2011 Rankings

Sure if you assume that the guy with the higher number is always right. Maybe the guy with the lower number is the more experienced judge with different (lower) number tolerances. Plus you need to take into consideration where each guy goes during the performance. Is he always in the right position. (With the leg line, while the pit) is playing. I would agree that the performances may have been relatively the same if not slightly better.

However, after looking at your numbers, it looks like the guy at Scranton had a "Small Corps, Small Number" issue. Thus the wide spread (THIS IS THE REAL ISSUE - SPREADS)between Cabs, vs Bush and Fusion. Bush and Fusion have nice lines In fact it's Bush's strongest section and IMO not that far off Cabs if not in the same ball park. I think the guy in Seacacus actually judged the show with an open mind and probably closer to what I've seen and heard from both of them this season.

I will not disagree with you one bit there...in fact, I think there have been quite a few instances of "Small corps, small number" this year with quite a few judges, and not just in percussion. It is an issue I would think needs to be addressed for the sake of the organization.

WOW! To paraphrase; an adjudicator should look at tote sheets and rundowns from other shows they have judged all season and place a performance group accordingly based on box placement and relative to everyone else they have seen all season? That statement in itself speaks volumns, and not in a good way.

Otherwise... how do the scores relate? If I saw someone the week before that did a better job in that caption... should I give a higher number out to the corps I see in front of me at that moment that wasn't as good!? Is that fair to the group I saw the week before? Is that fair to inflate a number to the corps I just saw? Is that something someone with integrity should really do!? And you're saying that's a BAD thing to do that? That's what adjudication IS in part.... Sheesh! I think you'd better clarify your rather loose statement. What do you think an adjudicator does!? Throw darts at a board for a given week so the scores go up or just add .3 to both boxes every week so everyone goes home happy thinking they've grown?

What I described there is a "linear system". BoA has used a Linear for 30 + years, DCI uses it- and I darned well assume DCA *still* uses a linear to give some form of rough comparison within its circuit. There has to be some kind of a relationship from corps to corps from week to week to give the system some validity. There will be a statisical window, sometimes a larger one than at other times. You can't just throw out x on week y for giggles. Well- you can... but again, that's a mockery of the system.

Adjudicators keep tote sheets and rundowns from previous contests from that season for just that reason. You want to know where you stood with a corps, and where they stand now. You want to be a consistent adjudicator, and fair instead of just picking numbers out willy-nilly for that week. Why is that a bad thing, huh? You're telling the adjudicator to just wing it and throw out what they think will stick and make everyone happy on DCP and not worry about comparing the number to their previous scoring? You want to talk about a real problem and a mockery, that's what you appear to be advocating.

Believe me, DCA instructional staffs keep a close watch on those things and an adjudicator's previous track records with other corps as well as the track record with their own unit, and if they started to see wild fluctuations or bizarre relationships, they'd be asking serious questions to that adjudicator, and deservedly so. It all interlocks. And yet... that's bad. :blink: Yeah. Uh-huh.

Edited by BigW

How did Govies jump up 7 points in score and Fusion only move up 3.

• Like 1

Otherwise... how do the scores relate? If I saw someone the week before that did a better job in that caption... should I give a higher number out to the corps I see in front of me at that moment that wasn't as good!? Is that fair to the group I saw the week before? Is that fair to inflate a number to the corps I just saw? Is that something someone with integrity should really do!? And you're saying that's a BAD thing to do that? That's what adjudication IS in part.... Sheesh! I think you'd better clarify your rather loose statement. What do you think an adjudicator does!? Throw darts at a board for a given week so the scores go up or just add .3 to both boxes every week so everyone goes home happy thinking they've grown?

What I described there is a "linear system". BoA has used a Linear for 30 + years, DCI uses it- and I darned well assume DCA *still* uses a linear to give some form of rough comparison within its circuit. There has to be some kind of a relationship from corps to corps from week to week to give the system some validity. There will be a statisical window, sometimes a larger one than at other times. You can't just throw out x on week y for giggles. Well- you can... but again, that's a mockery of the system.

Adjudicators keep tote sheets and rundowns from previous contests from that season for just that reason. You want to know where you stood with a corps, and where they stand now. You want to be a consistent adjudicator, and fair instead of just picking numbers out willy-nilly for that week. Why is that a bad thing, huh? You're telling the adjudicator to just wing it and throw out what they think will stick and make everyone happy on DCP and not worry about comparing the number to their previous scoring? You want to talk about a real problem and a mockery, that's what you appear to be advocating.

Believe me, DCA instructional staffs keep a close watch on those things and an adjudicator's previous track records with other corps as well as the track record with their own unit, and if they started to see wild fluctuations or bizarre relationships, they'd be asking serious questions to that adjudicator, and deservedly so. It all interlocks. And yet... that's bad. :blink: Yeah. Uh-huh.

ok i have to interject here. as a judge you do not score or place a corps based on last week or any other week. you score and place based on the show you are judgeing at that moment. to do it any other way is wrong. so on that point i completly disagree with you. if that's how it's done now then i give up on drum corps.

Better yet how did the Govies jump all those points and the Kilties loose points.

Its in the DCA rule book that Kilties must be the lowest scoring DCA corps in open class.

Didn't you get the memo????? SNORT!@#$%%^^ :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Better yet how did the Govies jump all those points and the Kilties loose points.

could it be that goveis did a better show sunday and kilties were worse? let me give you an example. i know this was a long time ago and judgeing has changed but in 1968 in syracuse the yankee rebelscame in 5th place one week. the very next week in hershey thay came in 1st. they were much better in hershey. now isn't it supposed to be that way? just like in sports. when your good you win when your bad you lose. i mean it's just common sense.

Edited by donincardona

this is about the 4th post like this i have seen. Stop complaining. Govies are better than the Kilties, its that simple.

No person's opinion (alumnus, member, etc) compared the quality of any corps, whatsoever, to another.

An "opinion" was expressed in relation to numbers; that's it. Implying any further is going quite a stretch and simply not true.

this is about the 4th post like this i have seen. Stop complaining. Govies are better than the Kilties, its that simple.