Your Theater Experience

Started at 7:00, but it was awesome, worth every pushup ill get for skipping practice.

• Like 1

You're were in The Cadets.

I couldn't say this last year, but I can say it this year. In my opinion, after seeing The Cadets 2011 edition tonite in the theatre, The Cadets have the goods this year to win it all. Not saying they will. But they seem to have the whole 9 nine yards thats needed in my opinion re. performance talent, show design integration, creativity, demand. But who knows. We'll see. Long way to go.

Agree 100%.

Well, maybe 95%. on the 'integration' front, it seems like over the last few years they've forgotten how to integrate the guard in visually interesting ways; or maybe it's better to say that next to BD and the Cavs, who're consistently among the best at big-picture visual integration, Cadets feel a little outdated... Not egregiously so, just by comparison; then again, given the guard uni's of late, and the fact that they seem really intent on preserving classic flag, saber and rifle 'lines' these days, I guess this is sort of their point. Either way, the corps proper's visual book is amazing. Love their drill, and usually I'm the guy who thinks their drill is difficult, distinctive, and yet not very aesthetically interesting.

I see myself rooting for the Cadets to take it, in the long run.

Edited by saxfreq1128

A-plus to all the kids for a game performance under adverse conditions. C-minus to DCI for production values. And not sure who to blame for this, but the theater for which I had bought the tickets, Regal in Arlington, VA, canceled and sent us on a wild drive through rush-hour traffic to Tysons Corner.

Back to production values--it was dark, dark, dark. I can understand having some issues balancing out the day time and night time performances, but none of them looked ideal. Slightly better under the lights than in the daylight for the first couple of corps.

And the sound was obviously a problem at DCI's end, since so many people experienced it in so many different theaters. Way too low before INT, way too loud at the end. Wish I could have heard Cavies, BD and Crown at the volume of the Blue Stars (and vice versa :)

Very young crowd at Tysons, and very few stayed for the scores, fwiw. Didn't see the need for an intermission in the theater--would vastly prefer a production that edits out almost everything but the performances. Thirty seconds of commentary before and after each corps would be plenty.

Given the sound problems, it's very difficult to have a clue about the music judging, since the production quality varied so wildly from one performance to the next.

I thought that the top three shows tonight were Cadets, Cavilers and Crown. There must be some serious politics going on to have the Blue Devils place where they did. They were flat out horrible!

Edited by ebo
  • Like 1

And the sound was obviously a problem at DCI's end, since so many people experienced it in so many different theaters. Way too low before INT, way too loud at the end. Wish I could have heard Cavies, BD and Crown at the volume of the Blue Stars (and vice versa :)

That is exactly what happened at the theater where I saw the show, at the Arundel Mills mall south of Baltimore. In particular, the volume during BD's show was very low.

A-plus to all the kids for a game performance under adverse conditions. C-minus to DCI for production values. And not sure who to blame for this, but the theater for which I had bought the tickets, Regal in Arlington, VA, canceled and sent us on a wild drive through rush-hour traffic to Tysons Corner.

did you get to Arlington really early? surprised you could make it to Tysons that fast, heh.

This was a lot better than I thought it would be. Some thoughts:

- Lots of dirt in all corps but it was still very enjoyable.

- Volume in theater was fine after they turned it up midway through BD.

- Good turn-out in Eagan, MN. Around 30-40 people.

- Sure was a tiny crowd there in Texas.

- The championship is a toss-up at this point.

- Not a lot of good drill from anyone except for Cadets.

- Can't say anything about guards because of the wind.

- Blue Stars should start placing higher soon.

- Blue Devils have a long way to go visually.

- Cavies not having a complete show was very awkward.

- Shouldn't take scoring very seriously right now. First reads for the judges. They are human after all.

- Any corps who does a retreat performance should loosen up and act like they enjoy being there.

- Too many whole note triads or chromatic runs put me right to sleep.

Edited by BDUFLS

I must admit I didn't really love any of the shows I saw tonight. I'm extremely disappointed after the (in my opinion) lackluster 2010 season. I thought 2003 was pretty lackluster too, and then 2004 blew me away. I was hoping for the same thing this year... not so much. Please keep in mind that I'm talking exclusively about show concepts/design.

BD - Possibly the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen. I can't believe the 14 time champs thought those were a good idea... wow. Anyway, it was nice to hear some melody from them. Still too much reliance on props. I think the judging community is a bit sick of the props as well and will score them accordingly throughout the season. Just a hunch.

Cavies - Some cool moments. Loved the upside down tenors. Not sold on the stilts. Drill was solid (as expected), but the music... unmemorable. Overall the show left me wanting more.

Bluecoats - Can't even think of one moment of the show. That's how unmemorable it was.

Crown - Still too much "Crown cheese" but I guess I'm starting to get used to it. First half of the show was very entertaining. Second half... will probably be re-written. ;) At least the closer, pretty please?

Cadets - I liked this show quite a bit. I usually hate the Cadets, so I'm surprised that they performed my favorite show of the evening. The dual-uniforms thing works for me. I'm impressed that Sacktig managed to write an entire drill book around it (he's not the most talented, in my opinion). But he pulled it off masterfully. Hopefully this show will win in August, that will help restore my faith in drum corps a bit.

Regiment - Nice to see them with an all-female guard again. New uniforms are solid and classy. The show is boring, though. After seeing such masterful guard integration/storytelling from them in the past it breaks my heart that every major "plot point" of this show was performed on a drum major podium on the back sideline. What the heck, Phantom? Write that stuff into the show, i.e. on the field.

SCV - FML. This design team has the thickest skulls on the planet. You'd think after last year they'd stay away from the angry dissonance. Nope. I was dumbfounded. What a boring show.

Blue Stars - I have no idea how SCV is beating them. The brassline is amazing (comparatively). The prop was under-utilized, but could be cool in the future. Synth was WAY too loud. All in all a solid show, should beat SCV's butt pretty soundly by August.

Overall I was underwhelmed by tonight's show. I guess I'm turning in to a dinosaur? Meh. Hopefully Cesario's new rules address these show design problems. I feel like show designs are taking a step backward. They were FINALLY starting to be more crowd friendly and entertaining... now it looks like 1990's drum corps.

Hopefully every group implements some big changes before Finals. If not, this might be the last Finals I attend in person. It's just not worth it anymore.

• Like 1

Hmm. Here goes. I apologize in advance if I sound overly critical, any complaints I might have are directed towards staff and show designers, not at the (incredibly talented) young musicians marching. Also, keep in mind that this was a movie theater, and if I saw these shows in real life I would have liked them a WHOLE lot more.

1. Blue Devils- Fell asleep. Don't remember it. (Just kidding, but for real, write some drill BD! Watching people wander and follow-the-leader around a football field, and then park and blast just doesn't do it for me, no matter how good the brass and percussion is.)

2. Cavaliers- Quite the contrast from BD. Not sure how BD's blob show will be able to compete with the visual demand of this beast. Brass really on top of it this year. I'm not a drummer, so I don't know much about drums, but I assume they were good. Didn't like the guard outfits so much, but I guess that's kind of nit-picky. Huge theatre crowd reaction to the upside down tenors. I think this show or the Cadets have the greatest chance at winning this year.

3. Bluecoats- I'd heard a lot of bad about this show, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it not only watchable, but - gasp - good! I'm probably biased though, I'm a big fan of the Bloo.

4. Carolina Crown- Too cheesy for my taste, didn't understand what was going on in the ballad between the male and female guard members. Also, I've never seen ballet dancing at a rock concert! (guard in the ballad) Obviously, the brass is smoking like always, and they're pretty clean for how early it is. Really, really, really, really wish they would have ended with Bohemian Rhapsody. The music in the 2nd half wasn't very memorable. Looked like they were having a freakin' ball performing it though!

5. Cadets- Holy cow. Talk about intense! Those guys were really haulin' the mail, and they sounded great at the same time. The first show of the evening that kept me fully engaged all the way through. I thought they were going to win for sure, but I guess that's why I'm not a DCI judge. Great ballad, awesome drum battle, great ending. Not sure why the guard guys were wearing skirts though. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think cross-dressing is weird.

6. Phantom Regiment- After all the "progressive" shows that the evening began with, it was really nice cleansing the palate with a classic, simple show. Only one of the night that gave me chills (I could listen to those mellos forever), but then again, I've always been a fan of overly-emotional shows. My personal fav. Enjoyed the all-female colorguard! (Giggity) ;)

7. Vanguard- Get that brass together and that drill cleaned, and this could be a really, really great show. Or, you know, don't, and it won't be. Hot percussion. My 3rd favorite of the night. Very musically engaging! Glad to see them still doing what they do best.

8. Blue Stars- I will post a review for the Blue Stars as soon as they get that male colorguard soloist out of that leather cupless-man-bra thing and into an outfit that is less offensive. For real guys, cross dressing is weird.

Overall, DCI doesn't really know how to put on a good movie. The corps were too quiet and the announcers were too loud. Too much dead air between shows. Could have shaved an hour off of the broadcast and still gotten the same effect. Biggest audience reaction in the theater (Lexington, KY) was boos when Crown was announced as the winner of the first night, boos when Blue Stars were announced in 8th, boos when Phantom was announced in 6th, and naturally, cheers when the Cavies were announced in first. Also, there was a lot of snickering and some flat out laughing at some of the awkward close ups of guard and pit members.

My favorite moments:

1. Elsa's (although it could be louder... it could ALWAYS be louder!! haha)

2. Cadets drum battle

3. Cavies upside down tenors

4. That 30 seconds of Crown's show where they belted out some Bohemian Rhapsody

5. Coats' tubas

6. I ate some Sour Patch Kids. Mmmmmm....

Next time I will definitely see the shows live, not in a movie theater!!! It just doesn't translate.

• Like 2

Sound quality was horrible. I expected loud and complete sound as if i wee there. some minor problems after intermission before the Cadets took the field. No actual problems during any performances. Wishing the sound was better.