X better than corps Y, and that's all this is supposed to be, their own personal reactions to the show regardless of education ,age, preference or bias. There is a REASON this scoring has no real impact, it's just for FUN.

Exactly. While it's no shock to see people freaking out about fan text voting for their favorite corps/performance, I can't believe the debate continues to rage on.

This is nothing more than a fun way for funs to get involved!

• Like 2